+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG, these replies make me feel SOOO much better!! I made DH read this thread and he shouted, "Hey, we're normal!" at the end. DD had a really good day yesterday - I almost couldn't believe it - but then this morning she threw a corker of a tanty over, typically, the smallest thing... Honestly, don't you ever find yourself in the middle of these toddler crises thinking lovingly (but while gritting your teeth), "It's a good thing you're cute..." ? I sure do

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When Dd used to throw herself to the ground over tiny little things {such as "BUY IT FOR ME! NOOWWWW!"} I'd just walk away. When she realised she didn't have an audience she'd leap to her feet and run after me.

It didn't take more than a few times before it stuck and we didn't get any more tanties.

If it was a big sook over something like frusteration at not being able to tie her shoes by herself, we'd walk away from the problem until she'd calmed down, then go through it step by step together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Honestly, don't you ever find yourself in the middle of these toddler crises thinking lovingly (but while gritting your teeth), "It's a good thing you're cute..." ? I sure do
    All the time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm hearing you OP. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel! My dd was always such a calm kid, my ds is a whole different kettle of fish, the other day was so bad I actually spent most of it in tears myself, I didn't want to be a parent at that point in time.
    What works for me at the moment when it gets too bad is time out, a lot of people tut tut over time out, but it's for both of us. I put him in his room for him (and me!) to calm down (yes he gets locked in there) I listen for him to quieten down and then go back in, ask if he feels better now, and usually it ends with a cuddle. As for out and about.. I distract him as much as possible.. thank god for kids iphone apps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    What works for me at the moment when it gets too bad is time out, a lot of people tut tut over time out, but it's for both of us. I put him in his room for him (and me!) to calm down (yes he gets locked in there) I listen for him to quieten down and then go back in, ask if he feels better now, and usually it ends with a cuddle.
    This is exactly what we've been doing when she stops responding to civilised requests. First we'll try reasoning with her or doing the whole "Do you want to [do fun thing]? Well then, stop [doing naughty thing]" routine, but if she just becomes completely out of control and starts throwing things or hitting, we'll calmly cart her off to her room, explain simply that we'll be back when she's ready to calm down, then close the door. It eventually works. And for what it's worth, I consider this a pretty 'humane', civilised way of dealing with an out-of-control toddler. We go back in to check on her after a few minutes and it always ends in cuddles, so I don't see the problem. I also think she runs out of steam once she realises she doesn't have an audience anymore, as another poster said.