+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks missie mack. Crumpets are perfect!! I tried the porridge but it was too mushy for her to pick up.

Have the old rules about no egg whites before a certain age gone out the window now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started my DD on finger food at 5.5 months and she loves it. It has been mostly fruit and veggies with the odd piece of bread. She loves mushroom, broccoli and I've started steaming the veg with garlic. She loves it. Yes, it is messy, but the cat loves his pumpkin and helps clean up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    6 months is recommended as that is the age they can normally sit unassisted, lose their tongue thrust and can start picking things up ( a couple of weeks either side 6 months if they are ready would be fine)

We alternate 3 breakfasts as I think too much wheat is not good for little tummies plus you want to try get them used to variety, we alternated between toast with either nut butters/avocado or egg pancakes or quinoa porridge with fruit and Sunday's is banana pancake day!

Egg pancakes ( just 2 eggs cooked in a small egg pan the size of a pancake) are a brilliant BLW foods as you cut them into thick strips so they are easy to hold, I add whatever veggies/food I have on hand - this morning DS had tomato/basil/feta and I had chia seeds to pretty much all his food - eggs are fine after 6 months as long as there are no allergies in the family

Porridge- I make it from puffed quinoa and added his formula ( when he was younger now just A2 milk or almond milk) and some banana or pear cut into pieces- I started this about 7 months and made it thick and loaded the spoon for him to feed himself ( yes very messy initially !)

They go through stages of throwing food - mainly because they can! But after a few days they just eat it as they are hungry - this is another reason BLW is perfect as you feed them what you eat mostly so you are not wasting food or making separate meals!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids liked scrambled eggs, toast, dry cereal, fruit. I always started with plain rye bread then moved onto seeded types.

Yep, it's messy I would usually only give a few pieces at a time, so maybe a small bowl on the highchair tray which I'd refill from a larger bowl. Or for many finger foods, just straight on the tray. My older son was only 2 when the younger was starting BLW so I was always cleaning the dining room floor anyway!
    For lunch, we'd often (and still do!) have picnics out in the garden or in the loungeroom.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok wow! So why can't you assist them eating in addition to them feeding themselves? And why are purees not what nature intended? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If you assist them you could be forcing them to either eat too much or eat too big of a piece etc they say that a baby knows what it wants, what it needs and how much ( just like us!) so give them the choice , sometimes you eat more, sometimes your not as hungry, babies are the same !

Babies only need purees if they are too young to eat/chew ( which is why BLW is not recommended under 6 months as they are too young)

Purees, is a western trend, after WW1 when formula and rice cereals / jarred baby food were invented the trend was to stop breastfeeding and feed the babies earlier, in the 1950,s they recommended feeding solids at
    8 weeks! Now its back to 6 months and food is fun before 1 mantra is because breast milk is the most important food until 1 !

most other cultures still breastfeed until over 1 and feed the baby the food the whole family eats , and don't use pre packaged or bland baby food in a jar!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    If you assist them you could be forcing them to either eat too much or eat too big of a piece etc they say that a baby knows what it wants, what it needs and how much ( just like us!) so give them the choice , sometimes you eat more, sometimes your not as hungry, babies are the same !

Babies only need purees if they are too young to eat/chew ( which is why BLW is not recommended under 6 months as they are too young)

Purees, is a western trend, after WW1 when formula and rice cereals / jarred baby food were invented the trend was to stop breastfeeding and feed the babies earlier, in the 1950,s they recommended feeding solids at
    8 weeks! Now its back to 6 months and food is fun before 1 mantra is because breast milk is the most important food until 1 !

most other cultures still breastfeed until over 1 and feed the baby the food the whole family eats , and don't use pre packaged or bland baby food in a jar!
    So when my son was 4 months and leaning in with his mouth wide open for food, I shouldn't have given it to him? There was no way he could've fed himself then. And also for a very long time mothers have been chewing food and giving it to their kids, apparently we have certain enzymes in our mouths to help them digest it. This is where I get confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah used to grab for DH beer when he was younger with mouthing motions but that didn't mean we needed to give it too him!! Babies are very clever and mimic chewing and grab for anything and put all kinds of objects in their mouths! but, in my and others opinions until approx 6 months they are not physically ready - sitting up etc as I mentioned before not to mention things like their pancreatic enzymes are not formed yet to break down starches , every baby is different but we are talking about BLW and that is the main principle , waiting until they are physically ready

Pre-mastication was ( and still is in some cultures) a great way of breaking up food for babies when weaning ( at the right age) especially when there are no knives to cut! I used to chew or bite Elijah's olives/orange in half or bite down on his fish just to double check for bones!

It is confusing if you have never done BLW before but you have to be comfortable in which way you choose to wean, if you are not 100% comfortable maybe it's not for you, I really do recommend reading the book if you can!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It is confusing if you have never done BLW before but you have to be comfortable in which way you choose to wean, if you are not 100% comfortable maybe it's not for you, I really do recommend reading the book if you can!
    Definately pick up a copy of the book if you can 'Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley'. Your library will most likely have it otherwise you can get it cheap from thebookdepository.com

BLW can be a bit confusing and scary (fear of choking on finger foods) without knowing much about it. The book explains it all perfectly and once you read it you realise how natural it actually is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lupa View Post
    Ok wow! So why can't you assist them eating in addition to them feeding themselves? And why are purees not what nature intended? Thanks!
    When you feed bubs you tell them what to eat and how much to eat and the order in which to eat it in. When bubs feed themselves they eat want their body nutritionally wants/needs and they regulate the amounts they eat.

Nature doesnt provide solid food as mush. Mushy foods (first foods) should be naturally acquird ie avocado, paw paw, mango, peaches etc. Thats why in many African countries babies are fed pawpaw/papaya as a first food.... In India its mango/paw paw/chickoo.

I agree with Elijah's mum about the feeding themselves bit. BLW allows babies/toddlers/children/adults to explore their meals. Babies learn the different textures between vegetables/pasta/meat/fish/chicken. Broccoli florets are a great example- DD was fascinated by them for ages and still is. Eating foods in their natural form allows both you the adult and your child to eat food that low in preservatives/additives.

I pre masticate some foods (mainly fish to make sure I got all the bones out) to assist in DD's consumption. When she was smaller I'd chomp down on some steak and then let her suck the juices out and knaw on the meat.

Now I serve myself and DD on one plate and we share a meal. she has her spoon and I have mine DD is 20mths old.