+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Speed kills people so if we apply this logic that guns kill people shouldn't we be concerned about how fast cars go. Maybe we should remove the ability for cars to go more than what, 60km/h because some people do kill people with speed...If we apply your logic then people shouldn't be able to use cars or they shouldn't be able to go as fast as they do, maybe we should only be able to go fast at licensed raceways..oh hold on isn't that where most people already shoot their guns, in a licensed facility.

For what it is worth I did say that we do not let our children to have guns of any form as toys, that includes water pistols or nerf guns I don't and will not let them play computer/console games involving killing because in my mind that trivializes killing and in the mind of the wrong person we don't want the lines between fantasy and reality getting blurred.

Culls are run by the department of environment and conservation as a method to control pests.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Ahh the good 'ol NRA slogan surfaces again.

Sorry to derail slightly, but the spiel about people killing people is bullshít. Guns kill people. Guns are weapons and although the person behind the gun pulls the trigger, it is the GUN that kills. No gun, no death from guns.

If we apply that absurd logic, then there shouldn't be any controversy surrounding nuclear weapons - because nuclear weapons don't kill people...

Or we might say "Glasses don't see - eyes see" or "Toothpaste doesn't clean teeth - people clean teeth". It's just plain stupid.

I would never allow my child to PLAY with a toy which imitates a weapon. Each to their own, but I think it's gross.
    Guns are not the only weapons around though so I don't get that argument, if we didn't have guns people would still kill they would just use a different weapon? A weapon is something that is designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or damage, that could be anything.

I personally haven't seen any issues with people killing people with glasses or toothpaste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son had guns, bought by family mostly but he also made his own guns, fighting sticks, knive-like things out of wood. He's never hurt anybody/animal. He also plays fighting/war console games like all his very normal teenage friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's hard to answer this as my son is still in utero but I am not into any toys/games that evoke feelings of violence or dominance through fighting.

I am hoping for a sporty, nerdy, construction whizz!

My dd is not into fighting or hurting. I am not into anything Dora, bratz, etc but if she was desperate for them I wouldnt discourage them. She doesn't watch commercial tv so I would b surprised.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Guns are not the only weapons around though so I don't get that argument, if we didn't have guns people would still kill they would just use a different weapon? A weapon is something that is designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or damage, that could be anything.

I personally haven't seen any issues with people killing people with glasses or toothpaste.
    The 'other weapon' argument is very fallible actually, there are some great statistics regarding the incidence of death from guns versus knives etc.

Regarding speed and death - yes, cars kill people. Planes kill people. Trains kill people. But they are not *weapons*. I've debated this argument on here before, it's another attempt at straw grasping IMO. I do have strong personal opinions regarding vehicle safety and licensing, but at the end of the day, they aren't weapons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't mind DD playing with guns, but I understand what Witwicky is saying. Regarding guns, their main purpose is to inflict pain and kill. It is what they were designed for.You can't say the same for glasses,cars, trains and planes etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    A question for those who don't allow any kind of weapon... do you allow wands?
    Do you mean a magic wand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the record, I really couldn't give a hoot if other parents let their kids play with you weapons. I was just debating the people killing/gun killing argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Do you mean a magic wand?
    You can never be to careful, they could take an eye out with one of those.
    Or bang someone in the head with it... Or worse turn someone into a frog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    You can never be to careful, they could take an eye out with one of those.
    Or bang someone in the head with it... Or worse turn someone into a frog.
    I don't think I would be able to forgive myself if DS turned someone into a frog. Nuh uh.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (22-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-04-2012)