+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Delayed cord clamping?

I'd really like to hear from anyone who delayed clamping their bubs cord.

How long did it take to stop pulsing?

Did you then have the injection to deliver placenta?

Did you have a pph?

I had my antenatal appointment this morning, and I asked about delaying. The midwife checked my record and said that as I had a pph with dds birth then I would bleed again this time, so no. And I said 'but you can't give me the injection if I don't consent.' And she told me, 'no, you will have the injection, they will just document the fact that I didn't consent.'

Seriously wtf?!

So now, I'm considering not allowing cord clamping until it stops pulsating, then cut cord, then injection to deliver placenta. Wdyt?

Can they really inject me with something despite my refusing consent?

Wish Dh would just let me homebirth and be left alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I delayed cord clamping with my DS, it took about 5-10 mins although I wasn't really timing it.

I delivered my placenta naturally but I had a pretty easy labour and no health issues

I hope that u get the outcome you want. I feel quite strongly about delayed cord clamping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless bump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whoa... Umm... I think maybe what she means is if you start to PPH they will do whatever they need to to stop the bleeding. I seriously doubt they can legally do something you've clearly said no to unless there is a dire medical emergency.

Myself I delayed, I had wanted to naturally deliver the placenta but after half an hour of trying I wasnt feeling it, I was exhausted, so we cut the cord and gave me the injection. The cord had well and truly stopped pulsing. Placenta came maybe 5 mins later.

Im sorry though I cant give info on PPH though.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delayed AND I had a PPH with both this birth and my first birth. With this birth I actually delivered the placenta before we clamped and cut the cord.

It went: baby born, deliver placenta, PPH, cut the cord, passed out from PPH, I then consented to the synto injection to try control bleeding.

Maybe I'm just being over cautious, but if your midwife actually said they'd inject you against your will (and meant it like that) then I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. I'd run for the hills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Preggasaurus, they cannot inject you with anything or do anything to you without your consent, unless it is a life threatening situation and you are unable to give consent. I am a midwife and it horrifies me to hear that you were told this!
    It is true that your risk of PPH is increased if you have had one in the past, but you could still ask to delay cord clamping until the cord stops pulsating, then have the injection unless you are bleeding excessively. This should give you what you want whilst reducing your chances of a PPH.
    Remember that it is your pregnancy and your baby, and it is ultimately up to you what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies.

I think, that if the cord will only pulsate for 5 or 10 mins then surely they can wait and give me the injection after that. I am just going to have to put it really clearly into the birth plan, and insist that Dh sticks up for me and our baby.

Fingers crossed for me, I will not be happy if my wishes are not followed. I'll raise it at this Friday's appointment, I see a different midwife every time, so hopefully I get a better one next time.