Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I do, but I agree with the others who say that your examples aren't looking after yourself, they are purely cosmetic. And that's cool, if you're that type of chick. I try to look good, I don't do fake though, so nah, don't spend a fortune at the hairdressers, or getting my nails done. I'm lucky because I have nice, easy to cut brunette hair that doesn't cost much to look funky. I wear groovy clothes cos I want too. I shave when I can
    be bothered, wax if when I like. It's a lucky dip for my lover! But I don't care how others look. Personality is what rocks my world.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (18-04-2012),Annabella  (18-04-2012),Benji  (18-04-2012),Etienne  (18-04-2012),Luvmydogs  (18-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (18-04-2012),MrJones&Me  (18-04-2012),PorkyPies  (18-04-2012),shelle65  (18-04-2012),Theboys&me  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do to an extent. I get my hair done and do my makeup the same as always. I try to exercise but don't too often, although I do yoga class, which sometimes I do weekly, other times monthly

My diet isn't the best though. I don't eat much and then when I do it is usually junk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes i do I still go to the beautician for waxing every 2 weeks and to the hairdresser every 8 weeks and i usually make time each week for painting nails, longer showers/baths ect its 'me time'. After not going for a 3 months after bub was born then finally going i felt so much better about myself and felt somewhat like my old self. The only thing i don't have time to do every 2nd day any more is wash and straighten my hair like i used to pre baby. For me personally these things are important for both my confidence and self esteem and makes me happy, i don't see why just because you have a baby you cant do these things any more unless its for financial reasons, i was doing them a long time prior to having a baby and will continue to do so, if iam happy my family is happy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jade84 For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to, however not having any money after rent and bills for myself can put a strain on that.. i am in desperate need for a haircut, new clothes new bras and undies, new make-up... I still keep myself as presentable as i can without the above mentioned though.
    Some days i couldnt be f'd though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, I can't just not be F'd because I'm a mummy.. I'm just lazy, and don't really feel the need to pretty myself up for anyone elses benefit. I don't begrudge those that do, and I guess most do it for THEMSELVES not for someone else, but I just cant' be stuffed with that. I have enough to do, and certainly no money for waxing or 6 weekly hair appointments! Barely have enough money to pay the mortgage.

I also thought the OP was worded a little rudely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Personally for me just because I'm a mummy doesn't give me the excuse not to maintain myself.
    Why do I need an excuse?

What thread is this a spinoff from?
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 18-04-2012 at 12:04.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (18-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I take care of myself more now than I did pre-baby! I fell pregnant just shy of 23 and loved to eat out, have the occasional (okay, regular) glass of wine or bottle of cider, I didn't exercise as I was naturally a size 6 and spent all of my money on nights out and clothes!

I don't miss that life at all, now I pay attention to my diet, exercise regularly and don't drink (I am still BFing but I don't miss drinking either). I no longer straighten my hair daily, I don't wear make up most of the time, but those things don't make me feel pretty, having naturally nice hair, skin and nails does so thats what I strive for! I want DD to feel great about herself without all of the material things

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (18-04-2012),Sindrii  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do yes, i shave every 3-4 days, underarms everyday, i get my hair done every 5 weeks ( I have a friend who is a hairdresser so this comes in handy ) i paint my own nails when the old paint goes a little ikky, i dont wear make up everyday, nor do i straighten my hair everyday, only if i have to go out to the shops or an appt, i go to the gym 6 days a week. I did all those things before my 16 week old baby was born, so its nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I don't pretty myself up but I do look after myself. I look after myself better now than I did before I had kids in terms of diet and exercise but beautifying myself? Nope. For me it is because I am far more comfortable with who I am to be more natural...when I was younger I'd use make-up, nail polish etc. to make my appearance more appeasing to the general public. I know that's not why everyone prettys themselves up but it is why I did and it was unhealthy and I'm much happier just being the natural me. I'm really not a girly girl either so I don't enjoy beauty treatments as such (as a one off sure, but to go and have a facial or manicure/pedicure on a regular basis I can think of 100 other things I'd rather spend my time on).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nuh. I wasn't massively into beautifying myself before having DS either though. But I did go to the hairdresser more regularly, exercised more regularly and shaved my legs more regularly BC (before child)! I don't even shower or wash my hair as regularly now. I do look after myself though. I give myself me time to read a book or whatever, meet regularly with friends and eat well.

Being a mum isn't an "excuse" to not look uh-mazing but not having as much time or money is. Some people take a massive financial hit when a parent stops work or changes to part time when children come along. Finding time is a huge issue as is perhaps the lack of child care in order to get facials done, etc.

And not everyone finds these things important.

I don't think we need to imply women have "let themselves go" because of circumstances beyond their control or simply because they have a different set of values.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

bugalugsmel  (18-04-2012),CazHazKidz  (18-04-2012),soccer mum  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find your use of the word "excuse" a bit odd tbh. Would you rather not do all that stuff but feel you have some sort of obligation to? Am just curious.

I look after myself in the way that I think makes me happiest and healthiest. I don't worry about anyone else's standards, just my own. I exercise when I can, eat as well as I can, buy new clothes when I want them, am a bit obssessed with having good hair.

I only shave my legs and underarms when someone is going to see them. Likewise the brazillian. I wear what I am most comfortable in. If I am going out getting dressed up and wearing makeup makes me feel most comfortable. At home, trackies and jumpers makes me feel most comfortable.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

MothersMilk  (18-04-2012)