+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    No, it's a type of insurance employers must take out. They reap the benefits of the labours of their staff, so have a responsibility for their welfare while engaged in work, travel for work and other work related activity.
    Ah ok thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    BMW lifestyle?!?!? Paying your rent and bills and being able to eat is NOT a BMW lifestyle!! If you can't work anymore because you were permanently injured as a result of your job, you have to resign yourself to a life below the poverty line and be grateful? Really? Surely you're just stirring the pot now?? Surely no one really thinks this way? Imagine you were the victim of a hit and run (as happened to someone I knew) while crossing the road to go to work. There were no witnesses so no one to sue. My friend got a broken leg out of it but let's say it left you paralysed. Would you then refuse to claim workers comp and happily give up your BMW lifestyle for welfare payments? Would you feel grateful??
    Incase people haven't figured it out I used exaggerated language to highlight a point (beggers can't be choosers).

If centrelink is good enough for some, it should be good enough for everyone. If people can't work it's inevitable (or it should be) that their standard of living will drop. They are no better than folks currently on welfare. And yes I have been on welfare for a while and it was tight ... I firmly believe the world didn't/doesn't owe me anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I know of a few people who are paying of mortgages and on centerlink
    They mustn't solely be on Centrelink benefits or weren't at the time of loan because banks don't class it as an income, trust me I tried.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I know of a few people who are paying of mortgages and on centerlink
    I do, but had a permanent 30 hour/week job at the time.

Oh, just to put it out there, I used compensation money to go towards a deposit. For shame.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I do, but had a permanent 30 hour/week job at the time.

Oh, just to put it out there, I used compensation money to go towards a deposit. For shame.
    For shame...

:P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Incase people haven't figured it out I used exaggerated language to highlight a point (beggers can't be choosers).

If centrelink is good enough for some, it should be good enough for everyone. If people can't work it's inevitable (or it should be) that their standard of living will drop. They are no better than folks currently on welfare. And yes I have been on welfare for a while and it was tight ... I firmly believe the world didn't/doesn't owe me anything.
    I think you're missing the whole point of workers comp- its not about who is better, it is about who bears responsibility when a worker is injured in the course of their employment. The government is not responsible for this- the employer is. A persons standard of living should not drop as a result if an injury sustained in the course of their employment. Nor should the government bear the cost of such an injury. But I can see you don't want to see it any other way do I'll leave it there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Then if you are injured while working or away for work enjoy living on clink if that's how you choose to live.

I personally wouldnt choose to live on clink if I could legally and rightfully claim compensation through my employers insurance if I was injured at work or away for work, but if you would prefer then that's your choice.

Though... Some one please correct me if I'm wrong - work cover is a business in itself? Like RACQ? Employers pay a fee for workers cover whether they have claims or not- their premiums go up if there are a lot of claims; and fair enough if they provide an unsafe work environment. Whereas clink is 'tax payers money' (yes I just threw up in my mouth a little that Im on this side of the fence - but hear me out! Lol) so if there is an alternative to claiming welfare, isn't it better for everyone if someone doesn't?

ALSO my BIL works for work cover in rehabilitation and physio. Work cover doesn't just give people money - they get people back to work. Not saying this woman necessarily required rehabilitation etc to get her back to work, but had she, she would have had it provided.

Do we really want to put people who have been working who have been injured in some way fulfilling work duties (staying away from home) at risk of winding up in a poverty cycle if they lose their job as a result of not being able to return to work in a timely manner also. If you are injured and it's not a work cover claim your unlikely to be able to just return to your job after a few weeks/months off work.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 22-04-2012 at 19:12.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

happygrl  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think you're missing the whole point of workers comp- its not about who is better, it is about who bears responsibility when a worker is injured in the course of their employment. The government is not responsible for this- the employer is. A persons standard of living should not drop as a result if an injury sustained in the course of their employment. Nor should the government bear the cost of such an injury. But I can see you don't want to see it any other way do I'll leave it there.
    And you're missing the whole point of my argument: an employer shouldn't be responsible unless they are negligent. I see you dont want to see it any other way so I'll leave it there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

Do we really want to put people who have been working who have been injured in some way fulfilling work duties (staying away from home) at risk of winding up in a poverty cycle if they lose their job as a result of not being able to return to work in a timely manner also. If you are injured and it's not a work cover claim your unlikely to be able to just return to your job after a few weeks/months off work.
    Good point. I support looking after injured workers, just not at the cost of the employer. I believe in employee paid income protection and centrelink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good point. I support looking after injured workers, just not at the cost of the employer. I believe in employee paid income protection and centrelink.
    two things;

It really doesn't matter what we think - at the end of the day Workcover does exist and this case has been judged to fall within the umbrella of a Workcover insurance covered insidence

Have you ever tried to claim under employee paid income protection much less get IP insurance ? I can't get income protection due to a pre existing condition which has rarely caused me to lose a days worth of work. Under Workcover Im covered for say a broken arm falling down stairs, under income protection I wouldn't even get covered for a broken fingernail. My BIL slipped and fell from scaffolding and was put through screaming hell under income protection for two broken elbows even though it was considered an accident by workspace. Had he been an employee he'dve been covered. Under private income protection it took 6 month before they paid out and he was in risk of losing his house. At last with Workcover ALL employees are covered.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

share a book  (23-04-2012)