+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working full time with a newborn.. and expressing??

Just looking for advice or thoughts on whether I should go to work...

I'm a SAHM of two girl 5 and 3, and expecting a third in September.
    My DH can get 12 months paid (70%) paternity leave once the baby's born so we thought I could look for some work during that time.
    So I did and have been offered a full-time position, somewhere I'd love to work, to start mid-August.
    They know I'm pregnant and are ok with me starting later maybe once the baby is four weeks old.

The pay would be great, the position would be great.
    My concerns are: I BF both my girls exclusively until 6 months, then didn't wean til they were over 2 years old. I would want to (try to) do this for my third, which would mean expressing at work.. is it possible to maintain a BF relationship with such a young baby, when working fulltime?

Also, I might miss the baby. Of course.
    I've been a full-time mum for almost 6 years, and I feel ready for work, I'm craving that extra stimualtion. I just worry that once reality hits, and my baby is here, I won't in fact want to be separated for so long.

Anyone have any thoughts, advice? Most of what I read is mums who HAVE to go back to work but don;t want to. Or mums who go back with a 4 month old or older. Maybe 4 weeks is too young for me to leave (although as I said, DH will be at home with baby)?

Sorry, long post. Any advice appreciated

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hmmm, I would say that it would probably be better to return to work at 6-8 weeks in order to establish your milk supply. Will you be able to express every two-three hours at work? Are you prepared to also wake up overnight for the night feeds too? Are you experienced at expressing? I would invest in a quality electric pump. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply and advice.
    I'm still in the negotiating phase of the process, so I can probably try to get 6-8 weeks delayed start. It would be good to have clear in my mind what I want/need to make it work, and if they cannot offer me that, then I'll accept that it wasn't meant to be. I know I'm lucky to be in a position to have some choice. Thanks for helping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are confident expressing the logistics may not be so difficult. But 4 weeks is very early - still potentially bleeding from the birth etc.

Is it possible for DH to bring your baby to you to feed a few feeds a day even if not for all of them? That can make a difference - less pressure on you for expressing.

If you are looking at expressing one of the pieces of advice I found most helpful was to express before the first 'wake up for the day' feed. My supply was the best then and DD always managed to get enough too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How do YOU feel about being separated from your baby and your other two children for all day? If you feel like you would be OK with it, go for it! I personally was no where near ready to go back to work at 4 weeks (I still don't want to leave my toddler over a year later, lol!), but if you feel OK with it and that it is right for your family, you will make it work with expressing, etc.

Just a little idea - if you are already living on a single income (which I assume you are because you are a SAHM while DH works), and your DH can get paid paternity leave at 70% of his pay, could you just go back to work part-time so that you can make up just the other 30% of his pay, without having to go full time? At least for the first few months? It might be easier on your body to ease back into work, rather than being a SAHM for years, have another baby and BAM! full time work.

Anyway, whatever you decide, all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It won't be possible for DH to bring bub in for feeds, too far away.
    I do kind of forget how it feel in those first few months, emotionally and physically, which is why your thoughts are all very helpful.
    And you're right Regina, part-time would be ideal.
    I will see if I can negotiate this before we seal a deal.. although it was advertised as a full-time.
    I'm overseas and don't speak the local language well enough to work. This is an English-speaking position and they don't come up very often. So I feel a bit limited in choices, which is why I was so happy to have almost been offered this job. That said, I don't feel pressured to take the job, I'd actually like to since I've been out of the game for so many years and enjoy my work..