+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kindergartner handcuffed and charged for throwing a tantrum...

Have you guys seen this??

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...andcuffed.html

Crazy! Obviously without the whole story you can't form a balanced opinion, but it baffles me that handcuffing and dragging a 6 year old to the station and into a cell was the best way to deal with a tantrum (crazy though it may have been).

Discuss please, so I can hear some other perspectives (doesn't need saying, but please be kind about each others opinions. Feel free to disagree, but please don't do it *personally*)...

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    America In Queensland juveniles are allowed to be handcuffed if they present a risk to themselves or others.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure some teachers on this forum could easily top that bad behaviour story

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first day teaching preps on teaching rounds a student (lots of background) hit me, told me to F off and tried to strangle the teacher. All he got was spending the rest of the morning (about 3 hours) in the principals office. He came back into the room after lunch. I think this is why I'd rather not teach prep. He, too, was 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Seriously? The article doesn't say, but I hope the school called the parents as well as the cops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She injured a person, and was destroying property this is not ok and if you get a ride in the cop car they have to cuff you unless your getting help from them. If it was my child I would not be upset sounds like she was out of control we need to stop this behavior at a young age so we don't have more adults acting like this.
    ETA: schools have a routine thy call parents, if they can't reach them they have 2 more people on a list if they can't get ahold of them they call cops or cps

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was under the impression that children under the age of 10 (?) werent considered responsible for their actions, and the the Jamie Bulger case was the first time that this had been reassessed?

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Different country, different legal system. Even state by state their are different rules. I'm not saying that the rules are, in fact, different. Just that they may be. If I wasn't so lazy (and on my phone) I'd research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    I was under the impression that children under the age of 10 (?) werent considered responsible for their actions, and the the Jamie Bulger case was the first time that this had been reassessed?
    I know 9 year old have been tried as adults for murder and such. I think kids need to be held accountable at much younger then 10 my 5 year old knows right from wrong if she did this I would hold her accountable and a few hours in a holding cell at Juvie might be a good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    if you get a ride in the cop car they have to cuff you unless your getting help from them.
    cps
    That's not true.

10 years old is the age of criminal responsibility in Australia. Children under the age of 10 cannot be charged or prosecuted
    Last edited by Artful; 23-04-2012 at 22:20.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

delirium  (23-04-2012)