+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What about when private schools ask for a non-refundable application fee, then ask for a non-refundable booking fee after application is successful, then a non-refundable entry fee.

Quite a bit of money to spend on a few schools, without any guarantee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    As I said in the other thread, I believe it's the quality of teaching staff that makes a school great or sub par. I'm an ardent public school and public teacher supporter

But to answer the question... and this may attract some narkiness but hey I'm going to answer the question as honestly as I can...

Some people think when something costs a lot, that automatically makes it better, be it a lounge, a brand of dishwashing liquid, or education. They think spending 10k a year automatically means the school is better. In some cases the resources are better (bc they are milking the parents and getting govt funding) but it's doesn't necessarily mean it's a better school. There *can* be a lot of snobbery in private school circles, I know bc I went to them for 11 of my 13 years of schooling.

Money doesn't buy a good education, and public doesn't mean crap education. My DD's public school is proof of that.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-04-2012),GlitterFarts  (20-04-2012),our4boys  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    If a public school was best I'd send them there. Like I said in the other thread, I was committed to public schools until my DD did two terms there. However, I did have her name down at multiple other schools just to keep my options open.
    If my preferred school knocked her back I guess I'd go for the second best option, as anybody would you have to send them somewhere. Sorry not sure where you were going with that question.
    Just interested in responses, that's why I asked the first question about knowing what is the best school for your child before they're even born.

I don't think catholic schools would have such demand, I don't know, but other private schools would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    What about when private schools ask for a non-refundable application fee, then ask for a non-refundable booking fee after application is successful, then a non-refundable entry fee.

Quite a bit of money to spend on a few schools, without any guarantee.
    None of ours did. I know you are all for public and seem to be very anti private, but if you lived wherr we live I guarantee you would not choose the schools in this catchment area.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (20-04-2012),nerdgirl99  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    As I said in the other thread, I believe it's the quality of teaching staff that makes a school great or sub par. I'm an ardent public school and public teacher supporter

But to answer the question... and this may attract some narkiness but hey I'm going to answer the question as honestly as I can...

Some people think when something costs a lot, that automatically makes it better, be it a lounge, a brand of dishwashing liquid, or education. They think spending 10k a year automatically means the school is better. In some cases the resources are better (bc they are milking the parents and getting govt funding) but it's doesn't necessarily mean it's a better school.
    That's exactly what I meant when I said it's all about marketing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    None of ours did. I know you are all for public and seem to be very anti private, but if you lived wherr we live I guarantee you would not choose the schools in this catchment area.
    I'm not so much against religious schools, despite the fact I'd never send my child to one because out of all schools, I think catholic schools suffer most when it comes to funding, resources etc. as most of them are reasonably priced compared to exclusive private school fees.

I don't agree with the funding exclusive private schools get when they're already coming from a position of privilege.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (21-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To me, i dont see public as a lesser choice, but we are blessed to be a part of a public school that for our situation is perfect.

Ill give and example of why ours is perfect for us, and why the exact same school is terrible for a friend.

My son has autism. He has access to funding for an aide which helps him greatly, ey also have an OT come in two times a week for an afternoon OT sessn for kids like my son, one session of OT costs us $75 so for him to be getting two a week for nothing is amazing, thats 5 ot sessions a fortnight!! ^_^ (we pay for one privately) his teacher from last year and his teachers this year have been amazing, sending regular emails back and forth with my sons speech path and OT, working together with me and my boy to make sure he passes that grade. Hs report cards are on the lower side of normal but still normal! No failing!! We couldnt ask for more really. His aide floats around the playground, and can always tell me if there has been an issue in the playground. If im particularly upset at school drop off about something (regarding ds) the teacher will rush upto me, the aide will too to see if im ok, and say they will keep a close eye on him, and then i get a call through the day to let me know how he is going.

My friend has a child who is far above her peers, she gets given homework above her actual grade and has gone as far as she can in level reading. She is bored and starting to misbehave because of this. They cant offer my friend any more to help her daughter advance, and suggested she enroll her in a grammer school. This has annoyed my friend beyond words, and i would too.

So for me the school is perfect, for her its not. Its about kids individual needs which makes a school decent or not in my opinion.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (20-04-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (21-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to add that the school I work in has 42% indigenous population, 33% ESL, very low socio-economic area, but it's a good school. I think the union has helped in ensuring the rights of teachers and students do not deteriorate in NSW, but with this newish state government and the changes it is implementing, I'm a little scared for the future of public education.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I wanted to say too, I support govt funding to private schools. It takes the burden off the public system and makes private a more viable choice for parents. But there's no doubt with parent fees and govt funding private can have better resources.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    To me, i dont see public as a lesser choice, but we are blessed to be a part of a public school that for our situation is perfect.

Ill give and example of why ours is perfect for us, and why the exact same school is terrible for a friend.

My son has autism. He has access to funding for an aide which helps him greatly, ey also have an OT come in two times a week for an afternoon OT sessn for kids like my son, one session of OT costs us $75 so for him to be getting two a week for nothing is amazing, thats 5 ot sessions a fortnight!! ^_^ (we pay for one privately) his teacher from last year and his teachers this year have been amazing, sending regular emails back and forth with my sons speech path and OT, working together with me and my boy to make sure he passes that grade. Hs report cards are on the lower side of normal but still normal! No failing!! We couldnt ask for more really. His aide floats around the playground, and can always tell me if there has been an issue in the playground. If im particularly upset at school drop off about something (regarding ds) the teacher will rush upto me, the aide will too to see if im ok, and say they will keep a close eye on him, and then i get a call through the day to let me know how he is going.

My friend has a child who is far above her peers, she gets given homework above her actual grade and has gone as far as she can in level reading. She is bored and starting to misbehave because of this. They cant offer my friend any more to help her daughter advance, and suggested she enroll her in a grammer school. This has annoyed my friend beyond words, and i would too.

So for me the school is perfect, for her its not. Its about kids individual needs which makes a school decent or not in my opinion.
    This is what DD's school is like. Lots of remedial programs but also to extend others. DD goes to the grade above her everyday for maths, she also has own reading program as she reads several years above. But her motor skills aren't so great, so they have spent time developing those. Every strength and deficit is addressed and supported.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (20-04-2012)