+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How/when do you stop Feeding to sleep?

As the title says... I currently feed my 14 week old to sleep, mostly only at night, but also during the day if she is too overtired to go down any other way. What techniques have worked for you and at what age did you try to teach self settling?

She currently has an evening routine of bath, music, feed, bed. But I am not sure of what sort of daytime sleep routine to initiate.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellies Mum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not much help but I still do it with my 6 month old. I just figure if it works why change it?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it til about 6 months with my DD1 and then she just grew out of needing to do it to fall asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to know the HOW part! I'm still feeding my 22 month old to sleep its the only way she will go to sleep. That means 22 months of being the only person who can get her to sleep, having to arrange any outing to be after I have put her to sleep. It's driving me insane! I don't even know how to start stopping this!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 14 week old too and for day sleeps I have been swaddling or using a wrap me up, putting her in her cot and then singing and rocking/patting. It took AGES at first for her to sleep but is taking less and less now. I use a dummy too if desperate and will pick her up if she starts crying alot, often me singing louder settles her though.

Sometimes I don't need to rock or pat and have a monitor that plays songs so can put that on instead of singing....I am so over twinkle twinkle!

I rarely feed to sleep now as I was finding that dd wouldn't stay asleep for very long. Good luck!!!

Sent from my LT15i

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops and to try and answer your question OP, we went to tresillian at 6 months and they recommended following eat play sleep routine so they don't get use to falling asleep on boob/bottle. So at night maybe try bath feed story and song then bed. She is young enough to adapt easily to a change in routine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another one that feeds to sleep. Thank you for this thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so far for the responses I have been attempting to follow feed play sleep pattern but if I have to feed her to sleep during the day it seems to thow this all out of wack! I have no problem continuing to feed to sleep at night for awhile longer... although as with a PP I'm not sure I want to be the sole sleep person at 22months! (I feel for you.. that would drive me insane as well!). Just thought it would be nice to start teaching her to self settle at least through the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At about 1 year old, when it stopped working. I'd tried before then but it didn't really stick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At about 6/7 months I started feeding till drowsy and then rocking to sleep. Then eventually rocking more and feeding less. Also trying to put DS in the cot awake but drowsy although that stopped when he started crawling. Once he got to the stage he could be rocked with no feeding we changed to a feed, play, sleep routine.

There was quite a lot of crying while I was rocking him as he still wanted boob but he knew he was safe and cuddled and sang to and it also really really cut down his night waking so I was much happier.

After a very long time we changed from rocking to cuddling in the chair. It's awesome. DS also has no problems being put to sleep by DH or his grandparents which is great.