+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Firstly I have said to SAB I don't think everyone who sends their kids to private thinks this way. If you wish to call it a rant fair enough. I've been a student in these schools and some parents (and teaching staff) are quite elitist. Not so much the little catholic schools but the big expensive ones. If you didn't send your child private for these reasons I'm not referring to you.

The OP asked a question of why people think that public is seen as a lesser choice. I answered and I knew it wouldn't be popular.
    Fair enough, i must have been feeling a bit touchy
    To be brutally honest (with myself lol), a few of my friends ARE sending their kids to particular schools just because of the name and the contacts their children will have, without giving any regard to the suitability of their child for the school. Adelaide seems particularly bad for this, and it sickens me

We have actively chosen schools that do not breed children and adults like this.
    Last edited by 4underfour; 20-04-2012 at 19:46. Reason: adding something in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The small catholic primaries are often made up of every dynamic. Single mum with religious beliefs that the school subsides. Non religious middle class parents that have had bad experiences with the public system. Middle class religious families. These are the types of schools I attended in primary and there was a little bit of elitism, although this was the 80's and my mum was single in a time it was even less socially acceptable.

It was high school that has left a bad taste in my mouth. I attended one that was 10k a year in the early to mid 90's and it was rife with snobbery and elitism. Our principle told us not to hang out with the <insert suburb> riff raff after school as they gave us a bad name by association. There were rumours ( a parent apparently worked in the office) that the school would toss applications if 2 names didn't appear for the parents. There was a really yucky snobby vibe to the school. Ironically, they finish last every single year behind the 'riff raff' schools in the HSC.

I know this isn't always the case. Our local catholic primary is quite nice. I went there as a kid and I know people with their kids there. It is like my first paragraph - full of different demographic with subsidies for struggling families. I would never send my child there as I'm atheist but yeah... it's a sweet little school by and large.
    Last edited by delirium; 20-04-2012 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because that's the only private schools around here apart from Montessori... And I chose not to go Montessori. I suppose I was silly to assume the religious part would have been only part of the curriculum and not intertwined into every single class. And yes I'm not religious if you've not already guessed. I didn't mean offense. Just stating how I felt. I was brought up in a strict roman catholic household and became a very nervous, scared person. Possibly the wrong views to be forcing apon children :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    How much is the private school? I am not poverty line. We have two mortgages, joint incomes of $170 000 per annum and I have no idea where to find the $10 000 for kindy from. I am seriously bummed about it.

If I can only begin to tell you the trauma it has caused me. I seriously have sleepless nights. I am a public school teacher and know they are great but I want dd and ds(still brewing) to go to a particular school.
    (yay I worked out how to quote on iPhone haha :P)

I completely understand when you've got something your heart is set on then that is what you want. Well I'm a single mother, third baby on the way (and last! Lol), I work for the government and earn just under 65k per year. I found a private school in brissy for just over 5k a year. I don't have a mortgage so there you go that's why it was possibly easy for me to afford. If I had a mortgage, completely different story!

My daughter now attends a public school on Brisbane's north side and it's fabulous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll be completely honest. (Happy to be shot down for having an opinion).

I DO think private school is better. I do thing because you pay for it you get something better than at public where it is free. And that goes for teachers, resources, type of peers, and opportunities given to a child.

Yes my DD1 is in a fairly top private school. She is excelling and doing very well and I can absolutely see a difference between her and other children I know with things like manners etc

The public schools around me all have really 'so so' reputations and almost everytime I see kids in a public uniform they look messy and are generally only wearing half the uniform anyway. Private instill the whole 'image' thing with having to always wear full uniform, look tidy and limited jewelery/ make up etc, hats to and from school. I like that requirement.

So now that you are all sitting their frowning and swearing at your computers (or me), here is the second part to my story................

DD2........ has special needs. She is missing part of a chromosone and therefore has a development delay, speech delay, low muscle tone, a couple of things like prominent forehead and lowset ears, and has the potential for an intelectual impairment! At this stage the pead thinks we have missed this bit. She is fairly mild in all that she has thankfully.

But I know DD1's school won't take DD2!!! There are 2 special needs school attached to public schools within a reasonable difference and both are $hit (the special needs dept and the public school itself)!!! And she would be majority in the 'normal' school and in the needs dept whenever needed. And still after looking at the public schools for this reason NONE of them will be one where I put DD2!! They just do not offer enough support or have the funding to provide the best for her. She is not 'bad enough' to qualify for Inclusion Support.

The only possibility I have so far is a Catholic school which is only about $2k a year. They are accommodating and do seem to have the facilities to enable DD2 to floiurish but I don't have any guarantees of getting in there. I also didn't like this school for DD1 as there are no extra curricular facilities. Its an average size school and there is one playground. No pool etc. Yep probably snobby.

So with DD2 I am considering part home schooling and hiring a part-time teacher who deals with special needs kids. Now that is going to be expensive, probably more than what may be manageable.

So, sorry that turned into a bit of a me me me rant but it was completely honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my views are based on my own experience with schools. I went to public, catholic and private and these experiences have shaped my views.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmumma View Post
    I'll be completely honest. (Happy to be shot down for having an opinion).

I DO think private school is better. I do thing because you pay for it you get something better than at public where it is free. And that goes for teachers, resources, type of peers, and opportunities given to a child.

Yes my DD1 is in a fairly top private school. She is excelling and doing very well and I can absolutely see a difference between her and other children I know with things like manners etc

The public schools around me all have really 'so so' reputations and almost everytime I see kids in a public uniform they look messy and are generally only wearing half the uniform anyway. Private instill the whole 'image' thing with having to always wear full uniform, look tidy and limited jewelery/ make up etc, hats to and from school. I like that requirement.

So now that you are all sitting their frowning and swearing at your computers (or me), here is the second part to my story................

DD2........ has special needs. She is missing part of a chromosone and therefore has a development delay, speech delay, low muscle tone, a couple of things like prominent forehead and lowset ears, and has the potential for an intelectual impairment! At this stage the pead thinks we have missed this bit. She is fairly mild in all that she has thankfully.

But I know DD1's school won't take DD2!!! There are 2 special needs school attached to public schools within a reasonable difference and both are $hit (the special needs dept and the public school itself)!!! And she would be majority in the 'normal' school and in the needs dept whenever needed. And still after looking at the public schools for this reason NONE of them will be one where I put DD2!! They just do not offer enough support or have the funding to provide the best for her. She is not 'bad enough' to qualify for Inclusion Support.

The only possibility I have so far is a Catholic school which is only about $2k a year. They are accommodating and do seem to have the facilities to enable DD2 to floiurish but I don't have any guarantees of getting in there. I also didn't like this school for DD1 as there are no extra curricular facilities. Its an average size school and there is one playground. No pool etc. Yep probably snobby.

So with DD2 I am considering part home schooling and hiring a part-time teacher who deals with special needs kids. Now that is going to be expensive, probably more than what may be manageable.

So, sorry that turned into a bit of a me me me rant but it was completely honest.
    I'm wondering why DD1s school
    won't take DD2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm wondering why DD1s school
    won't take DD2?
    Because elite private schools can discriminate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Hannahsmum - I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post as clearly our values as to what is important in education are different, and that's fine. But can I ask why this private school won't take your DD considering she doesn't have an Intellectual Disability?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Hannahsmum - I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post as clearly our values as to what is important in education are different, and that's fine. But can I ask why this private school won't take your DD considering she doesn't have an Intellectual Disability?
    I agree with your post.

I think she said the paed said her dd2 has the potential for intellectual disability.

Can't have someone bringing those naplan scores down.