+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,909
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked
    381
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, I'm Christian (Pentecostal) as well and like a couple of other posters have said I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school- I just think the differences between what they teach and what we follow at home/ what they hear at church are too great.

    It sounds like a really tough decision though, with the local schools in your area not being good and the other school costing a whole heap more! I hope you manage to find a solution that works for your family

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Country NSW
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked
    152
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Thank you for your polite response, may i ask what 'grey areas' you are referring to?

    ETA - also Paul and Peter based those decisions firmly on the scriptures tho, not their own ideas
    This is the right topic for a great discussion but could highjack this thread!

    To answer briefly, though, we Christians take Jesus' teachings as the basis of our own morality, at the least - for many of us (like you and I and many other BHers ), He gives our life its purpose.

    But some of these teachings are open to interpretation (the "eat my flesh and drink my blood" bit, for example) and some modern issues were not explicitly addressed in the Gospels (contraception?) - we need to carefully interpret what we think He wanted.

    You will remember that St Peter, in Acts, receives a vision which he interprets as meaning that the Jewish prohibition on pork is lifted. He and other church leaders also resolve that circumcision, obligatory for Jewish males, is unnecessary to be a Christian.

    Jesus did not specifically state either of these things but we accept that Peter and the other leaders at that time had the authority to make these decisions.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    1,042
    Thanked
    396
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    This is the right topic for a great discussion but could highjack this thread!

    To answer briefly, though, we Christians take Jesus' teachings as the basis of our own morality, at the least - for many of us (like you and I and many other BHers ), He gives our life its purpose.

    But some of these teachings are open to interpretation (the "eat my flesh and drink my blood" bit, for example) and some modern issues were not explicitly addressed in the Gospels (contraception?) - we need to carefully interpret what we think He wanted.

    You will remember that St Peter, in Acts, receives a vision which he interprets as meaning that the Jewish prohibition on pork is lifted. He and other church leaders also resolve that circumcision, obligatory for Jewish males, is unnecessary to be a Christian.

    Jesus did not specifically state either of these things but we accept that Peter and the other leaders at that time had the authority to make these decisions.

    Thanks for your reply, The disciples were born along by holy spirit in minor matters that arose yes, But always 'reasoned from the scriptures'. Even with regards to circumcision, the nation of Israel proved unworthy of that trust by rejecting the true Seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ. Hence, they were rejected by God, and their state of circumcision ceased to have any meaning in God’s eyes. However, some Christians in the first century C.E. insisted that circumcision was still a requirement of God. (Acts 11:2, 3; 15:5) Because of this, the apostle Paul sent Titus to “correct the things that were defective” in various congregations.

    He knew this requirement from the mosaic law was no longer relevant (as were many others from the mosaic law) and that Jesus was the new covenant which overid the mosaic law.

    So by grey areas you mean things like contraception, which of course depending what contraception you use is a personal choice you make, agreed. As the bible doesnt say anything specific about it. ( Unless it entails abortion)

    But those grey areas are very very few wouldnt you agree? Core bible truths and doctrines are not open to interpretation, they are to be clear and understood. Thats the whole point of Gods word. 'taking in knowledge means everlasting life' It harmonizes if you let it guide your thinking , not use it to fit in with your own ideals or traditions

    But what about all the other non scriptural core church practices and teachings? celebrations, symbols and practices that are known to be pagan? They are not grey areas at all, rather the bible is ignored in favor of church tradition,.... they blatantly contradict and ignore the bible. for instance, the pope - and cellibacy just to name 2 -

    Ask yourself ...have u really looked into the bible and checked?

    (1) Does the Bible support the claim that Peter was the first pope?

    (2) What does history teach about the origin of the succession of popes?

    (3) Do the conduct and teachings of the popes support their claim to be Peter’s successor?

    Ive discussed these questions at length on another thread with all the evidence mof scripture after scripture clearly showing the answers are no.

    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...o-marry/page14 (if ur interested to have a read)

    The bible also says there is nothing to be added to it or taken away, its complete in giving us all we need until new scrolls are open after Armageddon.

    Jesus told his disciples that the wine symbolized ('he said this means by body etc) his blood and the bread his body, not that they were his actual blood and body, its not open to interpretation cause the bible also tells us to 'abstain from blood'. And eating flesh would make them cannibals? They were clearly just emblems, and a model of the dignified, simple memorial of his death that he wanted his followers to continue to commemorate.

    Anyway i think we will just go around in circles, lovely to chat with you, have a nice evening

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't participate in this conversation, but it has been I interesting to read.

    I have to say I really agree with the last comment made.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Thanks for your reply, The disciples were born along by holy spirit in minor matters that arose yes, But always 'reasoned from the scriptures'. Even with regards to circumcision, the nation of Israel proved unworthy of that trust by rejecting the true Seed of Abraham, Jesus Christ. Hence, they were rejected by God, and their state of circumcision ceased to have any meaning in God’s eyes. However, some Christians in the first century C.E. insisted that circumcision was still a requirement of God. (Acts 11:2, 3; 15:5) Because of this, the apostle Paul sent Titus to “correct the things that were defective” in various congregations.

    He knew this requirement from the mosaic law was no longer relevant (as were many others from the mosaic law) and that Jesus was the new covenant which overid the mosaic law.

    So by grey areas you mean things like contraception, which of course depending what contraception you use is a personal choice you make, agreed. As the bible doesnt say anything specific about it. ( Unless it entails abortion)

    But those grey areas are very very few wouldnt you agree? Core bible truths and doctrines are not open to interpretation, they are to be clear and understood. Thats the whole point of Gods word. 'taking in knowledge means everlasting life' It harmonizes if you let it guide your thinking , not use it to fit in with your own ideals or traditions

    But what about all the other non scriptural core church practices and teachings? celebrations, symbols and practices that are known to be pagan? They are not grey areas at all, rather the bible is ignored in favor of church tradition,.... they blatantly contradict and ignore the bible. for instance, the pope - and cellibacy just to name 2 -

    Ask yourself ...have u really looked into the bible and checked?

    (1) Does the Bible support the claim that Peter was the first pope?

    (2) What does history teach about the origin of the succession of popes?

    (3) Do the conduct and teachings of the popes support their claim to be Peter’s successor?

    Ive discussed these questions at length on another thread with all the evidence mof scripture after scripture clearly showing the answers are no.

    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...o-marry/page14 (if ur interested to have a read)

    The bible also says there is nothing to be added to it or taken away, its complete in giving us all we need until new scrolls are open after Armageddon.

    Jesus told his disciples that the wine symbolized ('he said this means by body etc) his blood and the bread his body, not that they were his actual blood and body, its not open to interpretation cause the bible also tells us to 'abstain from blood'. And eating flesh would make them cannibals? They were clearly just emblems, and a model of the dignified, simple memorial of his death that he wanted his followers to continue to commemorate.

    Anyway i think we will just go around in circles, lovely to chat with you, have a nice evening
    Kinda like most churches choose to completely ignore the 4th Commandment "Keep the sabbath day holy"


    ***Sent from my phone***

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South Adelaide
    Posts
    3,457
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked
    416
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Kinda like most churches choose to completely ignore the 4th Commandment "Keep the sabbath day holy"


    ***Sent from my phone***
    Um no, churches, well, born again Christians live under the new covenant.


    ---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, Jesus did preach a new law that then trumped the Mosaic law. The Old Testament was a precursor to the New Testament. These days we don't abstain from pork, or adhere to laws about facial hair circumcision, etc. The Mosaic law was used to show the people of Israel that they couldn't be saved by their deeds. It was impossible not to break the law at some point. They needed to be shown that they needed grace, and that the grace of God was the only thing that would ever be able to save them. Jesus came to show them grace and showed them a new law.

    In fact the Pharisees tried to 'prove' Jesus wasn't the promised messiah by ridiculing him when he performed miracles on the Sabbath. (Matthew 12:10; Mark 3:2, John 9:14–16). The also attacked the disciple or picking wheat on the sabbath (Luke 6:2)

    The trap the Pharisees fell into was making rules for the sake of it instead of having a real relationship with God. They knew the scriptures inside out and knew of all the prophecies of the coming messiah, and yet didn't even recognize him when he was in front of them. They were so wrapped up in tradition that they overlooked the whole point.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

    ShanandBoc  (15-05-2012)

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I understand that.. But you're saying what the other poster said is inaccurate... It's inaccurate based on YOUR experience of the faith.. Each church is different and I'm sure that no 2 catholics believe EXACTLY the same thing... Do you?

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Exactly, each church is different!

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Um no, churches, well, born again Christians live under the new covenant.

    So in "new age" churches, they don't obey the commandments?
    ---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)


    ***Sent from my phone***

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    1,042
    Thanked
    396
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post

    So in "new age" churches, they don't obey the commandments?

    ***Sent from my phone***
    See this where we need to look to the bible again to see what it actually says.

    The 10 commandments were part of the Mosaic Law, so The Ten Commandments, as well as the rest of the Law, would thus prepare the Jews for the Messiah and guide them to him. When Jesus came, lived among them, and died perfectly obedient to the Law, he became “the end of the Law.” Then God removed that bar, as it were, and offered the Jews something better. Now they could “as a free gift” finally be “declared righteous by his undeserved kindness through the release by the ransom paid by Christ Jesus.”—Romans 3:24.

    Now, since Christians are not “under law,” (mosaic law) are they then freed from all moral restraints? Not at all. As Paul showed, Christians are being led by God’s holy spirit ( “You are not under law but under undeserved kindness” and, “If you are being led by spirit, you are not under law.”—Romans 6:14; Galatians 5:18.) and it does not lead anyone into sin. It urges them to stay away also from sins dealt with in the Ten Commandments. For example, if you read 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10, you will find several Christian laws that are similar to some of the Ten Commandments. They are the prohibitions against idolatry, adultery, stealing, and covetousness.

    So the 10 commandments that still applied were re stated in the new testament.

    Christ also summed up the old Law code, which included the Ten Commandments, with these two dictums: “You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind” and, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:37-39)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Big age difference between myself and DH
    By rachy82 in forum 20 something parents
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 29-07-2012, 16:49
  2. Non-Catholics working with CAth Ed- who did you get as a 'church' referee
    By OJandMe in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-07-2012, 15:34
  3. Catholics school mid year intake
    By onelasttime in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 07:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!