+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 month old often refuses bottles :(

My son is 5 months old, he has such a strange feeding routine, it's 4 hourly but most of the time he will never drink his whole bottle as often he will flat out refuse his morning one and will want food instead!

Is it ok that he wants food? Will him not drinking enough milk make him something something?
    Some mornings his last feed will have been at 4 and he won't want his morning one and refuses it even though he's hungry but will devour a whole bowl of rice cereal. Which I use the bottle milk to make up.

During the day we will sometimes skip a feed all together even if I try give it to him. But he will be lunging for my lunch!

Is it too soon to start solids as his main meals and offer the bottle as a back up?

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in a similar situation to you. I have just weaned my 6mo and he's not crash hot on milk, wasn't even too keen on the BM! He's on 3 large meals a day. Always offer a bottle before food until they are about 6-7 months. Does he drink water? You could probably start adding mixed vegetables for dinner to add to his nutrition. Make sure they are high in calcium, iron and vit c and he should be fine. Add as much formula to his food as you can and I wouldn't worry. How many MLS is he getting in total each day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lupa View Post
    I'm in a similar situation to you. I have just weaned my 6mo and he's not crash hot on milk, wasn't even too keen on the BM! He's on 3 large meals a day. Always offer a bottle before food until they are about 6-7 months. Does he drink water? You could probably start adding mixed vegetables for dinner to add to his nutrition. Make sure they are high in calcium, iron and vit c and he should be fine. Add as much formula to his food as you can and I wouldn't worry. How many MLS is he getting in total each day?
    Maybe that's why, sometimes he likes it and others not.
    He has had a few sips of water when he wont take the bottle because I worry about him getting thirsty, I've made some veggies for him but he hates them he gags and blows them out! I even tried to hide them in with the farex and with the apples! Smartie pants still knows!

He has 2 meals a day I try for 3 but he won't eat the veggies but farex in the morning and maybe some banana or apple and oat for lunch. , in the morning with the bottle he refuses he will have the whole thing in his farex!

I'm glad someone is going through it too, it was worrying me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would keep offering water through the day just because its a good habbit to get into.

With the veg, keep persisting and remember it has to be just as sweet if not sweeter as BM/formula, otherwise they won't be interested. Formula is pretty sweet, have a taste to compare! Apple is so good to add to anything. Id start with say 50% apple, 25% pumpkin etc and 25% farex or potato. My doc had a baby who only drank 200 ml a day but made up for the nutrients with food. But that's pretty extreme and that baby was at a very good weight. Is your bubs putting on weight? What percentile are you at? Usually that will tell you if you're running into trouble.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lupa View Post
    I would keep offering water through the day just because its a good habbit to get into.

With the veg, keep persisting and remember it has to be just as sweet if not sweeter as BM/formula, otherwise they won't be interested. Formula is pretty sweet, have a taste to compare! Apple is so good to add to anything. Id start with say 50% apple, 25% pumpkin etc and 25% farex or potato. My doc had a baby who only drank 200 ml a day but made up for the nutrients with food. But that's pretty extreme and that baby was at a very good weight. Is your bubs putting on weight? What percentile are you at? Usually that will tell you if you're running into trouble.

Ok so add apple to the veg??

He had weet bix this morning and wasn't a huge fan but ate half of one anyway.

He had trouble with weight in the beginning when he was BF he only put on 100 grams in 5 weeks so we changed him to formula and he's gone back up from 10th percentile
    To 50 percentile. So the dr is really happy. But we haven't seen the dr since he's been fussing with the formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's really hard to feed a 5 month old a solid food diet that contains ALL of the required nutrients which is why bm/formula is most important before 1, if he was 10 or 11 months and eating the required fat/protein/carb ratio plus getting all vitamins/minerals he needs then it's ok to drop milk feeds but they have a huge growth spurt between 6 and 12 months and need extra fat content ( which you won't get from fruit/veg/cereal) for growth , so as much as its great he likes his solids please at least get the minimum recommended formula intake into him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes that's why you offer the bottle before solids until around 7 months and by then hopefully he will be on meat, fish, veg, fruit, carbs, everything you need to then sustain balanced nutrition. which is why its important to get him to like solid foods NOW. Once he is on a balanced diet he shouldn't need to rely on formula to provide the bulk of nutrition. So, until he gets into his solids, bottle comes first. HOWEVER, and there are few babies that do this, if the ONLY way he will have milk is after solids, that's fine too. As long as he gets enough.