+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coeliac kids

Are there any parents in the hub that have a child with diagnosed coeliac disease?
    I am concerned about my 14 month old DD and think she may have coeliac disease. She is currently having frequent (usually 4 a day) very large cream colored poos that smell offensive, a swollen abdomen and poor weight gain (has gained 1kg in last 5 months - she is 8.1kg). She eats well but it seems like it just goes through her without her using the nutrients etc. She is happy enough but I can tell there is something wrong. She is not growing like she should be and her nappies are just wrong 
    Does this sound like what happened with your child?
    We are taking her to the paediatrician at the end of next week but I am getting impatient to work out what is going on as she is just not right...
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no help here....but would love to see what is said.

My 19 month old is being tested for this at the moment.

Poor weight gain, tummy issues, bad sleep...only weighs 9.6kg.

We go back for results from blood/urine/poo tests in 2 weeks....in the meantime have been doing dairy free (with much improvement - yay) and I have been trying to cut back on gluten stuff (but only slowly getting educated).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    no help here....but would love to see what is said.

My 19 month old is being tested for this at the moment.

Poor weight gain, tummy issues, bad sleep...only weighs 9.6kg.

We go back for results from blood/urine/poo tests in 2 weeks....in the meantime have been doing dairy free (with much improvement - yay) and I have been trying to cut back on gluten stuff (but only slowly getting educated).
    I hope you get the answers you are looking for. I find it kind of strange cause I don't want dd to have coeliac disease but I desperately want an answer to this and for her to grow. If it is CD then I just want to get on with it so she gets better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i am the same....hoping it is something else...but, an answer will be so much better even if it is that!

I hate not knowing...and thinking i might be feeding her things that make her worse.

How are her other milestones? DD seems to be on top of all of those (like the walking, talking etc) so that at least reassures me a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as her milestones go she is not going too badly - a bit behind but I think that is just her iykwim. Not walking yet but not worried about that.
    Does your child have any other allergies or sensitivities? My DD is lactose intolerant and I suspect that she has a soy intolerance too as she gets bad nappy rash after having soy milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine was diagnosed at 7. They can't really diagnose under 2, there is a high rate of false positives and false negatives in that age group. My brother has removed gluten from his house and my nephew is far more settled now. They will consider a gluten challenge when he is over 5 and if he reacts they will push for a diagnosis but until then they are gluten free vegans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Mine was diagnosed at 7. They can't really diagnose under 2, there is a high rate of false positives and false negatives in that age group. My brother has removed gluten from his house and my nephew is far more settled now. They will consider a gluten challenge when he is over 5 and if he reacts they will push for a diagnosis but until then they are gluten free vegans.
    Can you tell me what symptoms your child had that made you suspect that she had coeliac disease? How early did you notice the symptoms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happy2bmum View Post
    Can you tell me what symptoms your child had that made you suspect that she had coeliac disease? How early did you notice the symptoms?
    Loose stools that people in nearby houses could smell, tummy aches after eating anything containing gluten, behavioural symptoms that were put down to ADHD symptoms, sleeping problems, increase in anxiety. A lot were put down to other things which is why she was diagnosed later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much