+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    I work in Retail so see both sides.. If you're not happy with her customer service complain to the store.. Complaining on here won't help anything :-) ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Well when I started this thread my intention was to
    1. vent
    2. gauge if my reaction to the way this woman treated me was in line with how others might have felt in the same situation.
    but thanks for your support :-)
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 19-04-2012 at 15:17.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZewZew View Post
    My local IGA look in my little clutch all the time and when I asked why she told me "people can steal lollies you know!"
    I will pay $150 on groceries but steal $2 worth of lollies? I never say anything because I always know they are just doing their job
    Well keep in mind that you can refuse if your bag is that small

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have worked in retail and most of the time people who steal show there bags still to create that illusion of innocents.

However, you never look them up and down "judging" them. That's just rude.

As for her touching the pram... Not on! From my understanding (well what I was told when working in retail, things could have changed by now) is that you never touch someone else's bags, prams, whatever, you just ask them to show you the contents ect in a polite manner.
    Otherwise it can be quite invasive.

I would defiantly be upset, I'm also one of those people who wait and hold my hand bag open ect.
    I've often had times where they ask you to show receipts ect for the contents of your bags, that makes me feel quite embarrassed even though there just doing there job lol.
    But to have them just yank the pram shade open would take me back and make me feel quite angry over anything else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

SpecialPatrolGroup  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an experience like this just the other day when walking out of a store after not purchasing anything. I happily offered my nappy bag open to inspect but the lady on the door proceeded to lift the blanket off the top of the capsule on my pram which was covering my sleeping baby!!!
    I was livid but instead of screaming at her (which I wanted to do!!) I just took note of her name and made a formal complaint to HR when I got home. What this lady didn't know was that, although I'm on maternity leave, I actually work in a different shop owned by the same company!!! And I know for a fact that what she did was not on!!

At work we are expected to ask politely to check bags, but can do nothing if they refuse and most definitely cannot lay a hand on them or their property. A lot of the time, shop lifters in our store don't even try to hide it coz they know we can't physically stop them. We have to rely on supplying security vision to police to reprimand these thrives.

On a funny not, I once asked a man to check his backpack and he obliged without a complaint. It was full to the brim with p0rn dvd's!!! Lol
    And he had a big grin on his face as if he was proud to show me!!! Kinda creepy!!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    On a funny not, I once asked a man to check his backpack and he obliged without a complaint. It was full to the brim with p0rn dvd's!!! Lol
    And he had a big grin on his face as if he was proud to show me!!! Kinda creepy!!
    Maybe he thought you'd like to bring the popcorn... Now there's a "how I met your mother" story!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought that when they have evidence of you stealing something, they pull you aside straightaway and not wait for you to get to the exit. I have seen kids and adults being spoken to by staff in the actual isle/department that they stole something from.

I would find it hard to distinguish between an honest mistake and a real theft. A few weeks ago I walked out of Coles and the shopping center with a tub of chocolate custard in the trolley. I had missed it when unloading the trolley because DS was sitting in the trolley seat and his big bum was hiding it from clear view. So I walked back and paid for it.
    Funny that the alarms didn't go off when I walked out of the shop though.

Also, I have had a few times that DS has grabbed something off the shelves and dropped it in my bag or trolley without me seeing it. So I am going to the checkout and take out everything I know I have put in there. I do not think of looking for 'extra' items that might've been 'accidentally' put in there by a certain someone
    Though I have now learned my lesson and I do a double check each time I get to the checkout. Yet still the alarms never go off

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    I thought that when they have evidence of you stealing something, they pull you aside straightaway and not wait for you to get to the exit. I have seen kids and adults being spoken to by staff in the actual isle/department that they stole something from.
    And just putting something into your bag isn't proof that you intended to steal it. I often put things into my reusable shopping bags so I can hang them off the pram, then empty them at the counter.

If they reprimand you in the store the onus is on them to prove that you didn't intend to pay. Technically you haven't actually stolen anything until you've left the store.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm sure people will disagree with me but I HATE bag checks. Not bc I'm a thief but bc I'm big on principle. By checking my bag they are, imo accusing me of theft which rubs me the wrong way. I know theft is a huge issue, and I do understand their reasons but what the hell are the point of the beepers if they don't use them? I know tags can be pulled off but have those plastic thingies that have to be taken off by staff with the code in them. The shop wins bc anyone walking out will beep. I win bc I'm not treated like a petty criminal.

When we lived in the city we shopped at BigW frequently.... who are big offenders of bag searches. Dh, also a man of principle one day blatently refused this one woman who was the Bag Check Gestapo and the look on her face was priceless... like.. what??? you said... no???

Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    My Dh used to work for a large retail franchise in Australia and despite what they tell you, they can't detain you before you've left the shop bc you haven't actually stolen anything until you leave. Then after you leave they have no lawful right to detain you. So it's all bluff.