+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't believe how uneducated alot of ppl still are about Pertussis. It is a known FACT that the majority of babies catch it off of close family and friends and or parents NOT other children .. It is recommended for all people who are TTC as you would certainly not want to be the person to give it to your newborn.

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleDove View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I live in Brisbane and I don't think I'm in a high exposure zone or anything. She has asked her siblings, patents and grandparents, and then also me but no one else. I absolutely understand if she would prefer me to stay away from the baby, no question. The hardest thing is having to stop ttc for a while as our journey has been so difficult so far. I really appreciate all your comments!
    I live in Brisbane, and I had whopping cough last year.. It actually did the rounds last year, was on the news and papers. If you're TTCing you should have all these shots up to date BEFORE HAND :-)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Women are actually encouraged to have this vaccine before pregnancy. I would do it. Not just for your friend, but for you as well. Have some serology done to see what else you need vaccinations for. Maybe your rubella immunity has dropped and that could be dangerous to your baby before birth.
    http://www.health.gov.au/internet/im...specialrisk232

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I live in Brisbane, and I had whopping cough last year.. It actually did the rounds last year, was on the news and papers. If you're TTCing you should have all these shots up to date BEFORE HAND :-)

Agreed. Get the vaccine. I'm in Bris n I know ppl who've gotten it this season already! Im spewing I didn't think of it b4 I got preg! Was so caught up in PCOS problems didn't c outsid my glass bowl now I'm getting it in hospital ASAP after bubs is here! I'm asking all family members to get it or to not visit bubs until he's able to b immunized. I got it 2yrs ago n I felt like I was dying during sum fits...I def wouldn't risk my baby to it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sasssssy For This Useful Post:

Ali G  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get it. It nearly killed my baby when she was 7 weeks old. My heart breaks and I son every time I see her tiny body fighting so hard just to breathe. Please please do it. (my mum gave it to my daughter so it is passed on by family members)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the posts that say just go and get it! You are TTC anyway its true you should have had it before falling pregnant.

We also asked anyone who wanted to hold our babies if they were vaxxed, and anyone who said no wasn't holding the baby. I have no doubt some would say this is over zealous but I don't care! In NSW The government are even sending out a caution to all new parents on the dangers of WC, we got one for our 5 week old when he was about 3 weeks old. This is a real problem.

statistics show 60% of babies that catch it catch it from a parent or carer. So that leaves 40% who catch it from transient visitors such as yourself who would be spending some time with this baby.

The reality is Whooping cough has claimed lives! I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for passing that onto any one but a baby, that would be just awful!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have asked people who want to see our child before 6w to have the vax. Personal choice but having had whopping cough I wouldn't wish it in anyone. Some are ok with it, others aren't but it's our choice and we are sticking to it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's not possible to get the vaccine as an adult in Scotland so my parents could only get it when they arrive which I figure is prob too late for it to be effective anyway....?

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/media...rch%202011.pdf

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessC View Post
    I would get it done for sure. Especially, if your ttc. You will need the jab yourself for when you have your baby. Much better than waiting til after the birth. Whooping cough is very serious in babies and there are horror stories everywhere.
    Exactly what I was going to say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    It's not possible to get the vaccine as an adult in Scotland so my parents could only get it when they arrive which I figure is prob too late for it to be effective anyway....?

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/media...march 2011.pdf
    I'm from the UK and my parents printed that out and took into the GP, and were able to get the combined diptheria tetanus pertussis vax. My sister also went to 2 different GPs until she found one who agreed to do it.Just get them to explain they are visiting you, as the GPs are aware of the situation here.

They had more luck going straight to the GPs than speaking to a nurse and receptionists about it, so they might have to make a couple of appointments, one to discuss, and then one for the vax.

The surgery will need to order the vax from a chemist, and then the customer has to take it to the GP for storage. It took a week or 2 for the vaccine to arrive from the supplier so they should allow several weeks for the whole process.

I was pretty insistent that everyone got vaxxed before visiting.