+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a son in Grade 1 in a public school and have not had a problem yet.He has had great teachers,has learnt so much.He does Indoor/outdoor learning,music,computers,does cooking and excursions,class parties etc
    My son loves it and hes happy,so I am happy.
    Even if I had money,I prob wouldnt do private schools.I was destined to private school until my parents divorced...so glad I ended up going to public school

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did have my daughter in a private school but was really peeved off at her coming home with ridiculous lessons she had learnt on "creationism"... I'm NOT paying money to have my child miss out on science and evolution!!! On top of that all this nonsense about how God will "punish me because this or that is a sin"... I mean really! For a 5 year old to be scared I got put right off by it. DD is now in a public school which is absolutely lovely and community based. Lots of wonderful Mums who are non judgmental and friendly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps I'm not rich and still found a way to pay for private school. I don't see it as a privilege if there are fantastic public schools about though. There is always tutoring for extra help if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musiclovingmum View Post
    Ps I'm not rich and still found a way to pay for private school. I don't see it as a privilege if there are fantastic public schools about though. There is always tutoring for extra help if needed.
    How much is the private school? I am not poverty line. We have two mortgages, joint incomes of $170 000 per annum and I have no idea where to find the $10 000 for kindy from. I am seriously bummed about it.

If I can only begin to tell you the trauma it has caused me. I seriously have sleepless nights. I am a public school teacher and know they are great but I want dd and ds(still brewing) to go to a particular school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Musiclovingmum View Post
    I did have my daughter in a private school but was really peeved off at her coming home with ridiculous lessons she had learnt on "creationism"... I'm NOT paying money to have my child miss out on science and evolution!!! On top of that all this nonsense about how God will "punish me because this or that is a sin"... I mean really! For a 5 year old to be scared I got put right off by it. DD is now in a public school which is absolutely lovely and community based. Lots of wonderful Mums who are non judgmental and friendly
    If you send them to a Christian school, why wouldn't you expect Christian values and theories?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

share a book  (20-04-2012),squirrelex  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it comes down to less ferals in
    Private school. Wow that massively judgmental I know but there it is. Private school parents may be white collar thiefs, pedophiles, junkies.... Not perfect by any stretch. But the odds of my child visiting a friend and having a gun pulled on her are less around here if she goes to a private high school. Unfortunately we cannot afford one so we will send her to the school up the road where a gang fight left a teacher hospitalized, cause we have few options. Great system! Oh and we are zoned to the best high school btw in our town, and live in the wealthier area, but it doesn't weed out the criminal element, just reduces it.
    Ps. I know how this post sounds and I hate it. I have had a **** day where I have finally had I accept that public school is our only choice - and I hate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This thread is stressing me out big time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't perceive public schools to have bigger classes, infact only public school teachers have class size restrictions in their awards. However private schools are more likely to run smaller classes in high school. My Dh's experience as a high school teacher was in the public system if an elective class was not going to be big enough they generally put them on correspondence study and dropped the class. However at the moment my DH is teaching a HSC class of 2 students. It was one of the things he raves about to his friends working public, that they envy.
    I think the well behaved factor in private schools tend to come down to private schools having the ability to select their students. In the public school system my DH taught in bad kids were swapped to another public school and expelling them was seen as pretty extreme. DH also finds he gets a lot more reception from students parents when he has had to call home with issues in the private system than in the public system. The amount of parents he has called when he worked public about a students failure to submit assessments and was told by the parent 'not much I can do about it' is not funny.
    But school for school he has always gotten far more resource availability in the public system. As a public school teacher he could photocopy as much as he liked without restrictions. Budgets etc are much more frugal in the private system. One Sydney Ladies school turned all the heaters off during winter because of their electricity bills. My DH was teaching in vests, woolen blazers and gloves it was that cold!
    As for superiority in private systems. My DH earns nearly $15k more a year for working privately (but has a lot more expectation placed upon him with his time) and no longer has to worry about the public service wage restrictions crap being pulled by the NSW government in public schools.
    Would your husband be on the highest scale if working in a public school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    And so the anti rich rants start.
    That is certainly NOT why I believe private schools are better. I gave my answer previously and it did include issues such as more teacher accountability and smaller class sizes. Of course that is not the case at every school, I wouldn't know about every school. But in MY experience that is the case.
    I believe private is better for my kids. And it has nothing to do with rich vs poor.
    Firstly I have said to SAB I don't think everyone who sends their kids to private thinks this way. If you wish to call it a rant fair enough. I've been a student in these schools and some parents (and teaching staff) are quite elitist. Not so much the little catholic schools but the big expensive ones. If you didn't send your child private for these reasons I'm not referring to you.

The OP asked a question of why people think that public is seen as a lesser choice. I answered and I knew it wouldn't be popular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing