+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are you Studying?

What course are you studying atm?
    Full time/part time/flexible or online?
    How did you find out about your course?
    How did you know you wanted to study it?
    Is it going to help you with a furure employment goal?
    When do you get the time to study?

Do you regret committing to study? Does it ever seem like too much work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive just started cert III ed support (teacher aide).
    Its a 12-18m self pased, external course.
    I knew i wanted to do teacher aide because of the work hours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LivinOnAPrayer For This Useful Post:

nice piece of crumpet  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What course are you studying atm? Bachelor of Arts/Law
    Full time/part time/flexible or online? I started out full time before kids and had my DS in my third year, i returned part time after that. I then had my DD and am returning next week for one subject and then semester 2 I will be full time but only 2 days on campus
    How did you find out about your course?Highschool and Uni
    How did you know you wanted to study it? I went straight from high school into my degree. I wanted to be a lawyer hence i needed a law degree but i decided to do the double degree as it was only an extra year and i got to study subjects that i liked as well as having a major which helps with my law degree
    Is it going to help you with a furure employment goal? I sure hope so No seriously it absolutely will even if i decided to chose a career not in law
    When do you get the time to study? My kids are in daycare the days i am on campus (Never more then 2 days a week) and i do the majority of my study then. I will sometimes do study when they go to bed at night or when my DH comes home from work, also weekends are great he can take the kids out whilst i write essays etc. Or else i sit in the lounge with my laptop and books sprawled out and study whilst the kids are playing

Do you regret committing to study? Does it ever seem like too much work? No i never regret it, its something that i always wanted to study and to be honest i dont know any different. I went straight from highschool into uni, i dont know any different. I have only ever taken off 6 months at a time when i have had kids. It doesnt seem like too much work but thats because i really do enjoy it, i feel it brings some balance to my life and keeps me sane as well as providing me with an opportunity to exercise my brain and develop myself further as a person away from my children.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am doing a Bachelor of Liberal Studies (fancy name for general studies). It is full time and all online through Open Uni. Open Uni details all the degrees on their website (sometimes not in clear terms though). I didn't want to study anything specific, just wanted a degree to help me gain employment. It will definitely help me gain employment in the public service in Canberra (which is where I am now). I am not working, so this gives me plenty of time to study. I sometimes regret it as I have not had a break from study in 2 years, there are no uni holidays at open uni if you study each study period. It is very hard work but the end is in sight! It does sometimes seem like too much work when I have essays due at teh same time, it can get a little stressful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What course are you studying
    Studying Bachelor of Behavioural Studies, minors in Sociology and Criminal Justice

Full time/part time/flexible or online?
    Full time online through OUA

How did you find out about your course?
    Looked on OUA website as I wanted to study at home

How did you know you wanted to study it?
    I did a year of Psychology at uni when I finished school and knew I wanted to go back to that area and I was just ready for it

Is it going to help you with a furure employment goal?
    Yeah it already helped me obtain my new job in mental health services

When do you get the time to study?
    Well now I'm not a shift worker (yay!) it is so much easier to get stuff done in the night or on the weekend.

Do you regret committing to study?
    Sometimes it gets overwhelming and i do think im an idiot but i know in the ling term it will be so beneficial

Does it ever seem like too much work?
    Oh definitely. It can impact on social life. But I do make a decision to balance everything well and it has been working amazingly an I'm not feeling so overwhelmed with uni now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KnockKnockPenny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your detailed responses girls! i am looking into starting online study. Im yet to find a course i want to do that is accredited though

Does anyone know anything about Children's nutrition courses online ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm doing an advanced diploma of naturopathy via distance education through AIAS. It's self paced but I am currently completing it at a full time pace.
    I love it, it will lead to me getting my Masters in Herbal Medicine.
    I want to practice as a naturopath is this will complete that goal.
    No regrets, love doing something for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What course are you studying atm? Cert IV in breastfeeding counselling
    Full time/part time/flexible or online? flexible and part online, part group training
    How did you find out about your course? Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA)
    How did you know you wanted to study it? I've been interested in volunteer work for a while and want to help other mums. And I love babies
    Is it going to help you with a furure employment goal? No, I have a degree and will go back to that field at some point. This is for volunteer work
    When do you get the time to study? Usually in the evenings when my kids are in bed.

Do you regret committing to study? Does it ever seem like too much work? Sometimes. It is taking longer than I'd hoped but I am really looking forward to working on the Breastfeeding Helpline and I know it will be very rewarding.