+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I need help! I'll go crazy otherwise!

Hey ladies.
    So I have a 5 month old who sleeps in a sidecar cot on the side of our bed.
    He wakes maybe 3-4 times during the night and some of those times are for his 4 hourly feeds, the problem is that when he wakes for a feed he NEVER drinks the whole bottle, he'll have maybe half or a third and we are wasting formula. He will fall asleep after he's had that much.
    I am starting to wonder if he's not actually hungry but just waking out of habit, and because he's sleeping next to me.
    I'm not sure.

What are your experiences? I was told he should be sleeping through by now, he often will have proper food before bed as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm my 21month old STILL wakes 3-4 times a night also and just has maybe 100mls or so before falling back to sleep. I know he's not hungry becuase now when i offer milk, he'll knock it back.

As for wasting formula could you maybe only make up the amount that he drinks instead of a full bottle?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd just make up half a bottle

Quite normal though for a five month old though to wake for a feed or two (or three) during the night, but you could try patting him off though for one of those wakings perhaps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    Hmm my 21month old STILL wakes 3-4 times a night also and just has maybe 100mls or so before falling back to sleep. I know he's not hungry becuase now when i offer milk, he'll knock it back.

As for wasting formula could you maybe only make up the amount that he drinks instead of a full bottle?
    Yeah I think I'll just make up the smaller ones. Why on earth didn't I think of that? Haha!

Ok so
    It's normal that he's still waking!
    I really want to work out how to get him to sleep through before our next bub comes in December!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I'd just make up half a bottle

Quite normal though for a five month old though to wake for a feed or two (or three) during the night, but you could try patting him off though for one of those wakings perhaps?
    He's not much for the patting but I'm going to try it anyway! Lol! Anything goes when you need sleep right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    I was told he should be sleeping through by now
    By what resource?

I heard most babies will be sleeping through by the time they're two. My 2yo DDs still wake once a night (about 4am)

When they were little & started showing less interest in night feeds I started making up half a bottle instead.

Sometimes they had a little, sometimes they drank the lot. But they never asked for more & never woke up any earlier for the next feed, so with my girls, it was habit.

Then I cut the bottles down to 1/4.

In the end they were just having a 'suck' to resettle & weaned themselves.

But I'm sure they were almost one before I started doing this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had a similar problem with my 6mo who I thought was waking out of habit rather than actual hunger. So, I called Tresillian for help...

What they told me was that at 4 months old bubs body clock and sleeping patterns begin to form and so if you are feeding them to sleep at that age then that is what they have learned to expect. To resolve they suggested that he needs to learn not to expect to feed to sleep at night. So, if I still want to feed during the night bubs should be put back down to sleep still awake and then pat to sleep. Or, if I wanted to stop the feeding completely to try and resettle with pat/shhhh. Try resettling for 30 minutes and see if that works each time. If they get too distressed pick up/cuddle/feed do what you need to and try again the next time.

I did this last night and DS resettled after 10 minutes and didn't wake again. It was a hard 10 minutes as he did cry a bit but I was right beside him, didn't leave him to CIO. Tonight may be completely different, I don't know yet.

I should add that DS is 6mo (nearly 7) and has 3 solid meals a day and 4 milk feeds so is getting plenty of food.

Obviously do what you feel comfortable with, but my experience (although limited to 1 night) has been good so far. Maybe give them a call to review and see if they suggest the same?