+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Opinion please- should I get whooping cough shot cos my mate is having a baby

Hi ladies, I posted this in the conception section too... My mate is about to have her first baby and has asked me to get the whooping cough shot so I don't pass it onto her baby if I get it. I believe I'm a low risk person for contracting it and will only see the baby for about 2hours a fortnight! I am aware whooping cough can be fatal to babies. So should I get the shot? It would mean I would have to stop ttc for 28 days after having it and in truth I don't really want to do this as we have been ttc for 10 months with no success. I gave PCOS and had 3 failed rounds on clomid, I didn't ovulate on it at all. I'm not sure what I should do, any advice or opinions would be great, thanks so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    In your case I wouldn't have the shot due to TTC but I would also respect your friend and not come in close comtact with the baby.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    In your case I wouldn't have the shot due to TTC but I would also respect your friend and not come in close comtact with the baby.
    Exactly this.

I got the wc vax when my sister asked me to when she had her first, but I wasn't ttc at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the others. I'm going away 4 weeks after bub is born with a small group of close friends and I've asked them to get it, except for 2 who are TTC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But if you're ttc don't you want to get the shot to protect your own future bub too? Only last week in SA a newborn died of whooping cough. It's becoming more common due to people not vaxxing themselves and their kids. I know it's tough but 28 day delay is really a drop in the ocean. I'd do it

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (19-04-2012),giggle berry  (19-04-2012),Happy2be3  (19-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Um, okay, so it's normal for adults to get a whooping cough vaccine?? I did not know about this...do you all just pop along to the docs and get it done?? I haven't had a vaccine since I was about 14....and thought that was very normal....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Um, okay, so it's normal for adults to get a whooping cough vaccine?? I did not know about this...do you all just pop along to the docs and get it done?? I haven't had a vaccine since I was about 14....and thought that was very normal....
    It's not normal everywhere. Australia is one of the exceptions. The UK, for example, doesn't do it.

Unfortunately outbreaks of WC keep getting worse even though more vaccinations are done here than other countries so something is clearly. It working.

Having said that, both DH and I have ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    the hospitals and council run centres advocate mothers getting it just after birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very normal. That's why the GP's offer free shots for grandparent, aunts, uncles etc. I had a booster a week after I had my DD and have asked my mum to get it before she comes over for 2 weeks to meet DS.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Turk EnJayDee For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Yes, parents are now encouraged to get it. My hospital offered it for free but I just went to my GP to have it done after DD was born. It is a combined vaccine with tetanus and diphtheria so you're covered for those too.

The only people I encouraged to get it when I was pregnant with DD were her father, his parents and my parents.