+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 week old refusing to sleep during the day unless being held!

Hi ladies,

I'm really hoping you might have some advice for me.

My 4 week old DD will not sleep during the day unless she's being held. This isn't so bad at the moment as my DH is still off work and can help with our toddler DD1 while I'm cuddling DD2 but he goes back to work soon and there's no way I can hold her all day on my own while caring for DD1.

The thing that really confuses me is that she is a great sleeper at night, I can put her down wide awake any time from 8:30pm onwards and she'll go to sleep on her own no worries. We are getting a 4-6 hour stretch from her for her first night sleep and then she'll wake 3-4 hourly from there. So, i know she can put herself off to sleep when she wants to.

During the day is a different story though, I can't put her down, even if she's fast asleep in my arms - she'll wake within 5 minutes and cry.

Any advice. I have a baby carrier but I'm torn about using it for sleeping during the day in case she gets hooked on it. I'd really like to find a way to get her to happily sleep in her cot during the day.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry double post - silly iPhone. I don't know if/how I can delete!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bump & subscribing, similar probs with my six week old

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you wrap her/swaddle? Perhaps the firmness of that will help he feel secure?

Thanks
    Reviews
    to you and can be so frustrating when they don't sleep when you would like them to, I'm sure your doing the best job that you can. Hopefully you will get alot of helpfull advice/strategies from the mums and dad's on here today.
    My youngest wasn't such a good day sleeper either at that age, but what worked for me was using my baby carrier and I would vacume then after about 20 mins ( which i think is baby's first sleep cycle?) I would put him in his cot still in his baby carrier so he still felt "cuddled' and then if/when he would wake up again i would go in and quietly shush him whilst patting his bottom or stroking his hair untill he went back to sleep, though if he got too worked up I would pick him up and go about the day.
    Your bubba's still very young and I know it's easy for me to say but have patience and just keep trying different strategies untill something works for him and you.
    I hope he starts sleeping for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I assume you have tried wrapping/swaddling to help her feel secure in cot? My DD was the same (except not good at night either) and a hammock (Miyo brand hung from.ceiling) was a life saver! We just bounced her to sleep in it and if she woke and needed resettling we just bounced it again. The hammock design helps them feel held and snug which i think was the key. I also wore her in a hug a bub wrap carrier if she needed it and i decided to stopped stressing about 'bad habits' and relish the special bubby snuggles. I also had a toddler so I understand what you mean. I used.TV as a babysitter while I got DD to sleep in hammock or carrier.

Enjoy this precious time with your newborn

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Do you wrap her/swaddle? Perhaps the firmness of that will help he feel secure?
    This... my DS would only sleep as a newbie if he was as snug as a bug in a rug. I'd wrap him, give him cuddles/feed to sleep then put him down. By 3-4 months when it was too hot up here to wrap i'd jst loosen the wrap each week until he got used to not being tightly wrapped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know it would be frustrating as you have things to do through the day but yay for sleeping good at night!
    Just wondering if your DD is swaddled? I used to wrap my DD's and feed them to sleep, then after transferring them to the cot I'd pat them until I knew they were well and truly asleep. They also had dummies.
    Another thing you could try is a sling or carrier and hope bub doesn't get to reliant on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 9 wk old dd does the same!!! I have 3 other children to take care of so can be difficult sometimes :/
    Sometimes not always she will not cry but just whinge and then self settle and go off and sleep for about an hour or so!!
    I find that she sleeps longer if she does self settle!!

I am getting great nights sleep from her , last night got 11 hrs straight!!
    When I say to ppl that she's a great sleeper of a night and not during the day the response I get is " well I guess you can't have both "
    Hmmmm !!!

I do understand that she sleeps so well at night cause she doesn't sleep very well during the day!!!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry about her relying on the carrier for sleep. If it works, I'd go for that until she's a bit bigger. At that age they just want to be close to mum and smell her and hear her heartbeat