+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Mands~ View Post
    If every parent around the world said "no toy weapons" then I'd be all for saying no too. But, kids need to have a childhood and every parent needs to find the right balance for their child. I sent my DS to school for the first time last year, worried that he'd be the bully/rough one, as we have tried to make sure he is emotionally strong and confident, and wondered if we'd gone too far. BUT he was the and nerdy/eager to learn one yet he seems to have lots of friends. He has a friend that is not allowed anything rough and he is timid/shy/barely talks and his mum tells me how worried she is because he isn't interested in reading/writing and hasn't excelled at all in 3 terms of school and hasn't made any friends other than DS . He still clings to his mum after 3 terms and I can see how stressed it makes her. I'm not saying all kids who aren't allowed anything rough will turn out like this, but was just putting our experiences out there. It is so hard to know what to do as a parent, not just in this situation, in ALL situations .
    I can understand how you would draw that conclusion but as a mother of a shy, sensitive boy I can tell you... Nothing we do makes any difference to his personality.. He is who he is.. Allowing rough gun play or not will not change his naturally shy, cautious nature :-)

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hilarious after I read this thread jasper made a gun from blocks and bounced around the lounge talking about "killing" things. But from.a quick chat he has no idea what it actually means, hes just picked it up somewhere. So much for my gun free house. Lol.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No Bratz or barbies or similar. I think they send a terrible message about body image, they are all so skinny with big heads and lots of make-up. The bratz in particular dress like s3x workers

Guns I'd prefer not, nerf and water pistols are OK though.

Guns might not kill people, but a person with a gun can kill a lot more people a lot faster than a person with a knife or sharp stick...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any toy, apart from ones that sensationalise or replicate violence. Or promote gender stereotypes.

When DS is of age if he decides he wants to try rifle shooting targets, or archery or the like then he can make that choice knowing these instruments are not toys. As a child, without the maturity to know the consequences of the potential dangers of such 'toys' then no way! I keep thinking of that scene in the movie 'Babel'.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 22-04-2012 at 19:50.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Thunderstorm; 23-04-2012 at 15:49.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think kids will play "death"games no matter how much you try to prevent it. It's a way of their young minds coming to terms with the notion of death and loss which they all eventually come into contact with, even if it's just the class pet dying.

At the moment, whenever I come home from work ds says "mummy!!! You're alive!". I have to wonder if he HAS made a link between uniforms, guns, and bad things happening from tv.
    Anyway, I can't shelter him from the realities of weapons, death, and killing forever. They exist. It's a fact. But I do try to minimise it by not having gun like toys etc.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Or promote gender stereotypes.
    Just wondering what you consider these to be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Just wondering what you consider these to be?
    Well for example, if there was a toy set where say, there was a male doctor figure while all the nurse figures were female... I'm hoping these things don't really exist these days but am unsure as DS is still only 19 months so I haven't really looked at toy departments a lot.

I also object to limiting children's toy selections depending on gender ie. my DS's cousins are girls and every toy they ever got was pink, pretty, dolls and princesses. One of the girls was (for want of a better term) a Tom boy yet the family were always trying to girl her up more. I hated that.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Well for example, if there was a toy set where say, there was a male doctor figure while all the nurse figures were female... I'm hoping these things don't really exist these days but am unsure as DS is still only 19 months so I haven't really looked at toy departments a lot.

I also object to limiting children's toy selections depending on gender ie. my DS's cousins are girls and every toy they ever got was pink, pretty, dolls and princesses. One of the girls was (for want of a better term) a Tom boy yet the family were always trying to girl her up more. I hated that.
    Fair enough. My second son loves nothing more than Barbies, princesses, fairies and pink, pink, pink. I suppose he has a lot of toys that support gender stereotypes... just not his gender

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Fair enough. My second son loves nothing more than Barbies, princesses, fairies and pink, pink, pink. I suppose he has a lot of toys that support gender stereotypes... just not his gender
    This is fine imo... and I think it's a good sign that your son chooses his own toys and doesn't mind what anyone thinks, it shows strength of character and I very much would like my DS to have the same attribute(s) as he grows.

I had a good friend who's husband was a neanderthal - their DS was a sweet, quiet child and the Dad refused to ever let him play with anything he saw as 'girly' - he took it to the extreme and when ex-DP offered to bring him along to Baseball (as he coached juniors) the Dad said 'no way that's a pussy sport'. We were both disgusted really. He forced the son to play NRL yet he was a tiny kid. He never made any objections to his Dad because he was so shy and I believe, scared of his Dad. Not only is it absurd for parent's to do this to their children, it also limits them greatly and denies them the oportunity to discover their talents, passions and open-mindedness in life.