+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I only briefly skimmed through the link but you cannot opt out of the Commonwealth anti-discrimination legislation.

There are disability discrimination units in all states, including NSW and any questions about disability discrimination should be directed to them.
    It says schools can get easily get exemptions under commonwealth and state laws. Did you see the table?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I know you were only referring to the schools you teach in pink, but our public school has small class sizes. DD hasn't has a class size over 20 yet and our principle is very creative with our funding so we have a permanent cap of 15 each class for kinder, so we have several kinders. Maybe it's bc we live rurally? but then until the last few years when there has been a migration from the catholic to our school, their class sizes were around 28.

So I don't think there's any hard and fast rules to say public means big classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know you were only referring to the schools you teach in pink, but our public school has small class sizes. DD hasn't has a class size over 20 yet and our principle is very creative with our funding so we have a permanent cap of 15 each class for kinder, so we have several kinders. Maybe it's bc we live rurally? but then until the last few years when there has been a migration from the catholic to our school, their class sizes were around 28.

So I don't think there's any hard and fast rules to say public means big classes.
    No there is not. The public school around from us has 33 in year 3 this year, dd has 25 which is the upper limit. Prep classes have 2 full time aides per class, year 1 classes have 1 ft per class, and the rest have 2 per year level (3 classes per year level) while the public school aides are stretched to their limit. Like I said though, take each school on its own merit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school is public they work classes to be 22 students per class at the start of each year and the maximum allowed is 25 per class and then they said they can get another teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    take each school on its own merit.
    that was exactly my point though not every public school has high class sizes, but I'm also aware not all public are as good as the one DD has. So yes, I'm totally with you.

and on a completely unrelated note - has anyone else noticed the formatting and editting on the forum is playing silly buggers lately? mine takes out paragraphs drops a line on it's own, it's annoying 0-o
    Last edited by delirium; 20-04-2012 at 22:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I nwver said all state school have big classes but most I have worked in have... I have had a class of 22, but most have been 26-28. Publics schools "say" they have a max (eg 25 in year prep-2) but they will stretch this to 30 after "day 8" of school- that's when school teacher entitlements r negotiated... If the enrolments keep coming.
    My private school has an absolute max of 20. Preps are on 13 this yr!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It says schools can get easily get exemptions under commonwealth and state laws. Did you see the table?
    A main****** (by this I mean public or private school that does not specifically cater for students with special needs) educational facility cannot refuse to accept a student with a disability unless they can prove that accepting the student would cause undue hardship to the school and therefore the other students.

It does not matter what the table or the academic piece says - the law is that the only way that a school can defend a complaint of discrimination is by proving undue hardship.

Exemptions are only granted by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission in extreme cases and I have not seen any giving private NSW schools a blanket exemption.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    I nwver said all state school have big classes but most I have worked in have... I have had a class of 22, but most have been 26-28. Publics schools "say" they have a max (eg 25 in year prep-2) but they will stretch this to 30 after "day 8" of school- that's when school teacher entitlements r negotiated... If the enrolments keep coming.
    My private school has an absolute max of 20. Preps are on 13 this yr!!
    In NSW, classes have to be capped. Kindergarten max 20, year 1 - 22, year 2 - 24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They're not IMO.

I'm sure there are some better private schools than some public schools... but it's like saying, "all blue eyes work better than brown eyes," or something. It really depends on the individual school.

I really do not believe that, overall, religious schools are any better than public schools. I do think some other types of private schools may be more beneficial to certain children, however.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son is in year 1 at our local primary school and I cannot speak highly enough of it. The amount he has learnt blows me away and he is the type of kid that loves to learn in every aspect so I make sure he gets the opportunity at home to have full access to my laptop we read together he has a diary and writes full recounts everyday I also teach my kids manners I think it shouldn't be all up to the school to raise your children anyway. Ds school has small classroom sizes he has 19 students in his class this year, they go on excursions, on tuesday each class takes turns of going down to the local farmers markets purchase fresh fruit and vegies the come back to the school to make some form of lunch, they have computers in there class room plus do computers weekly in the computer lab, do music and creative arts where they get to choose what they want to do. They also have a brillant rewards system so ds actively tries everyday to do his best as he knows he will get credit for doing so. Honestly private school would never even be an option.