+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old screaming in pain when doing number 2

Hi all,

I have started dd 6 mths on solids for about a month or so now, but have only just started to give her a couple of tablespoons twice a day for about a month now.

Anyway, for the last 2 days, she has been screaming in pain when she tries to poo. She stiffens up and sweats and screams. Her poo when she does one is small, but not rock hard, although her bottom is a bit red?

Not sure whats happening, or what to do about it?

Has anyone elses bub had this happen? Do I need to take her to the doc?

TIA

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh my DD is constipated too at the moment, she has never been before so it's all new to me!

I have identified what the cause was (weetbix, She has been eating about 2-3 tablespoons for bfast the past few days) we have stopped giving her all solids and I am spending the day breastfeeding her as much as she wants. I found this colic video helped her go earlier http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_u...Q-7gREcM&gl=AU this link was also helpful http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...n_and_children

I hope she poops soon

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-04-2012),SpiritofaWarrior  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What foods are you giving her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What foods are you giving her?
    She has tried carrot, pumpkin, zucchini, sweet potatoe, potatoe, peas.

apple,pear,avocado

Do you think it might be the potatoe? It all started after she had some for dinner on Mon night. But than again, the volume of food has increased in the last 2 weeks or so also. I just dont know, its all a matter of elimination
    Last edited by SpiritofaWarrior; 19-04-2012 at 19:35. Reason: added the M on Mon

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has troubles with peas, I've read that beans and peas can upset bubs tummy???? It might not be the pooing as such, but maybe the upset belly that. Ones with it??????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It may be the potatoes, white potatoes are very starchy and this could cause constipation, plus when babies start solids it takes their tummies a few weeks to get used to it , especially if they started early as the pancreatic enzymes needed do not reach adequate levels to digest starch until around 6 months , just give them a miss for a while, i hope she gets better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It may be the potatoes, white potatoes are very starchy and this could cause constipation, plus when babies start solids it takes their tummies a few weeks to get used to it , especially if they started early as the pancreatic enzymes needed do not reach adequate levels to digest starch until around 6 months , just give them a miss for a while, i hope she gets better soon!
    this is correct.

off the topic but remember that video of alicia silverstone chewing her kids food?? well adults have sufficient amylase in their saliva to break down starches in foods... so her chewing and feeding her son is physiologically ok.

ick factor present tho. you are better off with sweet potato.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she is screaming in pain I would take her to the Dr ASAP. Babies getting funny bowl movements after starting solids is pretty normal. Any pain though is not. If it happens again, I would want to be on the safe side and get her checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd start her on some lactulose (bottle from the chemist) 5ml until her stools are soft, then start to wean it down. Many babies get constipated when starting solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I did have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been the potatoe. She is a little better ie. not screaming so much in pain now, but still only has a small poop each day.

Think I will lay off the solids for a few days and see how she goes.

Thanks again