+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rear facing car seats

I was just wondering how many of you who have had bubs, fitted the rear facing car seats yourselves? Or hubby did etc? I mean not 'professionally' fitted?

How do you know it's installed correctly?

The reason I'm asking is coz we had ours professionally fitted, then we got a new car and tried to fit it ourselves and we just couldn't do it properly. I mean the general position was correct but the seat moved a lot and wasn't 'stable'

I had to get it professionally done again and it cost me $40!

One of my friends hubby's did their car seat and I was shocked!! It was loose and the seat was VERY upright whereas my seat is reclined (both rear facing) and since I know how important it is to have it fitted correctly I suggested she get it checked / meaning re-fitted properly, but I didn't say it directly as I didn't want to worry or upset her.

Anyway she didn't take offense or anything, she saw mine and realized there was a big difference

So I'm wondering:

1- do you KNOW you rear facing seat is fitted correctly?

2- did u fit it yourself / hubby etc or get it professionally fitted?

3- why, if it is so important that seats r fitted correctly, do we have to pay a 'professional' to fit it?? Some of us just can't afford the $40!! Surely the government should be making this a free service? Afterall they go on and on about road safety and we pay HUNDREDS for the seats as it is...

If they can't make it free they should at least provide the 'training' to parents, possibly trough the RTA or even hospitals to show u how's it's done so we can do it ourselves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We got a professional to fit it in the first time and that guy showed DH how to do it properly. So when DH had to turn it around and or move it to different cars he knew what to do. Also whenever we get the car serviced the guy there checks to make sure its fitted properly.

Oh and the fitting was free cos the shop we got it from offered free fittings every wed. We just had to book it in. RACQ I think also will fit it in for free.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had it fitted with my first so I saw how he got it stable and we just follow the instructions in the book, normally DF does it while I kneel in the seat. He told us if it moves more than an inch when installed its not done correctly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The guy who did mine the first time showed me as he was doing it, so I know how, but I didn't have the strength to push down on the seat to tighten the belt so it was 'firm', so it moved...

When I rang around to ask for help and told them I had done it but couldn't get the seat stable and needed help with only that part, every single person I called said they could do it but I would still have to pay the $40....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I was just wondering how many of you who have had bubs, fitted the rear facing car seats yourselves? Or hubby did etc? I mean not 'professionally' fitted?

How do you know it's installed correctly?

The reason I'm asking is coz we had ours professionally fitted, then we got a new car and tried to fit it ourselves and we just couldn't do it properly. I mean the general position was correct but the seat moved a lot and wasn't 'stable'

I had to get it professionally done again and it cost me $40!

One of my friends hubby's did their car seat and I was shocked!! It was loose and the seat was VERY upright whereas my seat is reclined (both rear facing) and since I know how important it is to have it fitted correctly I suggested she get it checked / meaning re-fitted properly, but I didn't say it directly as I didn't want to worry or upset her.

Anyway she didn't take offense or anything, she saw mine and realized there was a big difference

So I'm wondering:

1- do you KNOW you rear facing seat is fitted correctly?

2- did u fit it yourself / hubby etc or get it professionally fitted?

3- why, if it is so important that seats r fitted correctly, do we have to pay a 'professional' to fit it?? Some of us just can't afford the $40!! Surely the government should be making this a free service? Afterall they go on and on about road safety and we pay HUNDREDS for the seats as it is...

If they can't make it free they should at least provide the 'training' to parents, possibly trough the RTA or even hospitals to show u how's it's done so we can do it ourselves?
    Really quick response from me because I really need to get moving but I'm quite strong in my views on this.

We had ours done professionally and also asked (though it wasn't an option) our parents to have the car seats they had bought installed professionally as well. The problem is, you DON'T know if the car seat has been installed correctly. It might feel stable but that doesn't mean it is correct. I think the statistic is that around 70% of car seats which are not installed by a professional are installed incorrectly.

As for training, there are so many different brands and types of car seats, then you've got capsules, car seats and boosters to deal with, it would be impossible to provide training. You also have to take into account the type car it's being fitted in to.

As for making it a free service it'd be nice, but then so would free driving lessons, free tyre changing education, gosh even just free education! I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

$40 is expensive though. I paid $30 and all the quotes I got were $30 except one. Not sure where you live but a lot of baby shops that sell them also can do fitting. Baby Bunting charges $30.

For me it wasn't an option. Children and car safety is something I'm very passionate about so not paying wasn't even an option. It adds up though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I'm bummed that I'm about to buy an older car that won't have ISOFIX in it for this very reason. I'll be forking out the $40 to have a car seat professionally installed, though, because of that statistic of 70% being installed incorrectly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm passionate about this too, that's why I posted the question.

I understand what u r saying about the training now, but as for it being free, it's a 5 minute job for the safety of children...

I can see why driving lessons and tyre changing lessons are not free, they take longer.

I know $40 isn't a lot to some and for others it is a lot! Just depends in your circumstances

It's a lot to us but I paid it for peace of mind... And I would do it again but I think it's quite ridiculous to Charge $40 to check a seat and just put some weight on it to secure it when all the rest has already been done...

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Delighted that my new car has ISOFIX. My cousin installs cat seats professionally so he installs all of ours and just this morning fitted my new car with a seat for the baby I look after. I have tried doing it myself, just to see if I could, and it was just so loose I would never have used it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do RACQ really fit them free? Details of how that works please someone? I'm on a phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hehehe cat seats meow

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (20-04-2012)