Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't spend the time I used to on myself since becoming a mummy and you know what? I am happy to use being a mummy as the 'excuse'. My perspective on life has changed since having kids and spending time and money on things that I don't value any more is not something I will do.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I think people are just a bit irritated by how the OP is worded. I agree with you, look how you want, but don't assume others have 'let themselves go' because they don't go to salons. Everyone is different.
    True true but usually by about page 3 it turns into me vs her.
    The thing is that if your are truly happy with yourself and what you do makeup no makeup doesn't matter then you don't feel the need to bag out woman who do the opposite to you.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Oh, I can't just not be F'd because I'm a mummy.. I'm just lazy, and don't really feel the need to pretty myself up for anyone elses benefit. I don't begrudge those that do, and I guess most do it for THEMSELVES not for someone else, but I just cant' be stuffed with that. I have enough to do, and certainly no money for waxing or 6 weekly hair appointments! Barely have enough money to pay the mortgage.

I also thought the OP was worded a little rudely.

Why do I need an excuse?

What thread is this a spinoff from?
    I'd like to know this too

I sure do look after myself, I eat nourishing food most of the time, I get enough rest and relaxation, I exercise regularly, I ensure I am mentally sound by making sure I get enough adult interaction, brush my teeth twice a day, visit the dentist and chiro..

Do I maintain societies beauty regimen? Sometimes, I shave my legs at least once a week and my under arms just as regularly I wash my hair twice a week and brush my hair most days..I get my eye brows waxed every 6 weeks if I can and I trim my hoohar as much as possible. I wouldn't call any of that looking after myself though!

P.S I've only ever worn make up a dozen times, I hate the feeling of sludge on my face

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Ahhh the good old makeup wearing mum vs the all natural mum.
    No one wins people just throw around insults at each other.
    The women who have their hair done, wear makeup, nails and heels don't love their children and are vain. The ones who are natural are hippy loving crazy ferals. PMSL.

Im the fake/vain mum. But that's ok I still think the natural mums are fab.
    I don't think badly of women who wear make up, do their hair etc. It's not particularly time consuming once you get into the habit, and it doesn't need to detract from family time or other priorities.

But I do take issue with the tone of the original post, which to me says that women should be presented in a certain way, and if you're not then it's because you're lazy, "letting yourself go" or time poor, as opposed to just not interested.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-04-2012),soccer mum  (18-04-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Sorry for going all year five but the OP started it!!!

Yet another classic example of mumupmanship - ie I have eleventy billion children, my husband works away for 17 years at a time, I work 200 hours a week and I STILL have time to look BEAUTIFUL!!! You don't? Well what's wrong with you??!!!

Well that's how I interpreted the OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    This thread is making the assumption that women who don't do those things are letting themselves go, or not fulfilling some sort of obligation. Heaps of people just aren't that into all that stuff. Some of the sexiest people I know are natural faced, with cropped hair do's, jingling around barefoot in their fisherman's pants. You're not letting go by not spending a fortune on your hair.
    I 100% agree. I met my doula a few weeks ago. She's fit, toned, in her 40's (? guessing) has a cropped hairdo has 2 teenage boys and was wearing fisherman's pants & a singlet and oozed sensuality and happiness. Not a skerrick of makeup, nail polish, fake tan or hair product to be seen.

To answer the OP, I'm no longer a gym junkie, wear the most minuscule amount of makeup & go to the hairdresser when I need to. I gave up waxing years ago and shave when I can be bothered. Why? Cos I can. And I still look neat, tidy & presentable. As a bonus DH still thinks I'm attractive. So everyone's happy.

I do love a facial though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apart from the fact I cbf I do worry about all the chemicals in hair dyes, nail polish and make-up but that is probably just the crazy hippy in me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Where did this thread spin off from? (i scanned new posts but couldn't see anything)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do most of those things but not as often as I did pre baby probably because some days I don't leave the house so the effort would be wasted.

To change the topic slightly I highly recommend laser treatment instead of waxing/shaving :-)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Before having children I used to joke about my annual make up purchases and my bi-annual visit to the hairdressers. Nothing much has changed. I can't justify $250 for a hair appointment or the 3.5 hours it will take. I've never been a girly-girl and even less now. I don't understand the need/requirement to put make up on when I spent 90% of my day at home and usually my only visits are to the local shop, to drop DS at kindy, the playground etc. I have never liked the feel of make up and I always end up rubbing an eye and ending up with a big smudge around my eyes.

I do go to the gym 6 days a week though and make sure that we all eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day - this to me is far more important than make up and hair.

When my Dad was about 25 he calculated how much time the average man spends shaving. I don't know what the figure was but it was in the months. He figured life was too short and has never shaved since.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (18-04-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast