+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont consider you dole bludgers, hes doing what he can, I consider my ex in laws dole bludgers, both around 50, retired sold their house, blew the 200k profit in the past 2 years drinking and gambling and now receive centrelink payments, also pressure me a single stay home mum and full time uni student to get a job and stop "dole bludging"

We live in a country that allows people to be stay home parents, and pay for basic expenses in times of hard ship yay for Australia, It's all about the intention of building a better future for yourself and family,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh don't think that!

I think you and your husband are both doing the best thing for your family! Your staying home looking after your DD and cooking a bub, while your husband is at school getting a qualification to better your financial situation and to make you all happy.

Don't be too hard on youself.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly View Post
    There will always be judgemental people out there who will group and non-working, Centrelink benefit receiving people as "dole bludgers" - sometimes you can't help what people think. But you know what? Who cares! Who cares what someone who doesn't know you thinks. You and your husband know the struggles you've been through and are still going through. There will always be people who judge a book by its cover. You've just got to ignore them and their opinion and look after yourselves
    I agree! And honestly I think you are better off being on centrelink for however long it takes, and your DH finding the career he wants, than him slaving away in a job he hates, just to get money.
    My DH has left his field and is retraining over 3 years (perfect timing, as we have two children gestating/being born/being toddlers in that time) which means we are low income, but he is home so much more than he was back out the mines, and enjoying our children, plus finding his dream job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me it sounds as though you are doing everything possible for your family. Your DH is delivering pizzas to help ends meet, how can you be considered dole bludgers??

A SAHM is a full-time job on it's own - take into consideration your disability and I'd say you are doing even more than the average. Good on you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone who took the time to read and reply, I know I wrote a pretty long rant! I guess I'm feeling really discouraged at the moment, we have very little family support except my grandparents, and it's a scary time. I'm not usually one to stress about this stuff, I'm the sort of person that just works with whatevers there, I've never been known to get upset about things 'not going right', but my hormones have been insane this pregnancy, nothing like my first, I'm being seen by psychologists weekly for anxiety and stuff. So it's very new to me to even feel like this!

It's not where we imagined ourselves when we married, but we also didn't imagine the ecconomy becoming what it has. I just have to remind myself it's not forever, but oh it feels like it will be forever sometimes, like my husband will never learn the skills he needs, not through lack of trying, just because it seems to take so long. (It dosen't help that I was a gifted student, one of those kids who got straight A's without ever studying before exams, so the change in pace and the idea of struggling with learning, while completely normal, is somewhat foreign to me.)

Most people our age are single, students living at home, but instead of comparing ourselves to them, we find we end up comparing ourselves to other young families, who have parents in their 30s.

Thanks for the encouragment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think you are dole bludgers at all. That is exactly what centrelink is for, to help people get back no their feet. You both have goals for the future and you are very young, you will get there

Most people spend their 20's studying and don't have a lot of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should be proud of what you and your DP are trying to do for your family! My parents did the same thing when I was little and it meant a better future for us kids. I know I would much rather my tax dollars go to families like yours then be wasted on driving politicians around or stupid studies! Plus if you look at the big picture he will be paying tax on the money he earns from his new field of employment