+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me it's:
    Class sizes. 15 vs 26 means my child gets more one on one attention
    More likely to get a high quality teacher. From my experience in both systems there is an issue at the public schools with teachers being hired as permanent 20 years ago and the school having no power to get rid of them, no matter how terrible they are. These teachers seem to get shunted around class to class. My DD got one of those teachers in her first year and it was a disaster. The gov used to have a 10 year rule that teachers could only stay that long till being moved to a different school but now they can stay forever.
    In the private system the school is free to hire and fire as they like.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Are there any good public schools in Townsville? We can't afford private
    Hermit park primary is one I hear a lot of people rave about. But you have to be in the catchment area to go. I don't know a lot about other schools on that side of town but on the Thuringowa side I hear good things about Weir (I think that's where we will send DD). It doesn't have a catchment area so anyone can send their kids there. That said, the principle makes a lot of difference and the 'better schools' will likely chop and change a lot.

Sorry to derail OP. In answer to your question as snobby as it sounds my assumption is that paying for an education will 'weed out' the rougher kids. I am sure it's an ignorant assumption but a lot of the schools in my town (same as loving6 and SAB) are a little rough, especially in the outer suburbs.

I will be sending DD to public school because we aren't religious and it is unlikely we would be accepted into the catholic private schools (they have become very popular and Catholics get first preference). The only non-denominational private school is about $6000 a year for prep which we just can't justify.

I like the idea of smaller class sizes and the schools having more autonomy from the bumbling fool that can be Education Queensland.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think public schools are necessarily worse. There's one near me and people move to that area to get their kids into it because it has such a good name. I think it's just a generalised view because, overall, private schools have more money to fund lots of programs and extra curricular activities, and they rarely "go without" in terms of quality teachers, materials and equipment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is no lesser or greater choice with schools there is only what is the best choice for my individual child.

You can look up myschools, naplan or any other range of data sets which gives you a whole lot of averages, but it doesn't mean anything when you are dealing with different children with different needs.

The biggest difference to a childs learning is the teacher. They come in good and bad at both public and private. Schools philosophies and teaching styles impact on quality teaching so this is important when making a choice. Class size makes a difference too but so does flexible learning spaces and it still depends on the learner on how effective this experience will be for them.

You get behaviour problems everywhere not just schools and especially not one type of schools. There's poorly behaved kids at every school and there's also poorly managed discipline policies at some too, private or public.

Your choice shouldn't be made on the type of school you want, but the individual child you have.

The only way to find out is to visit the school not visit any website with average statistics.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (20-04-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (20-04-2012),share a book  (20-04-2012),The Fox  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't ever send my kids to a private school. I'd rather home school than send them private. Why? Because my experience with private schools and the students that attend/ed them is entirely negative.
    And assuming that kids who attend private school come from families that care more about their education is just crazy. I have known several private school students who's parents worked ridiculously hard so that their kids could go private, and expected the schools to do all the teaching that a child needs (ie. manners, respect, etc.).

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the school being public or private makes a difference. The kids aren't better behaved because they go to private and the kids aren't any worse behaved because they are public - they are all kids. It's the teachers.

Last year my child had a fantastic teacher, so wonderful, gosh just can't say enough good things about her. This year, I feel like the teacher is not coping at all, and I can see my child's learning suffering.

Then there's knowing that a horrible teacher from this public school went to private. So, there's that same teacher in public/private and teaching kids the exact same way.

I used to think I wanted to send my kids private for high school but now I realize I just need to find the right school, regardless on whether its public or private. Where I live there are just as many 'bad' private schools as there are 'bad' public. Ah, if only I could send the kids on a world travel trip and have tutors and tour guides teach them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

share a book  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in what is deemed a low socioeconomic area and for this area public is the lesser choice.
    It's nothing on the teachers, it's just the way it is.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

share a book  (20-04-2012),TheseBoysMumma  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    There is no lesser or greater choice with schools there is only what is the best choice for my individual child.
    This is exactly how I feel.

My children go/will go to a small private primary and secondary school. It's far from elitist and the values and philosophies blend in well with our family.

If there was a public school within our area that offered the same, we would have chosen that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had a look at all of the schools within reasonable driving distance from my house. Private and public. I wasn't happy with his local public school, nor was I happy with the private schools. The best school FOR HIM by FAR was a little public school that isn't zoned which is about 15 minute drive away. It had all of the values in a school that I was looking for, ticked every box and then some. The private schools near us didn't seem as big on multiculturalism nor reconciliation as his school, which is one major thing I was aiming for. The class sizes are also quite small, his reception class had about 11 students from memory, current class is still less than 20.

I haven't decided on high school yet, I know around here there's one particular private school which is notorious for students with drug habits as they have more access to money. I'm happy to send him to a private school if it ticks all of the boxes but so far I'm extremely happy with his public school.

ETA: I should add I don't see private schools as 'elitist', most of them are cheaper than a lot of normal families spend in child care and the kids are extremely normal kids, I can't tell the difference in my friends who went to public school or private, I really can't.

The elitist schools around here are the ones that are impossible to get into unless you're a politician or a millionairre.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post: