+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dannielle- think its just one of those things, a good thing to just stay away from all of them cause they're all horrid!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we try to stay away from as many as we can. We have slip ups sometimes though. (except no lollies etc of course)

And MSG is SO nasty too and it's in so many things. I can't have MSG either. Even a small amount. I had about 1/2 a packet of chips with someone once and just didn't think about what was in it and ended up at the Dr's. Needed an ECG and blood test which was ok in the end but I'm pretty sure it was the MSG.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I'd say it would be color 120 ( cochineal red) which is actually acid taken from an insect ( gross but true !) it usually causes hyperactivity , a lot of people blame sugar when their kids have lollies/cordial but it's actually the reaction to colors, the sad thing is as its from an insect it's considered a "natural" color !
    The other natural colour that bugs me is annatto (colour 160b). It is in so many foods claiming to be "all natural" and targeted at kids that would otherwise be not tooooo bad additive wise (ice-creams, cereals, biscuits, cake mixes, yoghurts, custards etc). This is despite the fact that it is known to be something that causes more allergic reactions/intolerances than even some of the artificial colours. And parents think they are making the right choice because the package claims no artificial additives. Grrr. Pet peeve of mine.

I suspect annatto is one the kids and I both react to and generally avoid it but was trying to find a cereal that DS would actually eat so trialled 'sultana bran buds' despite it being an ingredient - and my goodness the massive afternoon meltdowns we had that week. Frustrates me because how hard would it be to leave this ingredient out and just have the cereal (or any other product) a little less golden looking.

Another colour I react to is 102 Tartrazine which triggers an asthma attack if I have more than small amounts. And preservative 282 definitely makes the kids hyper.

I'm not pedantic about it and will not worry too much what the kids eat if we are out so long as I'm controlling their intake at home and I try and avoid colours, flavours and preservatives as much as I can in my grocery shopping and cooking (my afternoon Tim Tam does not count!). Annoys me so much that you have to be so vigilent reading labels to avoid ingredients that don't really need to be there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat13 For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    The other natural colour that bugs me is annatto (colour 160b). It is in so many foods claiming to be "all natural" and targeted at kids that would otherwise be not tooooo bad additive wise (ice-creams, cereals, biscuits, cake mixes, yoghurts, custards etc). This is despite the fact that it is known to be something that causes more allergic reactions/intolerances than even some of the artificial colours. And parents think they are making the right choice because the package claims no artificial additives. Grrr. Pet peeve of mine.

I suspect annatto is one the kids and I both react to and generally avoid it but was trying to find a cereal that DS would actually eat so trialled 'sultana bran buds' despite it being an ingredient - and my goodness the massive afternoon meltdowns we had that week. Frustrates me because how hard would it be to leave this ingredient out and just have the cereal (or any other product) a little less golden looking.

Another colour I react to is 102 Tartrazine which triggers an asthma attack if I have more than small amounts. And preservative 282 definitely makes the kids hyper.

I'm not pedantic about it and will not worry too much what the kids eat if we are out so long as I'm controlling their intake at home and I try and avoid colours, flavours and preservatives as much as I can in my grocery shopping and cooking (my afternoon Tim Tam does not count!). Annoys me so much that you have to be so vigilent reading labels to avoid ingredients that don't really need to be there.
    I agree, it's sad as a lot of people assume that because the government allows these additives they must be safe which is just not true!

Not sure where you are but I've just discovered a great cereal from an organic company called Olive Green who make a cereal that my DS loves called Andean Pops ( a knock off of cocoa pops !) but are totally natural made from quinoa, rice and sugar cane , maybe try google to find them
    In your area

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cat13  (20-04-2012),Dannielle  (21-04-2012),ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sooo glad to read this thread DD1 is sensitive to a few things, we're not sure exactly what but definitely preservates (627,631,635, yeast extract, MSG etc) she goes feral... tantrums, misery, defiance etc. It turned our family upside down until we worked it out... not sure exactly what she reacts to, she is also wheat intolerant and dairy allergic so we just keep her on a really basic diet. it seems when we deviate from that she falls apart

Her reaction is not as bad as some of you though, it must be so hard facing hospital if you slip up. At least we only have a difficult 24-36hours *hugs*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BTW sorry ShanandBoc i forgot to say, I hope you pin it down soon, these additives are used far too much but it is so worth the effort to work out what to avoid and make the effort to find substitutes. *hugs*

ps this is the list of things we avoid, and i have also used the Fed Up website a lot while we were learning what to avoid and what to feed her...
    Last edited by Gothel; 20-04-2012 at 22:11.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow ladies thanks so much for all advice and info. The additive alert website is great, thanks for that. Ill be keeping a very close eye on what she eats esp as she gets older.

Its hard when everyone else lets their children eat junk tho. The amount of times my DD has been offered chocolate and cake etc already is crazy....i always say she cant have them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ShanandBoc, i would like to point you in the direction of Cyndi O'Meara - google her. She has toatlly changed my life and thinking when it comes to food. A lot of my friends and family think I am crazy because I read labels, I eat butter and cream and full fat yoghurt. I dont eat any colours, falvours or preservatives - unless I am eating at a friends place or out at dinner. Avoiding all these nasty additives has done a lot for my health. I hope perhaps I have pointed you in the right direction.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, it IS hard when other kids are having junk food. I do make lots of baked sweets, I don't mind a little sugar as long as no nasty additives. So I take snacks for my kids (and often to share) and they are yummy treats without the feral after-effects. And if anyone offers my kids other foods, I tell them we don't have additives. If they ask why, I tell them that not only are my kids behaviour and sleep affected, some are actually carcinogenic so I don't want eat them either. Usually stops the "it's not that bad" comments lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    Yep, it IS hard when other kids are having junk food. I do make lots of baked sweets, I don't mind a little sugar as long as no nasty additives. So I take snacks for my kids (and often to share) and they are yummy treats without the feral after-effects. And if anyone offers my kids other foods, I tell them we don't have additives. If they ask why, I tell them that not only are my kids behaviour and sleep affected, some are actually carcinogenic so I don't want eat them either. Usually stops the "it's not that bad" comments lol
    I'm exactly the same, if one more person says everything is ok in moderation though I think I'll scream!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (21-04-2012)