+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with location playing a role, I will be sending my DS to a public primary near my mum as its a great school, can't say the same of those near me but am looking at private options for secondary. The good public ones are zoned and we fall outside it
    I personally went to a public primary and private secondary and loved both.

My mum used to say it all depends on the child.

A self disciplined child who works hard at school will do well anywhere, one like myself (who was a little slack) greatly benefit from how a private school will push their students.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    And assuming that kids who attend private school come from families that care more about their education is just crazy. I have known several private school students who's parents worked ridiculously hard so that their kids could go private, and expected the schools to do all the teaching that a child needs (ie. manners, respect, etc.).
    Yeah real crazy? Families just go on huge waiting lists, undertake multiple interviews, take their kids to a playgroup from 18mo that is essentially mandatory to get in and choose the school with this educational philosophy because they don't care more? The parents you described would find it impossible to get their kids into the school my kids are enrolled for and that is what I was talking about, not every private school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yeah real crazy? Families just go on huge waiting lists, undertake multiple interviews, take their kids to a playgroup from 18mo that is essentially mandatory to get in and choose the school with this educational philosophy because they don't care more? The parents you described would find it impossible to get their kids into the school my kids are enrolled for and that is what I was talking about, not every private school.
    My cousin's husband went through all this stuff too, and doesn't give two craps about the education his children are getting, just that they are attending an elite school that some semi celebrities send their kids to. So yes, assuming that all parents care is crazy.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can't think of anyone who cared more about their children's education than my dad. We were nagged and nagged and nagged from a very young age about education, and he taught us a lot from home. I was learning Russian and history from age 4. We went to public schooling because dad is a big, old pinko!

Some people will care more about their children's education and send them to private, others will care more about their children's education and send them to public. There's nothing to say that some parents won't send their children to even elite private schooling and teach them nothing at home. I personally do know people who send their kids to private for the supposed status, just as I know people who send their kids to private because in their area the public schools just don't cut it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-04-2012),share a book  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    To be fair then, it sounds like the school you have chosen would be out of reach for many parents - financially and otherwise, which makes your point about there being choice moot.

OP, did you see qanda a few weeks ago?

It's all about marketing (like everything else)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know what my child needs, and base each school on its own merit. The one we chose is private, but there are public schools in town I could easily send my child too, except they are too far away. Or they are zoned. Our school is an all-access school, no stairs, only at the front of the school where there are ramps for wide wheelchairs as well as steps. The rest of the school has cement paths for wheelchairs to travel on, all low level rooms, even their sports classes have all-access sports to allow for didabilities. They also have strong family values, they start each day by acknowledging the Indigenous community as original custodians of the land on which the school was built, and their stance on environmental issues match ours. This can all be found in public schools, just not the ones near me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Benji  (20-04-2012),LoveLivesHere  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the area you live in. If I was living in a good high socio-economic area then a public school would be fine but if I was living in an area that didnt then I would be extremely reluctant to send my kids there.

Also religion plays a big deal with it. I am religious and would rather a catholic school even if I was paying double/triple and driving across town. As my DH and I have discussed - its more important that we send our kids to school that has the values and morals that we are educating them at home with continued at school. If this means we have to take on additional work or reduce our expenses - thats fine.

I like the community aspect of parish schools. Going to church at the same place the kids go to school and high school is important to me. I drive across town to the church playgroup so that my DD gets used to the environment early (we live opp side of the city now) and meets people she might go to school with later on. I am involved with the parish council and events etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There was an article in this month's The Monthly that reflects my dilemma.

I'm against private schooling. I think there should be free, great quality education for everybody, and that children shouldn't be disadvantaged because their parents can't afford to buy better quality education.

But, when it comes to the crunch with my own children, I am terrified of regional or outer suburban schools. There are more social issues, more dysfunction, teachers are worn down by being threatened and dealing with social problems.

So, when we came to buying the house we would live in during school years, we had a certain amount to spend and had a choice between a dump in a high socioeconomic area or something new and shiny in a lower socioeconomic area. We chose the dump.

this allows me to maintain my left wing creed of sending my child to a public school, but I've engineered it so the schools will be okay. (as it happens, my son has some social issues, so I'm thinking of a non-main****** private school anyway, but that's mostly due to his social fears, rather than trying to obtain a better educational outcome).

My partner and I grew up in regional Queensland, and were pubicly educated. It was rough and ready, and the academic and social outcomes were a world away from what I now see in the city.

I wish I could fix the system, and think it's wrong, and I do feel guilty that I can buy my children better education by living in a higher socio economic area or paying for private.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-04-2012),mrsd  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think there are very good public schools and very good private schools.

I also think there are crap public and crap private.

I don't necessarily think just because you pay more, you get a better quality of education .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-04-2012),share a book  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really think there are very good public schools and very good private schools.

I also think there are crap public and crap private.

I don't necessarily think just because you pay more, you get a better quality of education .