+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My almost 8 month old waking through the night?

My daughter will be 8 months old next week and has been waking throughout the night? It started when she had her first cold (6 and a half months ) since then it has progressively gotten worse! Started out as once or twice and we would just give her the dummy and she would nod back off, now it's every couple of hours and sometimes she is awake for hours!!! She is not crying, just talking very happily? She is teething, she has 2 teeth which she got at 4 month and now another 2 are cutting through, she was fine with her first 2 teeth and her behaviour is much the same this time around? Any advice or info to help, we are very tired first time parents!!

Just wanted to add that she has always been a good sleeper, 7/8 hours from 3 weeks old and in the 97% for hight and weight.
    Last edited by Mama of 1; 20-04-2012 at 00:50. Reason: Forgot to mention

Thanks
    Reviews
    The "art of breastfeeding" novel by the la leche league actually mentioned this happening. Your daughter is likely going through a growth spirt. They also say that babies get much of their nutrients through the night.

Have you been feeding her when she's been waking up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The same goes for the cold. They get depleted when they are sick and really need the extra nutrients and vitamins. Are you breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had tried feeding her a few time when she initially started waking but she wasn't interested in eating ( bottle fed or breast fed) a couple of night when the extreme tiredness set in I would put her in bed with us when she wouldn't go back to sleep and she would nod off in a matter of minutes, I am also concerned that she will get too used to sleeping with us and won't want to go back to her own bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has she started crawling, standing / walking recently?

Around 6-7 months A & Ls sleep regressed. L has always been a sh1tty sleeper but A was a real surprise.

I read alot about 6 month old sleep regression. I'm still undecided if I believe it or not.

for my girls, from when the started to learn to crawl until they could walk reasonably well, they're sleep was rotten. They'd wake up all night & 'practise' too 'excited' to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has not started crawling yet but she has been standing for a few months now and is very strong on her legs! She sit really well on her own and is trying very hard to move around and get to things on her own. You might be onto something with the "practicing" theory!! Thanks ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 8.5mo and about a month or so ago she started waking more. She's never slept all through the night, but we had a nice manageable midnight feed then she'd sleep until 7am. Then she started waking at 11pm and 3am, sometimes more. It's tough because I also went back to work around that time.

I was told that because she had started being more mobile (started commando crawling at about 7mo and proper crawling at 8mo) she would sort of practice during REM sleep which would sometimes wake her up. It makes sense because she now ends up in all sorts of positions in her cot!

The good news is that it seems to be getting better. She's now waking at 10pm-ish for a feed then sleeps through til 6:30am. It's only been like that for about a week and not every night but it's definitely going in the right direction!

It will be interesting to see if your DDs sleep patterns change again once she masters crawling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteKnight View Post

for my girls, from when the started to learn to crawl until they could walk reasonably well, they're sleep was rotten. They'd wake up all night & 'practise' too 'excited' to sleep.
    I agree. DD nightweaned and slept thru at 14mths once she mastered walking. 6-14 mths was hell!! 16teeth crawling and walking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the info ladies, it seems we're going to have to ride this out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she is happy and not crying the best thing is to let her go and she will go back to sleep if self settling. At about 6-7 months they have a growth and development so the like to practice. Sorry can not be more helpful with what do do but that is what I would be doing if it was happening to me