+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd rather avoid guns. That said, I am okay with water pistols and swords. No idea why. I just am.

TBH, I think I'd mostly be annoyed if someone got her some horribly noisy toy. I hate noisy toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son loves playing with his little lego men with their guns going "pow pow", and he watches Ben10, I don't like Power Rangers as that looks freaky/gross. I don't mind him playing with toy guns as he knows not to point them at people or use the word 'kill'. Personally I think fists do more damage than guns in reality and we need to teach our children about kindness, respect and how to deal with anger etc before we worry about them going on a killing spree when they are an adult because we let them play with toy guns as a kid. I despise any wrestling shows so DS won't be watching them, I think that would encourage violence in a child.

And girls toys- I really don't like Barbies but we'll deal with that if and when DD mentions them, so far so good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Mands~ View Post
    My son loves playing with his little lego men with their guns going "pow pow", and he watches Ben10, I don't like Power Rangers as that looks freaky/gross. I don't mind him playing with toy guns as he knows not to point them at people or use the word 'kill'. Personally I think fists do more damage than guns in reality and we need to teach our children about kindness, respect and how to deal with anger etc before we worry about them going on a killing spree when they are an adult because we let them play with toy guns as a kid. I despise any wrestling shows so DS won't be watching them, I think that would encourage violence in a child.

And girls toys- I really don't like Barbies but we'll deal with that if and when DD mentions them, so far so good.
    I agree with the gun statement but not the wrestling one my kids love watching WWE and are not violent. My husband grew up watching it every week and he is the least violent person ever. He has never been in a fight a kid in HS punched him once and he walked away, not arguing just putting another perspective up

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ahh the good 'ol NRA slogan surfaces again.

Sorry to derail slightly, but the spiel about people killing people is bullshít. Guns kill people. Guns are weapons and although the person behind the gun pulls the trigger, it is the GUN that kills. No gun, no death from guns.

If we apply that absurd logic, then there shouldn't be any controversy surrounding nuclear weapons - because nuclear weapons don't kill people...

Or we might say "Glasses don't see - eyes see" or "Toothpaste doesn't clean teeth - people clean teeth". It's just plain stupid.

I would never allow my child to PLAY with a toy which imitates a weapon. Each to their own, but I think it's gross.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 22-04-2012 at 10:00.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-04-2012),Busy-Bee  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Ahh the good 'ol NRA slogan surfaces again.

Sorry to derail slightly, but the spiel about people killing people is bullshít. Guns kill people. Guns are weapons and although the person behind the gum pulls the trigger, it is the GUN that kills. No gun, no death from guns.

If we apply that absurd logic, then there shouldn't be any controversy surrounding nuclear weapons - because nuclear weapons don't kill people...

Or we might say "Glasses don't see - eyes see" or "Toothpaste doesn't clean teeth - people clean teeth". It's just plain stupid.

I would never allow my child to PLAY with a toy which imitates a weapon. Each to their own, but I think it's gross.
    Well everything you have said is technically true,

Glasses dont see they enhance the ability of the persons eye to focus thus enhancing their eyes ability to see,

Tooth paste is the same, a tube of tooth paste wont clean teeth without the person cleaning them

Nuclear weapons dont kill people, the people who use them do.

But I get what you're saying.

Once Ds is old enough to understand NOT to clobber others he will be allowed guns / weapons etc as I believe there is a big difference to reality and pretend.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Well everything you have said is technically true,

Glasses dont see they enhance the ability of the persons eye to focus thus enhancing their eyes ability to see,

Tooth paste is the same, a tube of tooth paste wont clean teeth without the person cleaning them

Nuclear weapons dont kill people, the people who use them do.

But I get what you're saying.

Once Ds is old enough to understand NOT to clobber others he will be allowed guns / weapons etc as I believe there is a big difference to reality and pretend.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    The point I was making is that it is the gun that kills, just like it is the toothpaste that cleans. Yes there is a person using the device, but without the device you would hardly have the same outcome. Toothpaste is a ridiculous example next to a gun, which is exactly the reason I used it - because the logic is absurd.

Yes, there is a huge difference between reality and pretend...I just don't know why anyone would want their child to pretend to use a weapon

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    The point I was making is that it is the gun that kills, just like it is the toothpaste that cleans. Yes there is a person using the device, but without the device you would hardly have the same outcome. Toothpaste is a ridiculous example next to a gun, which is exactly the reason I used it - because the logic is absurd.

Yes, there is a huge difference between reality and pretend...I just don't know why anyone would want their child to pretend to use a weapon
    I think your points about guns make perfect sense, and agree that it's absurd to say that they don't kill people. Of course they do, they are a weapon and their sole purpose is to threaten, injure and kill. Pro-gun lobbies getting caught up in semantics won't stop anyone from dying.

As to why anyone would want to pretend to use a weapon, many aspects of fantasy and imaginative play involve fighting, defending, good and evil. Most of the great fantasy books and films of our time wouldn't cut it without a weapon of some kind.

I draw the line at those weapons that transcend fantasy and are actually used for killing in our world. So in my house, wands are fine. Light-sabers are fine. Laser guns are fine. Pistols, rifles, cap-guns, knives, grenades are not.

I have to admit we do have Nerf guns, because my eldest son is consumed with Halo and he likes to pretend that he's hunting aliens. I don't see the harm in this, so I allow it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Toy guns will never be allowed in our home.
    There are plenty more toys to have, plenty more games to play

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (22-04-2012),Happy2be3  (22-04-2012)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    A question for those who don't allow any kind of weapon... do you allow wands?

Thanks
    Reviews
    nothing is really off limits.. we do not have any guns.
    But DS is not a toy kid.
    we have bought him so many..but he doesn't play with them.
    Not even video games. His fave things are his soccer ball and pencils...

The girls have an entire play room full of every toy but spend most time on the scooters.

Beryl is obsessed with Thomas so she has the whole range..

Agnes is obsessed with my shoes and my makeup

For people who ban guns, will you let them go to laser tag?
    all the parties are at laser tag this year and it annoys me as I wont let DS go..