+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling overseas with baby?

DH is going to Europe for work for a few weeks in late July/early August and I have the opportunity to go with him. DS will be 5 months old. Does anyone have any comments on how they found travelling overseas with a baby? We haven't even made the 1.5 hour car trip to visit family with him yet but we have to decide about overseas very soon! DS is usually very good in the car.

Any opinions gratefully accepted!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow, that sounds like an opportunity too good to miss! The younger the better when travelling with babies, so 5 months would be ideal as you probably wouldn't have started solids yet. You must insist on a bassinette- try and fly with an airfline that allows you to pre-arrange this. Less is more- each time we have travelled with kids, we have gone with carry on baggage only- it can be done! Lugging around baby and huge suitcases is not necessary and ruins holidays and a 5 month old won't need much at all. Also, try and fly with an airline that allows you to keep your pram right up until you get on the plane, rather than checking it in 3 hours before. There can be restrictions on the size of drinking vessels, such as bottles, so if bottle fed, read the airline's policy on things like this. Try and stay somewhere where you have easy access to washing facilites- if you can do a load of washing each day or so, it will mean you don't have to take much. Less is more when travelling with kids! Tip: read your airline's policies on luggage, bottles, travelling with kids, prams etc down to the fine print- often they will allow you to take extra carry on if travelling with a child and you can avoid checking in all together. That way, when you arrive in Europe after 24 hours, you can walk straight out of the airport. Planning is the key and you can minimise many disasters by planning well. Also, be prepared for bubs to be out of whack with sleep for 3 days of so each way. As soon as you get on the plane, try and get bubs into the time zone of where you are going. Have a wonderful time, I would go in a heartbeat

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its completely do-able. We went to UK for 3 weeks with DS who was nearly 4 months at the time. The pp has given some great advice already re flights and stuff. Just think ahead and be prepared i.e if driving you will need to rent a car seat for bubs, remember to book hotel rooms with cots etc.

The only con, is that when you go on holiday with a baby it's not really a holiday as you still have to do all of the usual feeding/sleeping/bathing etc, its just that you are in a different place. So be prepared for that feeling, but enjoy as much as possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you breast feeding or using formula?

I did read in the la leche league that women using formula and bottles that got delayed were in serious trouble with running out of food.

Anyway newborns do really well when being fed for take off and the landing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eclecticdreamer For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If bottle feeding just remember that nestle branded formulas are not for sale in a few countries and you might have to take your whole supply with you.

I went to Singapore, India and Dubai with a 5-6mth old and had a great time. We only used a carrier for long distances and a sling for feeding/flying. Bub was fully bf'd and we delayed solids till we got back. I personally didn't like the bassinette seat and requested another one with a spare seat next to me instead. I flew over with DH and back myself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (23-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we've not gone long hauk, but have taken our 20month old overseas, and will be travelling with a 4month old and 2.5yr old in december.
    i think littlier is easier. dont have to worry about food for them, they still sleep a lot and dont talk back yet

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Check out the blog Bubs On The Move... Great advice incl. a list of kids play areas at different airports!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah at that age, no problem at all! The younger the better. Just have a little bag of familiar/new toys that he can play with. When you get to your destination, expect the time zone to affect sleeping. Give 2-3 days of adapting and it'll be fine after that. Littlies adapt to their environments quite quickly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

MrsBubbles  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Check out the blog Bubs On The Move... Great advice incl. a list of kids play areas at different airports!
    I Googled Bubs On The Move blog but couldn't find it... do you have a link, Rainbow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclecticdreamer View Post
    Are you breast feeding or using formula?

I did read in the la leche league that women using formula and bottles that got delayed were in serious trouble with running out of food.

Anyway newborns do really well when being fed for take off and the landing.
    I'm breastfeeding so that shouldn't be a problem.