+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby led weaning

I don't know much about BLW but am very interested in infant nutrition. I would love to know what peoples definition of BLW is, are there rules?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm reading baby led weaning by Gill Rapley. Also reading 'creating healthy families' by Karen Ranzi. Both excellent so far!!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    basically put food in front of bub, and let them go for it!
    DD started on steamed pumpkin and carrot sticks, broccolli florets and cheese cut into sticks. She had grapes (1/2) grated apple and orange slices for lunch, macaroni or spiral pasta with dinner (anything they can pick up easily)
    Then we moved to sandwiches, and thick soups with bread to dip.
    When she was about 1 she had started on corn on the cob, whole chops/sausages/chicken drumsticks
    We have never spoon fed her or messed around with purees/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    basically put food in front of bub, and let them go for it!
    DD started on steamed pumpkin and carrot sticks, broccolli florets and cheese cut into sticks. She had grapes (1/2) grated apple and orange slices for lunch, macaroni or spiral pasta with dinner (anything they can pick up easily)
    Then we moved to sandwiches, and thick soups with bread to dip.
    When she was about 1 she had started on corn on the cob, whole chops/sausages/chicken drumsticks
    We have never spoon fed her or messed around with purees/
    How do you know what size portions (i.e. sticks of food etc) to give?

Do you need to work up to things like pasta spirals or is that a starter type food?

You mentioned 1/2 grapes - do you actually mean simply grapes cut in half? How do they not choke?

I would really live to do BLW but I just keep second guessing myself.

Sorry for the dumb questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Subscribing as I hope to try BLW with DS in a few months and would live some tips

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Bboys View Post
    How do you know what size portions (i.e. sticks of food etc) to give?

Do you need to work up to things like pasta spirals or is that a starter type food?

You mentioned 1/2 grapes - do you actually mean simply grapes cut in half? How do they not choke?

I would really live to do BLW but I just keep second guessing myself.

Sorry for the dumb questions!
    We started BLW at 6 months ( definitely read the book ) and started with roasted sweet potato cut into crinkle cut ( easier to hold!) thick chip shaped sticks and steamed broccoli cut with the stem long enough for him to hold and raw cucumber sticks ( skin on ) cut into thick chip shaped sticks as well ( used these to dip into goats yogurt) after a few days we also gave him avocado ( skin on cut into wedges - easy to pick up with skin in) and pear wedges , the size of portions we gave were big enough to hold

After a few weeks he had the hang of gumming and chewing and swallowing so we gave him spagetti noodles just with a bit of olive oil and garlic on - he inhaled them!

By 7 months he was eating olives cut into pieces, their gums are very strong and they "chew" with their gums then swallow - choking never happened as he learnt from day 1 how to chew and swallow ( puréed foods don't teach them to chew , just swallow )

By 8 months he was eating poached chicken cut into strips, lamb cutlets (just whole) , peices of fish, prawns, all veggies, all fruits, toast, nut butters , pasta , greek salad and just about everything we ate , his favorite dinner being Indian butter chicken and rice , people at restaurants would just stare!

I promise you , try it and you will be so glad you did, nature did not intend babies to eat purees , they are naturally able to bite/chew and swallow ( when you wait until at least 6 months) as long as you allow them to go at their own pace and pick up food themselves , but be warned its very messy in the beginning! 18 month old DS now drinks from a cup and eats with a spoon or fork quite neatly!

Sorry to ramble on but I am very passionate about BLW!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 21-04-2012 at 22:23.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

2Bboys  (23-04-2012),jemmajam  (21-04-2012),lovesushi  (21-04-2012),summastarlet  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did similar to trishalishous. Started with steamed vegie sticks - his first 'meal' was a piece of broccoli and a piece of sweet potato. I'd cut veg into a chip shape big enough that he could get a good grip and munch on it.
    My kids both loved toast fingers, I would mash leftover vegies onto them.
    Pasta, I think I started spirals at about 8 months? (hard to remember sorry!)

They loved to have their own spoon or fork too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone got any suggestions for brekky apart from the obvious toast?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! I thought purees were the only way!
    But is BLW really messy? Do they throw food everywhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a question, should you definitely wait until 6 months? DS is nearly 6 months (in about 2 weeks) but I think he's really ready to try some food now and I really want to do BLW. He can hold his head up well and sit assisted.