+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WillsMumma View Post
    I'm a private patient at WCH and going through Dr Wagarachchi. I'm only 16 weeks and so far it's been a very good experience with him. My friend had Dr Wagarachchi as well for 3 of her children and was very happy with him.

I also heard that Dr Wilkinson was very good and first of all tried to get in with him but as you've said, he only looks after high risk patients so that wasn't possible.
    Thanks WillsMumma, good to hear someone's 1st hand experience. Congratulations also on being pg . I'm excited about starting to TTC this month, hoping to be in your position sooner rather than later.

If you don't mind me asking, have you had costs outlined and if so do you mind sharing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know people that have used Dr Wagarachi and like him. I can't remember the name of the female OB but have also heard good things about her.

I have chosen Dr Antonas who has admitting rights. His rooms are also across the road from WCH. He is awesome. Dr Svigos is the back up ob to Dr Antonas and I am happy with him too. It is worth knowing who the back up ob is because you could easily end up with them if yours is away.

Good Luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Islay For This Useful Post:

nomes83  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dr Antonas costs around $100 for the first appt and $30 per appt thereafter. His management fee is around $1600, paid mid pregnancy. The first appt is more expensive because he does a quick ultrasound in his rooms. He will refer you elsewhere for the 12 week and 20 week ultrasounds. These will cost you around $200 some of which you get back from medicare...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Islay For This Useful Post:

nomes83  (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nomes83 View Post
    Thanks WillsMumma, good to hear someone's 1st hand experience. Congratulations also on being pg . I'm excited about starting to TTC this month, hoping to be in your position sooner rather than later.

If you don't mind me asking, have you had costs outlined and if so do you mind sharing?
    I've had 2 appts and the 12 wk scan and I haven't had to pay anything so far. I believe it shouldn't cost anything from the sounds of things but it really depends on your private health insurance. I know mine doesn't cover the cost of a single room but that didn't bother me because I plan on leaving ASAP as I'd rather be at home.

My friend who had 3 children at the hospital privately didn't have to pay anything each time. Her births were uncomplicated, yet she got a private room for about 5-7 days. Longer than a shared room if you're going public.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WillsMumma For This Useful Post:

nomes83  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Private health covers the cost of your hospital admission but not the cost of your obstetrician. The person I know who went with Dr Wagarachi did not pay anything either so I think he might 'bulk bill' which means there are no gaps. Also they did not pay for any scans either which were all done at wch. You may want to double check this. Def a plus in there favour if the three dr's at WCH don't charge!

The other costs to consider is if you have an excess with your insurance company. Also you may pay for pediatritian and anaethetist (if you need one). However I think if you deliver at WCH these costs are unlikely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Islay For This Useful Post:

nomes83  (10-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Islay View Post
    Private health covers the cost of your hospital admission but not the cost of your obstetrician. The person I know who went with Dr Wagarachi did not pay anything either so I think he might 'bulk bill' which means there are no gaps. Also they did not pay for any scans either which were all done at wch. You may want to double check this. Def a plus in there favour if the three dr's at WCH don't charge!

The other costs to consider is if you have an excess with your insurance company. Also you may pay for pediatritian and anaethetist (if you need one). However I think if you deliver at WCH these costs are unlikely.
    I've been told by the WCH that the 3 OBs that work there- wagarachi, hodge and Matthews "bulk bill" but I didn't know what that meant at the time- perhaps you don't pay an OB fee? I have silver hospital cover so would pay a gap per day for the room until the max is reached. I have heard any scans done at the WCH are not charged for. Definitely a bonus if this correct for choosing one of those 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Nomes for letting me know about the bulk billing, I have been wanting to know if this was the case. I am guessing you know about the midwifery group practice at WCH too? They managed my first pregnancy and were great but as my pregnancy ended up high risk I decided on an Ob this time. Best of luck with TTC I hope it is a quick and easy journey for you ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've looked at the different birthing options at the WCH and lots of people had good things to say about the midwifery group practice but at this stage I feel more comfortable with the OB model. Thanks for the well wishes on our TTC journey, had last active pill yesterday so the journey has literally just started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, just wanted to add that Dr Jeffery Hillen in Prospect is AMAZING!! Couldn't recommend him highly enough! He delivers at WCH, NorthEastern & Calvary