+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Difference between Christianity and Catholics?

I'm quite naive and uneducated about religion. I believe in God and heaven but I can't bring myself to believe in the fiery pits of hell.

DH is Pentecostal, I call myself a Christian but don't elaborate further if that makes sense.

I have found a wonderful school, however it is Catholic. I don't have anything against sending our kids there but DH is proving hard to convince.

Could someone please explain to me the fundamental differences in these beliefs? I would really appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Simply put catholic and pentecostal are types of christianity.

I likeyou, just call myself a christian.
    I grew up in the catholic church, I now go to a pentecostal church. They all are based on the trinity.

This is the way I see it.
    The body of Christ (the church as whole) is made up of different parts (the different Christan churches) and we all do different things in the service of Christ.
    As in the feet do a different thing to hands but both are equally important to the body.
    The catholic church is great in helping the poor. The baptist are great at spread the word of god. The salvo are great with working with drug addict and mentally ill etc...
    IYKIM.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 21-04-2012 at 16:07.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

7fornow  (22-04-2012),just her chameleon  (21-04-2012),mrsd  (23-04-2012),share a book  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks loving6

Any tips on helping DH to understand? He is a little closed minded on the topic and believes the school will teach our kids the 'wrong' thing... Grrr! Surely they aren't that different?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Catholics also place a lot of importance on Mary, mother of Jesus. And often pray to her as a means of getting favour with Jesus.
    They also fundamentally (some do) believe you don't just get forgiven when asking, you need to pray or do things to get grace. Christians believe grace is given freely.
    Also, Catholics still place Jesus on the cross as crucified, like he hadn't risen again, whereas you won't find many Pentecostal churches where Jesus is still on the cross.
    Some Catholics have a Bible that has 'extra books' in the beginning. It has a special name, can't remember what it's called.
    I might be wrong on some of these things though because modern catholic churches can be different.
    You might find in a catholic school they offer mass rather than a chapel service, but I don't think you would notice much more. I don't think they go to deeply into it all.
    Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are HUGE differences in religions... You have to be sure that the fundamentals the school will be teaching are ones you agree with. Personally I'm a believer of the Seventh Day adventist religion and Therefore a Catholic school would not be compatible with my own beliefs. There are SO many different christian religions because of all these differences. Ie:I believe that Saturday is the sabbath day and should be kept holy, Jehovahs Witness have strict rules on blood transfusions, some churches speak in tongues... Some go on Sundays, some on Saturday, some believe you go straight to heaven or hell the minute you die, some believe you will be asleep until Jesus returns and once the old earth is destroyed the righteous will then go the the new earth (heaven)..

Only you and DH can research what the school will be teaching and if you'll be happy with it. Good luck!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 21-04-2012 at 16:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey I'm a SDA too!, Another fundamental difference is that Catholics confess their sins to a priest and Christians confess theirs to God.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Hey I'm a SDA too!, Another fundamental difference is that Catholics confess their sins to a priest and Christians confess theirs to God.
    Lovely to meet you!!

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Come to think if it.. If we were strictly SDA we shouldn't be on here chatting lol. My mums quite strict, whereas I am non practicing atm. I do believe and was brought up SDA but not quite at the point if making that commitment just yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mm I really don't think it's not keeping sabbath chatting on here, if I was looking at Ikeas websites then maybe ! Yeah I left the church in my teens and went back 8 years ago, what state are you in?