+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For those with a difficult baby and deciding on having no.2...

Did having a difficult baby (no. 1 ) effect your decision on when to have the next baby (no.2)?
    When i was pregnant with DD, i used to think i'll have the next bub by the time DD was 1.5-2yrs old. But now, with DD having so many issues and generally a difficult baby, i'm thinking of a much longer gap. But there are times when i think i should still try for second one sooner rather than latter .

So i thought i'd ask other mums with difficult bubs as to whether you still had your second /next bub sooner or delayed it till first one was much older?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a very difficult #1 bub. We wanted more, and pre-baby we thought about a 2 year gap. But the first 15 months with bub #1 were a nightmare. I think our ds was at least 18 months before dh & I even agreed that we would go back for #2 at some point. We started TTC when our ds was 2.5 years old, but without success. As you can see we ended up with a gap of nearly 5 years.

Seriously, if age is on your side don't rush. It's a lot easier to deal with settling bub's when your older child can be trusted to be on their own & stay quiet while you're doing it.

By the way, my bub #2 is SO much easier than bub #1. They are opposites in terms of ease of care. It's amazing and a really pleasant surprise cause I was prepared for a nightmare this time too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    I had a very difficult #1 bub. We wanted more, and pre-baby we thought about a 2 year gap. But the first 15 months with bub #1 were a nightmare. I think our ds was at least 18 months before dh & I even agreed that we would go back for #2 at some point. We started TTC when our ds was 2.5 years old, but without success. As you can see we ended up with a gap of nearly 5 years.

Seriously, if age is on your side don't rush. It's a lot easier to deal with settling bub's when your older child can be trusted to be on their own & stay quiet while you're doing it.

By the way, my bub #2 is SO much easier than bub #1. They are opposites in terms of ease of care. It's amazing and a really pleasant surprise cause I was prepared for a nightmare this time too.
    Thanks for sharing mim1! I so hope no2 is easy for me as well !! I wont be able to handle having another difficult bub!!Im 30 right now so i guess i could wait a while.. DH really wanted no 2 soon after DD..but after the hard time we've had (and still having!), he's happy with DD being an only child !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OS&N For This Useful Post:

mim1  (22-04-2012)