+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding and formula top up at night

My baby boy doesn't seem full and satisfied at night and is up a lot & gets very unsettled. He tries to drink but seems not enough is coming out. Anyone used formula at night for a top up? Please let me no ur thoughts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I BF during the day and give a bottle of formula before bed. It works really well for us as I know DS has had a good feed and gives us more flexibility so that DH can give the bottle too. I still BF if he wakes during the night.

ETA: Sorry, should add I started this at about 10 weeks old, started with EBM and then moved to formula after a few weeks.
    Last edited by ilovehats; 18-04-2012 at 20:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's called cluster feeding when babies feed for a few hours on and off. It's not you it's them!!

It's quite common and most bubs do grow out of it. It is essential in the beginning few weeks/months to establish supply.

My DD fed on and off from 4-8pm every night till 12wks. But she started to sleep longer stretches at night as her tummy was full.

IMO you are better off to just let bub feed. But if you are getting tired you could try a feed of ebm from expressing early in the day when supply is highest. This might give you a well earned rest that you need.

I personally wouldn't introduce a bottle before 10wks to avoid breast refusal. A sippy cup or a syringe works just as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is normal I'm afraid. My dd had colic and would be unsettled for hours on end every night after feeding hourly for a few hours. But, as she got older (maybe by 10 weeks) she had mostly stopped. I found rocking her in the electric baby swing helped settle her when she had stopped screaming but was still squirming.

My ds had reflux and he screamed all day & all night and was seemingly starving, especially I thought late at night. I tried a bottle of formula at night once and it made things 100 times worse. The problem was he had pain from reflux and milk soothed the pain, but then filled his tummy, making the reflux worse ... a nasty cycle indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    It's called cluster feeding when babies feed for a few hours on and off. It's not you it's them!!

It's quite common and most bubs do grow out of it. It is essential in the beginning few weeks/months to establish supply.

My DD fed on and off from 4-8pm every night till 12wks. But she started to sleep longer stretches at night as her tummy was full.

IMO you are better off to just let bub feed. But if you are getting tired you could try a feed of ebm from expressing early in the day when supply is highest. This might give you a well earned rest that you need.

I personally wouldn't introduce a bottle before 10wks to avoid breast refusal. A sippy cup or a syringe works just as well.
    I second this. I hope it gets better for you. I would try to avoid introducing a bottle, that's just me

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not uncommon for baby's to suckle all night. For comfort & hunger & supply.

I started 'topping' my girls up with formula at 6 weeks. One bottle would make them go 4-6 hours before the next feed.

I thought this was bliss until my supply started drying up & they cluster fed around the clock insted.