+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Umm not this ^^ Sorry poster. Catholics do indeed believe Christ is risen and whilst you may see pictures on him on the cross it is to remind us of his human sacrifice. The bible is pretty much the same as other bibles, just different interpretations for some things. The bible you are referring to is a Good News Bible which is the bible in simple everyday language. Other faiths have been known to do the same
    Umm...no...

The "extra" books that the Catholic Church use is called the Apocrypha or the Deutorocanonical books. These are books that do not appear in the regular Protestant Bible. Although I think High Church Anglicans use them too.. The standard books of the Bible are identical but the Apocrypha is something different altogether.

The Good News Bible is an English translation of the Bible and is available in both Catholic and Protestant editions...so both with and without the Apocrypha.

There are versions of the Bible that are Catholic-only (such as the New American Bible or Jerusalem Bible) but the Good News Bible is not exclusive to the Catholic church.

Just to clear that up.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your Dh is pentecostal, there will probably be a lot of things in the Catholic faith that contradict his own beliefs. Others have mentioned many here:

- Emphasis on Mary being sinless and the belief that she is able to intercede on our behalf to God
    - Saints and the belief that they too can intercede on our behalf
    - The Pope
    - Infant baptism, holy communion and then confirmation (some protestant churces do this too but not Pentecostals)
    - The Catholic church has 7 sacriments whereas everyone else has 2
    - Purgatory

There are more but these are few of the biggies. IMO the vast majority of practising pentecostals will have an issue with the above and therefore, with a Catholic education.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    sorry point 2 i am refering to thr part on use of the cross in worship.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Sorry I don't have biblical references for u (you will find most Catholics don't go around quoting chapter and verse like some of the other Christians, unless they were theologians, and perhaps older)...
    I Was just clarifying why we have a crucifix in our churches of christ's death. Its nit because we don't celebrate His resurrection because we do, in a big way.
    Anyway I was commenting on the practices of the catholic church and not trying to validate whether or not we should be doing them as that wasn't what the OP was concerned about..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post

- The Catholic church has 7 sacriments whereas everyone else has 2
    may I ask what the two are? Baptism and ?

Also we Catholics don't believe Mary is sinless... but she is gentle and pure and we believe in the immaculate conception.. Catholics believe the only Sinless person who walked our earth is Jesus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I haven't read all the replies but just commenting from my own experience. We are Christian - attend 2 churches, 1 baptist and 1 Christian Outreach Centre. For a little while, our 2 oldest children went to a Catholic School because it was the best school around the area. Lovely school but after awihle we became SO uncomfortable with some of their practices that we pulled the kids out and they now go to a Christian school an hour away from home. I asked our then 6 year old - who can you pray to...and he answered "Mary....and God" The Bible the school used was just the Good News Bible, not the Catholic Bible with the Apocrypha luckily but there were quite a few things that just didn't sit right with us. We love their new school as they believe the same we do

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just want to reply to the OP. The best advice, as far as I can see, both you and your husband need to check out the schools, speak with the principals, and then make a choice. It is very hard to have a discussion about which church is better or more suited to your beliefs when there is so many differences. Personally, I would choose a catholic school, but that is just my expierence. Marie.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    may I ask what the two are? Baptism and ?

Also we Catholics don't believe Mary is sinless... but she is gentle and pure and we believe in the immaculate conception.. Catholics believe the only Sinless person who walked our earth is Jesus.

Baptism and Communion

As for Mary not being sinless...that's new info to me! Granted, I'm not Catholic but I have always thought (after studying, talking to others etc) that Mary being sinless was a fairly standard Catholic teaching. In fact, I just had a quick look online at www.catholic.com and it's explained here:
    http://www.catholic.com/tracts/immac...and-assumption
    So your position is not the official Catholic teaching as far as I know, although as I said I'm not Catholic so maybe there is more than one teaching or something.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh after 12 years of catholic school and 30 years of catholic life...I was always sure that Mary was without sin..
    fromhttp://www.catholic.com/tracts/immac...and-assumption

The Immaculate Conception
    It’s important to understand what the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is and what it is not. Some people think the term refers to Christ’s conception in Mary’s womb without the intervention of a human father; but that is the Virgin Birth. Others think the Immaculate Conception means Mary was conceived "by the power of the Holy Spirit," in the way Jesus was, but that, too, is incorrect. The Immaculate Conception means that Mary, whose conception was brought about the normal way, was conceived without original sin or its stain—that’s what "immaculate" means: without stain. The essence of original sin consists in the deprivation of sanctifying grace, and its stain is a corrupt nature. Mary was preserved from these defects by God’s grace; from the first instant of her existence she was in the state of sanctifying grace and was free from the corrupt nature original sin brings.
    When discussing the Immaculate Conception, an implicit reference may be found in the angel’s greeting to Mary. The angel Gabriel said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene. It therefore expresses a characteristic quality of Mary.
    The traditional translation, "full of grace," is better than the one found in many recent versions of the New Testament, which give something along the lines of "highly favored daughter." Mary was indeed a highly favored daughter of God, but the Greek implies more than that (and it never mentions the word for "daughter"). The grace given to Mary is at once permanent and of a unique kind.Kecharitomene is a perfect passive participle of charitoo, meaning "to fill or endow with grace." Since this term is in the perfect tense, it indicates that Mary was graced in the past but with continuing effects in the present. So, the grace Mary enjoyed was not a result of the angel’s visit. In fact, Catholics hold, it extended over the whole of her life, from conception onward. She was in a state of sanctifying grace from the first moment of her existence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post

Baptism and Communion

As for Mary not being sinless...that's new info to me! Granted, I'm not Catholic but I have always thought (after studying, talking to others etc) that Mary being sinless was a fairly standard Catholic teaching. In fact, I just had a quick look online at www.catholic.com and it's explained here:
    http://www.catholic.com/tracts/immac...and-assumption
    So your position is not the official Catholic teaching as far as I know, although as I said I'm not Catholic so maybe there is more than one teaching or something.
    Thanx for that... If u are correct and if the website represents correctly the catholic understanding of this is, I guess I am wrong. I never really put that much thought into it and through all my catholic schooling/church going there was never a mention of whether or not she was sinless. It was more about her being pure, chaste, humble, prayerful and so on...
    I'll look into it further when I have some time... It doesn't change anything about my spirituality tho.. With or without original sin I will continue to see her in that same pure light that I always have...

Is communion a sacrament in all other churches? Don't people receive it whenever they want? Is there an actual first communion as such celebrated in all of Christianity?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No not as far as I'm aware. I'm Seventh day Adventist and we have communion every 13 th week which is the eating of the unleavened bread and the drinking of grape juice representing the blood of God. It's mainly for the adults though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast