+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    A question for those who don't allow any kind of weapon... do you allow wands?
    Yes, only because I know 'expalliarmus'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If every parent around the world said "no toy weapons" then I'd be all for saying no too. But, kids need to have a childhood and every parent needs to find the right balance for their child. I sent my DS to school for the first time last year, worried that he'd be the bully/rough one, as we have tried to make sure he is emotionally strong and confident, and wondered if we'd gone too far. BUT he was the and nerdy/eager to learn one yet he seems to have lots of friends. He has a friend that is not allowed anything rough and he is timid/shy/barely talks and his mum tells me how worried she is because he isn't interested in reading/writing and hasn't excelled at all in 3 terms of school and hasn't made any friends other than DS . He still clings to his mum after 3 terms and I can see how stressed it makes her. I'm not saying all kids who aren't allowed anything rough will turn out like this, but was just putting our experiences out there. It is so hard to know what to do as a parent, not just in this situation, in ALL situations .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you can only do your best.

Guns and weapons dont (imo) turn kids into tough rough nuts..

But for me, they do teach that killing and maiming are a great way of getting rid of energy, anger and frustration.
    For me, I would prefer another type of energy and anger release.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Do you mean a magic wand?
    I mean a piece of wood or plastic, moulded to replicate a magic wand.

Nothing quite like watching your children Avada Kedavra-ing one another (yes, that's totally a verb) and just as realistic as a lightsaber or laser gun.

(BlissedOut, you're just a softie. I'll see your Expeliarmus and I'll raise you a Petrificus Totalus.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I mean a piece of wood or plastic, moulded to replicate a magic wand.

Nothing quite like watching your children Avada Kedavra-ing one another (yes, that's totally a verb) and just as realistic as a lightsaber or laser gun.

(BlissedOut, you're just a softie. I'll see your Expeliarmus and I'll raise you a Petrificus Totalus.)
    Bahaha

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Bahaha
    You had your baby?! What rock have I been under? Congratulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS doesn't have any toy guns other than nerf for the record, but he does play roughly with sticks or anything he finds in the yard/nature walks, which to me is like a weapon, if people really want to hurt someone they will, with anything. DS knows it is not acceptable behaviour to hurt people. How does your DS(s) vent their anger/energy Berylsmum?

DH work has been held up with knives/needles/broken alcohol bottles but never a gun. I think that is more prevalent in the US and other countries.

Another aspect to think about is doesn't sport encourage violence to a certain degree? They get into fights all the time in football/rugby/soccer etc. Do you let your children watch/play sport?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i am going to make myself sound hippy dippy now...

anger is expressed by.
    hitting pillows
    drawing
    painting
    screaming in the backyard
    writing
    talking

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (22-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (22-04-2012),~Mands~  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far, the only rules are no weapons and no computer games/consoles. An Uncle has already promised DS a quad bike when he is older.. that is never going to happen! I don't really care what my son plays with, as long as it doesn't promote spending hours sitting on his bum or harming people/creatures around him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are fab ways Berylsmum, I don't think they sound hippy at all, I think most children would be encouraged to do all of the above . I especially think talking is a THE MOST important thing to do with your children (and hugs!). But what do you tell your children if they pick up a stick for example, and want to whack it on the ground, or swing it around, or poke it around a rock to explore? I'm not saying it's wrong to tell them not to, I just want to know what people that say no to weapons would do in this situation- as I'd be stumped lol. I'd feel like I would have to follow my DS 24/7.