+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default NAPLAN..yes or no?

Last edited by MissPoss; 08-08-2012 at 11:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not a parent (yet) but a teacher. I've had kids in my classes before that are similar to your daughter. I understand how stressful it must be for you to decide what to do. Ultimately I always tell patents to think about the health and wellbeing of their child. If the test situation and it's difficulty is going to stress your daughter and cause a meltdown I would seriously consider the exclusion. Even keeping her home if you could and do some mother daughter bonding?!?! Ignore the school saying things like it will bring their test scores down etc, that's just stupid. The main thing is having your daughter feel good about herself. You can also request that she sit the test but not in the classroom with the other children, perhaps in another quieter place where she feels safe and comfortable. At my school we exclude some children to learning enrichment where they have great relationships with their aides and it feels comfortable for them. Although I know this adds to them feeling different at times.
    At the end of the day, it's your call to weigh up the pros and cons. In my experience, a few days of testing being missed hasn't adversely affected any of the children I've had and I've been teaching for more than ten years!!
    Good luck with your daughter!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before you make a decision please consult the learning support coordinator at the school as often naplan results such as your dd's draws further funding for the school. I understand your concerns and ultimately you need to make a decision that will be best for your child . I am a teacher too and have children similar to yours in my room. They will be sitting the test. No biggy they just have to give it their best shot.

bgbgbb is offline To think, I was only going to have 1 child!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in the same dilemma with my son (grade 3). He has severe language disorder, mild comprehension issues and suffers anxiety from testing situations as he has trouble communicating on paper.

We were given the option of withdrawing him but decided not to. We bought NAPLAN proforma tests and are doing 1 hour of testing at home every day, in a more relaxed environment. We're are both finding out the areas he has weaknesses in and getting him more used to the testing environment. We are of the opinion that, despite his anxiety with testing, that undertaking tests is something he cannot avoid as he progresses in school. We are also looking, in the longer term, to taking him to a psychologist who can give him coping strategies for testing situations.

Dare I say, it's something he needs to get used to sooner or later, it might as well be sooner.