+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anti-nausea medication in labour

I don't want to feel sick or be sick in labour, which seems to be fairly common from what I have read. Has anyone asked or been given anti-nausea medication at the start of labour as a matter of course, or wish they had? Did it work? Are there any effects on bub?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where did you hear that people felt nauseous during labor?

Drugs can be very dangerous for babies. If you took drugs that were safe for the baby you wouldn't be able to feel the affects.

I read the book "natural childbirth with the Bradley Method" it's very helpful and informative! I've never read of anyone following their method that had to worry about nausea.

Good luck, and congrats!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eclecticdreamer For This Useful Post:

Artful  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wasn't nauseous during labour, but at one point I thought I was going to throw up - it was just the way the muscles were contracting at the time and didn't last long at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticdreamer View Post
    Where did you hear that people felt nauseous during labor?

Drugs can be very dangerous for babies. If you took drugs that were safe for the baby you wouldn't be able to feel the affects.

I read the book "natural childbirth with the Bradley Method" it's very helpful and informative! I've never read of anyone following their method that had to worry about nausea.

Good luck, and congrats!
    Thanks, I will have a look into that.
    I heard it lots of places - mainly from friends and the show "One Born Every Minute". I think it can be due to pain, contractions on the tummy and/or reaction to gas or pethadine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced and vomited. But it was the last thing on my mind and there's so much going on you dont have time to worry really good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had nausea whilst in labour with DD..

It started close to the start of my labour. i couldn't stop throwing up. The mw gave me an injection to stop the nausea as i was losing a lot of fluid by constantly throwing up. Sorry i don't know what it was exactly but they asked me before giving it to me, and of course i said yes, there is nothing worse than going through the pain of contractions and throwing up as well.
    It was weird too because i am not generally a vomity person, i can hold off from vomiting at the worst of times, just sub-conciously too, so it was weird that i had no control of it whilst in labour.
    I was induced though so i don't know whehter or not that had something to do with the nausea.

Oh and there was no complications or effect on DD because of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lovemybubbas For This Useful Post:

Artful  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I threw up but it was only because I had tea and toast while labouring.

If you don't eat during labour and only have something light while at home before going to hospital you probably won't be sick. I didn't feel a all nauseous or sick, my body obviously rejected the idea of food though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyChicken For This Useful Post:

Artful  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I kept thinking I was going to vomit, I never did though and on a scale of things I was feeling the occasional nausea wasnt too bad.

But I had bad morning sickness in the first and early in the second trimester. I took maxolon, safe for pregnancy (and breast feeding) it might help? Maxolon can be injected as well if you're desperate so maybe discuss that as an option if you become nauseas rather than 'just in case'?

I had the injection once when I went to the gp after vomitting at least hourly, and not eaten in days, I begged to make it stop, I was hungry by the time I got home. So its pretty effective imo.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt feel nauseas in labour but a few girls in my due date group threw up but honestly I think it was the last thing on their mind!

I did have the runs in very early labour but that was it

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Thanks, I will have a look into that.
    I heard it lots of places - mainly from friends and the show "One Born Every Minute". I think it can be due to pain, contractions on the tummy and/or reaction to gas or pethadine.
    if you are given pethidine then you automatically receive anti-nausea meds with it not for gas though - and you'd have to specifically ask (but not all women get nauseous from gas - and they may not give you the meds).

That said - not all women get nauseous - and those that vomit due to transition will do so with or without the meds, because its a response to the baby hitting certain nerves inside your body. So you can ask for the drugs - but getting them at the start of labour won't help, and certainly won't make a different when you're in transition.

oh and having an empty stomach won't stop nausea - just means you won't have lots to throw up if you do end up chucking - so not worth starving yourself imo

but you're best to ask your dr/midwife what the hospital or their policies are, because so many of them have different protocols.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Artful  (19-04-2012)