+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ipswich Hospital - Positive stories please

Ok ladies, if anyone has had their precious cargo delivered at Ipswich hospital in past 12mths and had a positive experience please let me know!

I had DD there almost 12mths ago, currently 17wks pregnant with no2 and heading back to Ipswich again with a private midwife to hold my hand as the first time was very questionable. But i cant fault the NICU for the care they took of my prem.

I had 3 appointments in total at the hospital last time, and had DD at 33wks. So 2 with a midwife and one with a "school boy obstetrician" that was fresh out of training and had lost his notes.

So the short version of the birth..... they thought i had a uti, did an internal check, said i would have a preterm baby but not that day..... so next thing you know my waters broken and shes half way out and they are all in a panic trying to organise the room. 30mins later she was rushed off to NICU.

Preterm labour doesnt scare me, the hospital does! Hence why i have a private midwife to see me thru this time, i just want to be taken seriously this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister has had 7 positive births at Ipswich over the years & my friend had a good experience with a c section about 3 weeks ago. I'll be going there too so hopefully without drama

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-27.584295,152.730907

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my daughter at ipswich!

I will say the bad things first off because there isn't many and there not really that big, just what I found

Ok well I had a complicated pregnancy, pretty much every single time I went up there (once or twice a week) I would see a different OB (I know you get that everywhere in public) but I just found I would have to tell them everything and go trough what felt like my whole pregnancy with them, and some OBs would give different advise then others eg; one said I needed a c-section the other didn't.
    That was the only bad experience I had.. But that was more me being a frustrated pregnant woman! Lol you get it at every hospital.

And some of the OBs (mostly the registrars) are not very sympathetic. You really have to explain to them what your concerns are ect.

The good stuff!

Pregnancy-
    • if they ever thought for one second something wasn't right i had tests done, baby was monitored, and ultrasounds were done, I did feel as though I was in good hands.
    They induced me at 40 weeks due to some complications, but there defiantly not the type to just induce women for the sake of it, which I think is great personally.

My birth:

• Midwives! Oh my goodness! They are amazing! They make you feel welcome, taken care of, and they really spend time with you after bub is born. They don't pressure you to do anything you don't want to and its just a great atmosphere.
    They were great with me during my induction, took care of me during labour, we're very supportive and extremely sympathetic.
    My labour went down hill extremely quickly (just from problems I had when pregnant, nothing they did) and the midwives were right on it. With in 5 mins I had about 7 OBs in the room, and the midwives still made me feel as though I was in safe hands.
    and although it was hectic around me they managed to keep me calm.

• I did have a c-section in the end, the OBs who did it, were amazing, they took time out after to talk to my husband about what had happened, and they day after came in to my room see if I was doing ok. I can not tell you enough how amazing they were to me, and my daughter!

• I never had an infection in the c-section, never had a problem with it.

• in recovery, once again they were great.

Afterbirth:
    • I daughter was born safely, she had meconium and her heart rate had dropped and didn't rise, but once she was out they took her right to the pediatrics and about 3-4 pediatric doctors looked over her and monitored her for long time, once they were confident she was fine, she was with my husband until I got out of recovery.

• in the after birth suit I had a midwife come in every hour to see how I was going, If I needed anything or if I needed any support or help with breast feeding or if I just needed some help in general.

• I shared a room with one other lady, she had a natural birth, she also received the same level of care

• I had a nurse in every 3-4 hours checking my drip, my pads, and to make sure all my medication was in order.

• I also had a a pediatrician come in once a day to check on my daughter (lady next to me also had this)

• I had a physio therapist (spelling?) come up after to show both me and the lady next to me how to safely pick things up after giving birth ect she also showed us massages to give bub when they are upset and unsettled. She was really helpful.

• I took part in there at home at program, so I was in hospital for 3 days then went home (my decision) and they had a midwife come out to my house daily for a week, I also had after care with the GYNO/OB but had to travel to the hospital for that.

Sorry for going on and on.
    Just thought i would tell you everything I knew and had experienced

I had been told good and bad things about Ipswich so I was nervous about going there. But only complaints I have is when I was pregnant and the little things they did, nothing major.

I left healthy, my daughter left in my arms healthy and safe. That's the best outcome I could have asked for

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would add, I did have a private midwife there too, I think that really helped! As she really showed concern when the "school boy OBs" didn't (ROFL school boy OBs, love it! )

U think if I went through there "normal system" and didn't have my midwife things might have been different. As like I said the OBs didn't show much concern until my midwife jumped in.

Also a tip the midwife gave me, if you ever feel as though your not getting the right level of care, go down to reception and ask to see a social worker, they pretty much step in and tell the OBs that your concerns must be met and any testing ect that you want done have to be met.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 6 children at ipswich going through the midwife clinic. i cannot fault them. with my last pregnancy i had gd and they were really great. i seriously have nothing bad to say about the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Rachell for your lengthy reply, not only helped me but hopefully anyone else that has concerns about Ipswich. Last time I did shared care with GP and the hospital, no midwife and the OB did say after my birth i was the most peculiar case he'd ever seen, I was borderline being sent to the mater, I was relieved when they kept me. I think the major issue I had was not being taken seriously and they were on changeover, so once the change over was finished and i had the OB and same midwife checking on me, i actually got the care, then the panic, followed by a very caring midwife talking me thru it calmly in my ear, while i had my eyes shut in disbelief my baby was coming out.

I had my first appointment up at the hospital with the OB yesterday, and my midwife went with me, the OB remembers my birth of my DD so hes reviewed everything from last time and came up with a plan for the next 10 weeks, scans and tests etc, so they can keep on top of my body changes encase it looks like i am going preterm again.

The private midwife makes such a difference, just the fact she knows all the hospital staff and OBs that put your mind completely at ease, which is what i wanted. So fingers crossed everything keeps running smoothly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a very positive birth (15 months ago) at Ipswich. I went through the midwifery group practice, so only had one booking in appointment at the hospital, all the others were with my GP (at the very start) and the midwives at my local health clinic.

I had a very straight forward pregnancy (although did get some growth scans towards the end due to fundal height being significantly behind). My birth was a very straight forward drug free/ intervention free VB. My primary middy was the only person in the birth suite (aside from DH), and she was just amazing. DH and I were coping pretty well on our own, so she very much kept in the background, just monitoring bubs heartrate etc when she needed.

We chose the early discharge option, so 4 hours after bub was born we went home. The middies then made home visits over the next few days to check on us and offer help etc. I really can't fault my birth experience at all.

ETA: my full birth story if here is you're interested: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-my-first-born-)

Good luck
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 20-04-2012 at 08:59.