+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 years and still feeding to sleep...

Our daughter is nearly 2 and we still feed her bottle to sleep (after many failed attempts by 'experts' to train her differently). She has very few problems self settling once she has gone down though. Some kids follow the rules in books but most don't as a rule. Those books were written about someone else's kids, not yours.You will find that some people feel the need to judge you about this if you can't just put your kid down after 6 months, like you're doing it wrong. I'm not sure why people feel they have reason or the right to do this but self settling seems to be a polarising topic at best.What we found to be the most useful advice was from our GP whose been dealing with new parents and babies for 40 years... "Your baby will let you know what they need and you alone are the best person to know your baby. Listen to advice and try new things but 9/10 times what you intuitively feel is the right thing to do is actually what's best for you and bub."Good luck!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dadad For This Useful Post:

Ellies Mum  (27-04-2012),wigglemum  (27-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I breastfed DS2 to sleep until he was over two. It worked well and there were no tears for any of us
    I was very grateful for my iPhone tho, I could just lay there and check my pages while he dozed off lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    About 2-ish she just outgrew it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is 26 months and still feeds to sleep .. He can go to sleep without it though but prefers to have it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    I breastfed DS2 to sleep until he was over two. It worked well and there were no tears for any of us
    I was very grateful for my iPhone tho, I could just lay there and check my pages while he dozed off lol.
    Yup this is me lol she's almost 2 and as long as I have the iPhone it doesn't bother me laying there. I assume she will grow out of it in the next year sometime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I would love to know the HOW part! I'm still feeding my 22 month old to sleep its the only way she will go to sleep. That means 22 months of being the only person who can get her to sleep, having to arrange any outing to be after I have put her to sleep. It's driving me insane! I don't even know how to start stopping this!
    ok, I'm currently boob feeding my 4 month old to sleep and I'm cool with it thus far. But when my first dd was close to a year I was sooooo over doing it so I can't imagine how you are coping at 22 months!

Well, for me, the answer was simply: my husband. He offered one night to try to settle her himself, (I think she was maybe 10 or so months). I was doubtful but went with it. First I fed her one boob then the other before she got too comfy then handed her wide awake to dh.

He took her to the bedroom and wrapped and rocked her and simply refused to bring her back to me. She only took about 15 minutes to go off the first time and it got easier after that! I was SO surprised. I honestly didn't think it could be done. I thought she'd just lose it and lose it and lose it.

So from that night forth that's what I did - a quick feed, not letting her get too comfy and then a handover to dh.

I think at 22 months you might find a bigger protest, but it would be worth pushing through the barrier. At that age, dd had other long standing issues that I decided to clamp down on and while she did crack up a fair bit at first, she did become used to the changes and I was very glad I'd firmed up.

It's hard but do it! You'll be so much happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    What you mean we have to stop??? Miss E is 9 mths, still feeding to sleep. It suits us
    Agreed. I love boobing to sleep, it's easy, stress free and is right for us. DP is able to rock or pat her to sleep

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    JUST breastfed my 2 year old to sleep! It doesn't happen very often these days, and i love when it does.

It stopped working everytime sometime after 12 months of age, and i was shattered. My DH has been able to settle her in other ways when i haven't been here.

i didn't do anything to make the change, she would just feed and then come off to go to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed DS1 to sleep whenever he wanted to until he weaned at 2 years 9 months. He would also fall asleep other ways, or sometimes would just lay beside me and doze off.

DS2 gets so much comfort from b**bing to sleep and is welcome to continue as long as he wants. He'll also fall asleep in my arms, in a pram, in the car etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elliesmum I was reading through this thread this morning and at the differing ideas within.
    What works for some does not work for others for many reasons.

I wanted to give up boob feeding to sleep at 10 months or so because it wasn't a quick thing. She'd be on there for an hour to 2 hours not fully settling. She was the worst sleeper ever and hated her cot so I had a lot of difficulty getting her from breast to cot.
    This is why something had to change for us - it was getting me really down. Sitting there in silence too I might add because the slightest noise distrubed her (in other words - I couldn't just watch tv while I did it!)

So as far as 'when' to change what you are doing - I believe this applies to most aspects of baby care - change when it no longer works or is doing more harm than good. A resentful mummy isn't a good thing.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it is broke then for heaven's sake DO fix it!

We are all different. So do it when you feel it is time to change. And enlist your partner's help with it if you can. If no boobs are present then bub often just settles faster.

For the record, neither of my children self settled. The current bub sleeps in a baby bjorn during the day as it's the only way I can get her to sleep and stay asleep. It's just what is working at the moment for us.

My last bub was the same. It changed over time and the changes just sort of happened without much warning.

Just go with the flow. Don't try to fit into a text book or do what you see your friends doing. It's so personal and all your own business.

All the best with your baby and parenting adventures.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-04-2012),Ellies Mum  (28-04-2012)