+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Umm not this ^^ Sorry poster. Catholics do indeed believe Christ is risen and whilst you may see pictures on him on the cross it is to remind us of his human sacrifice. The bible is pretty much the same as other bibles, just different interpretations for some things. The bible you are referring to is a Good News Bible which is the bible in simple everyday language. Other faiths have been known to do the same

My DS goes to a school that teaches Christianity during class time. So basically just biblical studies instead of the ins and outs of a particular faith. If you send your child to a catholic school they would be expected to be involved in Mass. They also would be involved in the prep for sacrements (First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation) and be taught the teachings of the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is steeped in a lot of tradition so much so that you can basically walk into any Church in the world and have almost exactly the same mass. It doesn't appeal to everyone.
    If you are in doubt I would give it a miss...
    You are correct. I was more trying to explain the symbolism found in catholic churches but didn't explain it well.
    I wasn't referring to Good News Bible though, we use that in my Christian school. There is a catholic bible that has extra in the old testament. My friend had one, mind you that's the only time I've ever seen it!
    You are right too on what the kids would do at school as my friend worked in a catholic school and that's what they did I just didn't know the names of it.
    I work in a Christian school, we do once a week assembly, singing and a Bible story etc. it's very different to the catholic school down the road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Catholics also place a lot of importance on Mary, mother of Jesus. And often pray to her as a means of getting favour with Jesus.
    They also fundamentally (some do) believe you don't just get forgiven when asking, you need to pray or do things to get grace. Christians believe grace is given freely.
    Also, Catholics still place Jesus on the cross as crucified, like he hadn't risen again, whereas you won't find many Pentecostal churches where Jesus is still on the cross.
    Some Catholics have a Bible that has 'extra books' in the beginning. It has a special name, can't remember what it's called.
    I might be wrong on some of these things though because modern catholic churches can be different.
    You might find in a catholic school they offer mass rather than a chapel service, but I don't think you would notice much more. I don't think they go to deeply into it all.
    Sorry I'm not more helpful.
    You're quite wrong in most things u have said about Catholicism. I think ur better off pleading ignorance rather than having a stab at what the basic principles of it are.

Regarding Mary - some Catholics pray to Mary to intercede for us, as we do with saints. We do not pray to her as if she was a God. Others pray through Jesus.
    Catholics also believe "grace is freely given" if you ask with an honest n open heart. "ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find..." is a very common prayer we (I'm catholic) use.
    Jesus on the cross that you will see in our churches is as a reminder to us of the greatest sacrifice made by man for our sins. It is not in any way meant to depict that he "hadn't risen". Of course not. Easter (Christ's resurrection) is the greatest celebration/feast in the catholic church.
    The catholic bible does have a few extra 'books' (not at the beginning). These are books that we believe were in the original collection of books that the Pentecostals omitted when they broke away from the catholic church.

To answer the question - all those who believe in Christ consider themselves Christians. So i am Christian too. As someone mentioned they fundamentally have the same core beliefs but are different in some of their teachings.

In catholic schools you will see children receiving the sacraments.
    Baptism is usually soon after birth.
    Reconciliation (year 3 usually) - where they are taught to humble oneself and voice your sins to a priest and ask pardon from God.
    Communion (year 4) & Confirmation (year 7). Your child may want to receive these sacraments if his/her peers are receiving them which may cause issues for ur DH.
    Catholics believe in heaven, hell and purgatory. We pray for the dead, I know baptists don't.
    Catholics believe that it is possible for people of other religions to enter the kingdom of God. I know some Christians believe in the literal word of the bible that if you don't believe in Jesus ur doomed.
    I can see your DH's point... If he is a strong Pentecostal...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

7fornow  (22-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Brown sugar..
    Thanks for your post. I'm only speaking from my experience of a few friends and family who were/are catholic. That's the only experience I have. I'm not ignorant thanks.
    Just like many Christians have different ideas about their beliefs and faiths so do Catholics. I've never said Catholics weren't Christians either. Some are some aren't.
    The purpose of the OP was asking what happens in school too. I only know of my best friends school and the schools I've worked in. So that comes from experience too not ignorance.
    So I'll leave it at that. I'm sure this wasn't meant to be a 'angry' thread and I don't want to be involved in anything like that.
    Good luck with your decision OP. sorry if my response earlier has caused any distress. Certainly not the way it was intended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really don't know what to do

The only Christian private school here asks parents to sign a waiver to allow them to use the cane :/ um NO!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Mm I really don't think it's not keeping sabbath chatting on here, if I was looking at Ikeas websites then maybe ! Yeah I left the church in my teens and went back 8 years ago, what state are you in?
    Yes, I see wht you mean. Everyone's interpretation of doing no work on the sabbath is different.. Hence my mum and other elders being stricter I think:-) I'm in Qld

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam no distress at all. I find region fascinating and love hearing about everyone's interpretations

9. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post

The only Christian private school here asks parents to sign a waiver to allow them to use the cane :/ um NO!
    I thought this was illegal so looked it up. Apparently in Qld and SA it's not explicitly banned. Gosh, I didn't know this. I can see why you wouldn't like this. I certainly wouldn't. Though, and it doesn't make it better, they probably use it sparingly.
    Have you toured both schools? I think when you speak to the principal and walk around you get a vibe of what a school is like. It might help you and DH to do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brown sugar..
    Thanks for your post. I'm only speaking from my experience of a few friends and family who were/are catholic. That's the only experience I have. I'm not ignorant thanks.
    Just like many Christians have different ideas about their beliefs and faiths so do Catholics. I've never said Catholics weren't Christians either. Some are some aren't.
    The purpose of the OP was asking what happens in school too. I only know of my best friends school and the schools I've worked in. So that comes from experience too not ignorance.
    So I'll leave it at that. I'm sure this wasn't meant to be a 'angry' thread and I don't want to be involved in anything like that.
    Good luck with your decision OP. sorry if my response earlier has caused any distress. Certainly not the way it was intended.
    The first part of my post was in response to your post, the rest "to answer the question" onwards was to OP. So I didn't comment on whether or not u said Catholics are Christians. Anyway ALL Catholics are Christians not some.
    I'm not angry or meaning to make this an angry post, I just wanted to clarify what I think are your misconceptions on Catholicism...
    I'm a teacher who's studied in the catholic system and and taught at both catholic schools and public.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

7fornow  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post

Wow.. That school is giving other Christian schools a bad name!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

7fornow  (22-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Brown sugar..
    In Brownsugars defense I think she was using the phrase "pleading ignorance" lightly.. Thats how I read it, but can see how it could be taken offense to also. ALL religions have differences even within the one church! (as me and my other SDA friend here just found out.. She and I are ok with using computer on sabbath whereas my Mum who is also SDA would not be OK with that). Each of us is giving advise based on the experiences we have.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

7fornow  (22-04-2012)