+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 14 month old wont eat anymore

My DD of 14 months wont eat much at all anymore and im really starting to worry. She has always been small (25th percentile since birth) but i am even thinking of returning to formula just so i can get some nurtients into her!

It doesnt help that she has had a bad cold for the past 2 weeks and even less of an appetite. It worries me even more. She cant afford to loose much weight! She's about 8-9kgs!

She used to devour her weetbix but now only has a few mouthfulls.
    She plays and throws her food around. Im not going to offer alternative meals when she doesnt eat what i put infront of her. I tried that and it doesnt work.

She used to love sandwiches but now justmushes them up in her hand and throws them.

She will only have a mouth full of dinner and thats it.

The only snack she will happilyeat are apples lol.
    I have to force a yoghurt into her

Im really concerned. anyone had/having the same issues?
    Anyone offer advice or tips?

This has been going on for about a month or so now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been through this, we realised that she wanted control but found 'normal' foods to hard so we got the 'good' squishy packs from the baby section and she ate those, we couldn't stop her, we heated them up slightly and she happily ate them.

We had to eventually wean her off them back on to 'normal' food but without them she wouldn't have eaten. I was so set on only home cooked meals etc but she literally woud not eat ANYTHING I cooked for her. Maybe try those??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 17mth old DD2 is a terrible eater. its 10am here and im yet to get her to eat anything despite offering at least a dozen times over the last 3hrs 😥

though she is a big kid well above the 90th percentile ive no idea how she keeps growing so well she eats less than a small handful of food each day and has 2 x 200ml milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you think she could be teething?? My dd always used to go off her food when she was teething!! Just a though if she's normally a really good eater!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou ladies, i really dont want her to be eating the squeezy packet food even though she does like them, she will only eat 1/2 a packet! So not only are they expensive, it's also an expensive waste for us! i dont want to have to wean her off them when I already have batches of frozen home cooked meals for her that i am struggling to get into her.

I do agree about the control thing. She desperately wants to do it herself with the fork/spoon but she's just too un-co and i guess it would make anyone frustrated and want to give up! I do give her own spoon while i have mine, mostly she just throws it but sometimes she will dip it in the bowl. I encourage self feeding and even put vegies etc on a plate she she can use her hands to feed herself. It worked for a week then she didnt want that anymore

She drinks milk by the bucket. Currently 3x150mls in a sippy cup. I am trying to cut out the middle cup of milk and offer it with lunch rather than before her arvo nap. Im thinking it might be filling her up too much in the evening when i offer her dinner. But atm, i just want SOMETHING in her belly!

Im not sure about the teething - does that last for months on end? Past experiences with teething it lasted a week and she went back to her normal foods.

If it's a phase i wonder how much longer it's going to last before she comes to her senses and realises food is yummmmy!
    Meal times are really becomming a burden

Im worried about her iron and all the essential nutrients she should be getting that i dont believe she is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah teething wouldn't be the cause if it's been going on that long!! Normally only a couple of weeks!! Hope it all gets better soon!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written your post a month ago word for word. My now 16 month old hasnt been eating much at all either. It was like that for a month or two. Now this week she's been eating weetbix for breakfast again, and several courses at dinner. We stopped giving her milk before breakfast which helped, and I don't give her snacks in between meals because if I do she never eats dinner.

Funny you say that about the sandwiches too because my former sandwich loving girl went right off them. She loves the fruit squeezy things too but has thankfully gotten back into eating fresh fruit. Also discovered she loves corn on the cob.

Something I just realized is, she got her appetite back over the weekend while MIL babysat her. Perhaps having someone else feed her helped break the refusal cycle?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

nice piece of crumpet  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It just so happens I think dd has regressed back to pureed food. I found a few frozen pureed meals at the back of the freezer and thought id give them ago. One was chicken rice and tomatoes the other was a beer casserole. She scoffed them down with out any hassles.
    Why is she wanting pureed foods again? She has been eating normal "whole" pieces of vege pasta meat etc for at least the last 6 mths. I dont understand the sudden change? Is she just being lazy? I just want her to eat. I know im caving by giving her what she wants. Shes 14 mths and will only eat pureed foods :/

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heya,

My daughter is nearly 14months,She has NEVER been a good eater,we are lucky if she eats one meal a day,she occasionaly will snack on things but gags alot,
    She is ranging from the 10th-20th percentile,she cant stand things like sandwhiches etc,everything is pureed atm ,She is under a pedi and see's the gp regulary though,they said its okay atm,but to try to give more small feeds more regulary to see if they will take it that way-no go here atm,But dont give up!!!