+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Bc I think it begins with the undercurrent that having more money means you are a better parent, more discipline, better clothes. In essence rich = better. So when' better' parents send their kids to expensive = better schools, you have' better' kids being educated in a 'better' environment with 'better outcomes'. As the teachers being worse in public, that is linked to the above. The 'best' schools attract the 'best' staff and public are left with the offcuts that weren't employed privately.... and of course I don't belief that for a second, but I'm answering why I think it is.
    And so the anti rich rants start.
    That is certainly NOT why I believe private schools are better. I gave my answer previously and it did include issues such as more teacher accountability and smaller class sizes. Of course that is not the case at every school, I wouldn't know about every school. But in MY experience that is the case.
    I believe private is better for my kids. And it has nothing to do with rich vs poor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is an anti-rich rant. It is what is portrayed by the media and has been mentioned by previous posters in this thread.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the way it was written offensive. I haven't said anything here about the difference in children's behaviors at public or private as I knew I would get shot down. But I know others have. What they said wasn't that rich= better parents, merely that there are more difficult children at their local public school especially if it is in a low socioeconomic area. I don't know how you can deny that, I've seen it time and time again at my mums schools (outer northern Adelaide) vs my local school. I don't like it, it's sad but it is true in my experience.
    And those difficult children unfortunately suck up teachers time
    People aren't being judgmental, it's just a fact from their own experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

Of course the following is a sweeping mass generalisation, but I always seem to find this under-currant that public-crap, private-awesome. I know teachers in private schools who think they are better than those in public systems (always a laugh, when I've never wanted to work private, and they've probably wanted to work public, so how one can be compared to another I'll never know.)
    I agree. I find this presumption of teachers in public/private equally frustrating and insulting. In fact teachers working in lower socio economic schools with greater social issues, need to be at the cutting edge of teaching pedagogies and innovative teaching and learning to do the best for all children in their care. Thinking that a private school teacher is a better educator because they work in a private school is beyond ridiculous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely takes more teaching skill to cater to more problem kids (in lower socio economic areas) and find more creative ways of engaging students.

The quality of teachers is exactly the same. Sure there are perks of private schools such as often better resources and equipment but even that isn't always the case.

I think it comes down to the AREA of the school more so then whether it is private/Christian or state

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think delirium's point was very valid. The question was "why are public schools seen as lesser". Her post was completely relevant to the question.

I agree with her, in our society more expensive is seen as 'better'. "You get what you pay for" is a telling sentence that people use often.

That doesn't say ANYTHING about rich vs poor, simply people's spending habits. I outearn a friend of mine by... I'd imagine... at least 4 x. She sends her DD to a private school in the Northern suburbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I believe it's the quality of teaching staff that makes a school great or sub par. I'm an ardent public school and public teacher supporter

But to answer the question... and this may attract some narkiness but hey I'm going to answer the question as honestly as I can...

Some people think when something costs a lot, that automatically makes it better, be it a lounge, a brand of dishwashing liquid, or education. They think spending 10k a year automatically means the school is better. In some cases the resources are better (bc they are milking the parents and getting govt funding) but it's doesn't necessarily mean it's a better school. There *can* be a lot of snobbery in private school circles, I know bc I went to them for 11 of my 13 years of schooling.

Money doesn't buy a good education, and public doesn't mean crap education. My DD's public school is proof of that.
    I agree. I also think it had a lot to do with what 'the jones's' are doing, the notion of keeping up appearances plays a part.
    This however is not only the realm of private school parents but those ardent 'supporters of public education' whose children WILL go public because it is aligned with their politics.
    Schooling choices which are made solely for these reasons are both mis guided and neither have the child at the centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    That doesn't say ANYTHING about rich vs poor, simply people's spending habits. I outearn a friend of mine by... I'd imagine... at least 4 x. She sends her DD to a private school in the Northern suburbs.
    I agree Private and Public aren't restricted to Rich and Poor.

We're "low income", but are sending our kids to a private school. I know many well off people with kids in public schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think delirium's point was very valid. The question was "why are public schools seen as lesser". Her post was completely relevant to the question.

I agree with her, in our society more expensive is seen as 'better'. "You get what you pay for" is a telling sentence that people use often.

The fact that she said again and again rich= better is saying something about rich vs poor. If she had talked about the perception that you get what you pay for, then I would have agreed totally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    She said there is an undercurrent.