+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because as BigRedV said 'Private Schools discriminate".

I guess their reasoning is she is currently behind, approx 9-12 months. She is still only 3 though so I think really who knows. But yes she will generally always be behind. Her condition is very rare and the few of other kids I can get in contact with it is 50/50 whether they stay slightly behind till an age of around 10-12 when it is no longer noticed or they can continue to learn at a slower pace and fall further and further behind their peers. Guess its a rish they are not willing to take.

And yes I am very torn on pulling DD1 out or not. I love this school FOR DD1!! It has only done great things for her. Put DD2 in the picture and I go all "I want my kids at the same school". Plus I cried when I realised DD2 won't have the option of going there and suddenly hated the school. So now what? I have no idea!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I really think there are very good public schools and very good private schools.

I also think there are crap public and crap private.

I don't necessarily think just because you pay more, you get a better quality of education .
    I agree, and saying the I went to a primary school in a lower socio economic area than dd is now, and I can tell you my primary school was a million times better, in the way of helping children who need it, multicultralism, anti bullying and extra curriculars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahsmumma View Post
    Because as BigRedV said 'Private Schools discriminate".

I guess their reasoning is she is currently behind, approx 9-12 months. She is still only 3 though so I think really who knows. But yes she will generally always be behind. Her condition is very rare and the few of other kids I can get in contact with it is 50/50 whether they stay slightly behind till an age of around 10-12 when it is no longer noticed or they can continue to learn at a slower pace and fall further and further behind their peers. Guess its a rish they are not willing to take.

And yes I am very torn on pulling DD1 out or not. I love this school FOR DD1!! It has only done great things for her. Put DD2 in the picture and I go all "I want my kids at the same school". Plus I cried when I realised DD2 won't have the option of going there and suddenly hated the school. So now what? I have no idea!!
    Private schools have to adhere to the Disability Discrimination Act just like any other school and have to prove that they cannot afford to make the necessary adjustments for a student with disabilities to attend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Without wanting to judge there are some observations I have made, your reasons for sending your children to their schools are based on an instilling an 'image thing', manners and you also appear to like pools. I would think given DD2s difficulties, you would be looking at inclusion and equality. Unless you have put in an application for funding in a public school you can't know what they are able to offer for DD2. I appreciate DD1 is doing well where she is and for that reason I would also be reluctant to remove. I also understand people have different values and we make the best decisions for our children but I would hope it's based on more than a portrayed image a school puts on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    Private schools have to adhere to the Disability Discrimination Act just like any other school and have to prove that they cannot afford to make the necessary adjustments for a student with disabilities to attend.
    In NSW, schools are exempt from anti-discrimination laws, apart from race.

https://www.tai.org.au/file.php?file...apers/WP59.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't want to judge those reasons even though I'll be honest they do seem like issues of 'image'. I get we are all different. But.... and I'm trying tread lightly here as best as I can... why would you want to use and support a school that wouldn't want your daughter bc she is a little behind? DD has kids in her class, that for various reasons are behind a good year. But teachers work really hard to not only bring them up academically but in self esteem too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In NSW, schools are exempt from anti-discrimination laws, apart from race.

https://www.tai.org.au/file.php?file...apers/WP59.pdf
    I only briefly skimmed through the link but you cannot opt out of the Commonwealth anti-discrimination legislation.

There are disability discrimination units in all states, including NSW and any questions about disability discrimination should be directed to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musiclovingmum View Post
    Because that's the only private schools around here apart from Montessori... And I chose not to go Montessori. I suppose I was silly to assume the religious part would have been only part of the curriculum and not intertwined into every single class. And yes I'm not religious if you've not already guessed. I didn't mean offense. Just stating how I felt. I was brought up in a strict roman catholic household and became a very nervous, scared person. Possibly the wrong views to be forcing apon children :/
    I have never understood why someone who is not religious would send their kids to a religious school then become so angry about the religious content. Of course it's in every class. Feel free to esplain how that wotks. I know you said it was the only one in the area other than Montessori (so wish we had one here, we only have Montessori daycare centres), but then went public only after private failed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because at the time I was 22... I thought I was doing the right thing by my daughter. Ok.
    Thankfully I took her out before she had all of these stories imbedded into her head lol.

Ps I wasn't "so angry"... I just didn't like that the religion was so strictly enforced apon my child. I did sit down with the principle and HE KNEW my views... he was happy to accept. By the way it was SDA... Some parts I did agree with such as vegetarian lifestyle and not drinking or taking drugs... But then I had some stupid uneducated women tell me my food poisoning was due to me eating a bird that was infected with some exotic disease... Righto.
    Last edited by Musiclovingmum; 20-04-2012 at 22:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a teacher and this yr made the change from public to private. Me personally, I have noticed big difference! I went from 28 kids in my class in public to 18 in private. This allows me for more one on one time with children and smaller group focuses. I have more teacher Aide time, resources, a computer lab and much better in class behaviour (school doesn't tolerate it) . There is also More Leadership opportunitues for students and extra curricular activities.
    I'm not saying private is better- there r many amazing public schools. But for tjose who dont have access to a good local public school (i dont- my two local state schools have atrocious reputations) and you can afford to send your child to private, there are definate advantages.