+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    You have to for your health. I know it is an animal product but the animal didn't die to make that gelatine, it is a By-product and would otherwise be discarded. Better for your health than to be wasted.
    Totally get that, but wondered how people who are on a veg lifestyle cope with it within themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know share a book, I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere. A lot of medicines are tested on animals, and need to be, it is a fact of life. Animals are killed and dehomed in all sorts of industries you'd never even think of. VegetArian restaurants probably still use pest control and mousetraps if they have to. You cannot control everything and sometimes you've just got to let it go. I cannot speak from a vegetarian pov but I do have my own morals that are sometimes compromised because there's little or no choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just remind myself that in all other avenues I'm as conscious as possible. And hope that one day there are better options.

It sux.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I completely understand. I do seek out an alternative but with medication it is really hard as there sometimes isn't one. It's not like a woolen jumper or a leather shoe where there are plenty of alternatives to be found.

A few vegan friends do go so far as to buy vege-gel caps and re-cap the gelatin covered ones. the danger there though is not getting the right dosage in the cap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also would seek out an alternative - compound pharmacies can make gelatine free and lactose free pills. As you said though, cost is a factor. Ultimately, I would not beat myself up over something like that, I know that I do what I can to reduce animal suffering. I can only do so much.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I'm vegan and just wanted to chip in. In general my attitude is that if it's for my health, I'll take it, but not if it's just for my comfort. I think if the only medicine I can take isn't vegan-friendly, then I have no option - I still want them to make a veg-friendly one but that doesn't mean that I will feel terribly guilty about it. For me, being vegan is about doing the best I can, not being 'perfect' - which I'm not, can't be, and neither is the world. I will certainly be having my children vaxxed as the harm of not vaxxing (imo) is much worse than them ingesting an animal product. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but I am realistic.
    xR

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsRB For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (19-04-2012),GreenMama  (19-04-2012),MissMuppet  (23-04-2012),share a book  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not that same, but I disagree with using animal products in fashion. I think it's stupid for an animal to be killed for superficial means.

That said, I will provide my daughter with leather shoes. I have problems with my feet and had to see a pediatrist as a kid... so understand the importance of good quality, good-fitting shoes. I don't feel you can find these in a non-leather shoe... so I compromise my beliefs for her foot health. That's how I feel about it anyway... and suspect if I was a vegetarian, my stance of the pill issue would be the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been dealing with this for most of this pregnancy, not fun. Due to a DVT i had two weeks post birth with DD I have to inject blood thinners - "of porcine origin" - daily throughout this pregnancy. It disturbed me quite a bit to start with, particularly as it was pigs I felt so much for and pig products which I stopped eating first, all those 16 or so years ago.

But there is no alternative, and it's not just about me, it's about this baby too, and about being around for my DD and my DF. As difficult as it was to start with I just had to not think about it and get on with it. There's really no other option.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell SAB.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsRB View Post
    Hi,
    I'm vegan and just wanted to chip in. In general my attitude is that if it's for my health, I'll take it, but not if it's just for my comfort. I think if the only medicine I can take isn't vegan-friendly, then I have no option - I still want them to make a veg-friendly one but that doesn't mean that I will feel terribly guilty about it. For me, being vegan is about doing the best I can, not being 'perfect' - which I'm not, can't be, and neither is the world. I will certainly be having my children vaxxed as the harm of not vaxxing (imo) is much worse than them ingesting an animal product. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but I am realistic.
    xR
    Thanks, I feel particularly bad because there is an alternative, but it's not on the PBS and not recommended like the one I was given anyway. It has a synthetic coating, but slightly different ingredients.

The idea of putting it from one casing to another is good, but maybe once I get more used to the condition and know more about it. Maybe.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Then it isn't a real alternative SAB. It has to be an alternative that you are capable of and you are not right now.

Take heart that lots of us veg*ns feel the same way when we encounter things like this, but we wouldn't risk our lives.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (23-04-2012)