+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    There is no lesser or greater choice with schools there is only what is the best choice for my individual child.

You can look up myschools, naplan or any other range of data sets which gives you a whole lot of averages, but it doesn't mean anything when you are dealing with different children with different needs.

The biggest difference to a childs learning is the teacher. They come in good and bad at both public and private. Schools philosophies and teaching styles impact on quality teaching so this is important when making a choice. Class size makes a difference too but so does flexible learning spaces and it still depends on the learner on how effective this experience will be for them.

You get behaviour problems everywhere not just schools and especially not one type of schools. There's poorly behaved kids at every school and there's also poorly managed discipline policies at some too, private or public.

Your choice shouldn't be made on the type of school you want, but the individual child you have.

The only way to find out is to visit the school not visit any website with average statistics.
    I agree with all of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    In the private system the school is free to hire and fire as they like.
    For me this is the biggest factor.
    I'm a high school teacher and have worked in both public and private schools. It is practically impossible for public schools to get rid of a teacher. And there are a lot of "bad" ones out there. Private school teachers don't even get a second chance- if your teaching isn't up to scratch, you're out.

Having said that, I know of some great public schools as well as some dodgy private ones!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok, back now with a small amount of time up my sleeve, so bear with me whilst I read through the posts before I can clarify what I was trying to ask.. I just read over the OP and even I was like WTF?? I guess I *had* just woken up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a teacher and a parent of a school aged child.

Public/private is not really the issue IMO. Base each school on its merit. There is a wonderful public primary school in our area. But you couldn't pay me to send my kids to the public high school.

There are also private schools I wouldn't go near (one is walking distance from our house).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some people might choose the school best for their child, but how do people know that a private school is best for their child when they have to put their name down before or as soon as they are born, or even when the child is 2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (21-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    its only in australia.
    overseas its seen as 'you flunk out of public school so your parents have to pay for school'
    ive taught overseas, and thats the case by far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    People put the kids names down at multiple different schools. That's what myself and many others I know did. Then you choose closer to the time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Pina Colada  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Some people might choose the school best for their child, but how do people know that a private school is best for their child when they have to put their name down before or as soon as they are born, or even when the child is 2
    I guess people (like me) put names onto a few lists then make the final choice right before school starts. I do that with daycare too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    People put the kids names down at multiple different schools. That's what myself and many others I know did. Then you choose closer to the time.
    So if the school that is best for your child knocks you back?

What if a public school is the best?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a public school was best I'd send them there. Like I said in the other thread, I was committed to public schools until my DD did two terms there. However, I did have her name down at multiple other schools just to keep my options open.
    If my preferred school knocked her back I guess I'd go for the second best option, as anybody would you have to send them somewhere. Sorry not sure where you were going with that question.